The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What goes around.... (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Back in 2006 I had an prickly exchange in a thread in Inner Thoughts with another Café member. (Vince Mendoza)

It's quite usual for such exchanges to quickly, if not instantly, turn into something unpleasant here on the Café, especially it seems, in this section which is why I'm posting here rather than in Inner Thoughts. In fact it seems to be the norm for people to take umbrage or pot shots at the slightest provocation, real or imagined.

The exchanges I and Vince had were both robust and pointed but we still both managed (just) to keep our exchanges in the discussion civil... and as a way to try and cement this, or at least leave it on that footing, I suggested that if we were ever to meet face to face I'd be happy to buy us both a beer with the hope that we'd both get on despite our obvious current friction.

At the Event and Session Convention this weekend (Jan 8-10) I saw someone doing some lovely ring and rope magic. When they'd finished I went across to tell them how much I'd enjoyed watching what they'd just performed. The chap thanked me for the compliment and asked me if I'd like a drink. It was at this point that I caught his name on his Convention name badge and realised that it was the guy who I'd had the pointedly sharp exchange with back in 2006.

I told Vince that actually I would be getting the drinks as I had promised him one on a previous occasion... and then explained why and who I was.

We then had the first of quite a few beers together and over the weekend of the convention we got to hang out a fair bit. Vince turned out to be one of the most gentle and pleasant people I've ever met. He also does some great magic which he performs with a disarmingly light touch. It was great to get to hang out with him and a joy to see him doing stuff in the chill out areas.

Had our 2006 exchange got out of hand in the way that many in the mentalism sections of the Café do, I might have lost the opportunity, before I'd even met him, of the friendship of someone that I feel better for knowing,

So... I urge you to think twice about what you post and try an keep in mind that we all benefit from keeping our interactions, civil at the very least.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Dick Christian always rubbed me the wrong way on these forums. I found him to be rude, abrasive, and just generally not very pleasant. I know not everyone felt this way, but it was certainly my impression. A number of years back I spent the day with him at Alain Nu's place. He was witty, charming and just a pleasant and interesting person to be around. He was full of interesting stories and it was quite a lovely time. My live impression of him sat in stark contrast to his Café counterpart.

I'm sure many of us have similar stories but they all boil down to this: On these forums we tend to focus on our differences. Differences of opinion, differences in presentation and style, differences in points of emphasis. All of this focus on differences obscures the fact that most of us are far more alike than we are different, which is how we ended up congregating here in the first place. Sometimes it takes a face-to-face meeting for us to remember this.

Thanks for the reminder, Neal.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Best thread I've seen in a LONG time.

By a country mile.

Best,

Atlas
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Excellent thread indeed.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
This is such a great reminder for all us. Sometimes I find the comments of some folk most "curious" and I wonder what it would be like to talk with them face to face. I sometimes suspect not and it will s then that I feel more inclined to share more directly. To speak to someone as if their experience means nothing is almost the hallmark of this forum.

Jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Well isn't that a big surprise!
Seems that some of those alias names and avatars on here are real human in the end after all.
Reading some of the unrelated topic posts on here I always thought they where spambots LOL.

Indeed very good and positive thread and it even isn't christmas time Smile
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
I'm the opposite. People think I'm polite and flexible on the Café when in real life I'm the most miserable SOB you ever met. ;-)

Just kidding... I've actually gotten into a few nasty arguments here but the truth is, I never take it that seriously and always remember that we're only seeing an aspect of a complete human being in these discussions. And everyone behaves differently online than they do in person. The fact that you're typing into a computer vs. talking to another human being face to face makes it much easier to be prickly and contentious.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
Atlas got me a parking ticket last year, but I forgave him and love him to bits Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
When debating on the forums I always try my hardest to attack the argument rather than the person, attack the post, not the poster if you will. Once or twice I have strayed closer to the line than I'd like and I dare say there are some that would call me a master-debator but I find it pays to always remember that it is a real human being on the other side of the screen ... and he may be bigger than me Smile

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
A master what? Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I had the same kind of interaction with our old friend Parmenion here at the Café.

Watched him rudely and sometimes crudely respond to innocent queries.

Met him some years ago by way of Rasmus at MV.

Pretty cool guy.

Still a know it all - but hey he does know it all (or a lot).

He got banned here but I do miss his directness at times.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, E.E. wrote:
Excellent thread indeed.

I also was rude to Ever myself when he started...

and now I want to hug his Avatar as he is one of the most helpful people on the whole green machine Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

I also was rude to Ever myself when he started...

and now I want to hug his Avatar as he is one of the most helpful people on the whole green machine Smile

Thank you Brett! I can state the same about you my friend Smile you're one of the most knowledgeable people around here and your posts are always full of insight.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, rasp wrote:
Atlas got me a parking ticket last year, but I forgave him and love him to bits Smile

Lol - I got one TOO!!

Best,

Atlas
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
I had the same kind of interaction with our old friend Parmenion here at the Café.

Watched him rudely and sometimes crudely respond to innocent queries.

Met him some years ago by way of Rasmus at MV.

Pretty cool guy.

Still a know it all - but hey he does know it all (or a lot).

He got banned here but I do miss his directness at times.

I do miss parmenion. We followed each other around the Café with our hit and run posts. Met him at mindvention. Nice guy. I understand him.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I wasn't expecting this topic to get any contributions and thought it would slip off into the distance without a mention.

I'm glad it has found some resonance with some of you and thanks for saying so.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
People who have met me know I'm actually delightful, in stark contrast to the vitriolic outbursts I tend to have here.

Only joking.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2016, bevbevvybev wrote:
People who have met me know I'm actually delightful, in stark contrast to the vitriolic outbursts I tend to have here.

Only joking.

What? About being delightful? Hahaha I am full of it!!

PS: thanks I just got my hard copy of cartomancy from amazon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What goes around.... (20 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL