The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Marks from palming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
I'm fairly new to coin magic (after being strictly cards-only for years), and so have been practicing classic palming. The issue comes from the fact that I've been using old Irish 1p coins; they're very tarnished and when I palm them, that rubs off on my hands. While this makes it look like I've got bruising from practicing so much, making magic look almost 'hard' (in the 'street' sense) and earns me points with people that can't guess the actual reason, it concerns me that this could well be a bit of a give away in performance.
Anyone know of a way to keep the coins polished, or some other way to stop this?
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
There is a product called semichrome that is made in germany. We can get it in the USA. It has worked on every metal that I tried it on. Copper ,silver, magnesium... you name it. Highly recommended.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I actually get the marks from polished coins, copper coins, silver coins, clad coins... (I hope you got the picture by now) Smile

I believe it just comes with the move. I do however notice it more if I use a little violin rosin on the edges (as David Roth has suggested before). BUT...All that being said, I think it is a "running without being chased issue" that we all face from time to time. I have had light rings to dark calluses thru the years and have NEVER been called out or even questioned about it. I have had people "speculate" that I was secretly holding the coin at one point but I openly flash both palm up and palm down hands with fingers spread and ask "Where???" then hand them the coin and ask them to show me. (only for the guy that really is going out of his way to challenge me), They often stick it near the right spot only to drop it immediately and give up.

I do not think they hurt you unless you really bring attention to them.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ryguytheguy
View Profile
New user
California
22 Posts

Profile of Ryguytheguy
The same problem happens when I play French Horn on a horn where the lacquer has come off. Usually washing my hands with a mildly abrasive soap gets it all off. If you get clammy hands the moisture could also contribute greatly to this, and drying your hands often should help. With a horn I can put some felt over the contact points to prevent this, but with a coin you might want to try coating it with clear nail polish. Hopefully this helps, let me know what works and what doesn't.
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
Cheers guys. I'll have a play with the option you've given me. It's not like I'm at performing standard yet, so it's not exactly urgent. Tbh, coin magic scares me much more that card magic. Far too much acting and pretend to pick up/drop coins...
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Try to hold the coin more lightly.
Classic palm should be light enough that you can tap the back of the hand and the coin will fall out. Adjust a little more pressure if needed for routines. you do not need to hold it super tight though.
The tarnishing leaving a mark has never been a problem for me. Us the advice given so far.

Hope that helps.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I use silver coins personally and don't seem to have this problem
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I was going to offer the same as Mobius303. You should use just enough pressure to keep it in place. If you are going light, might want to try a different coin that won't tarnish so quickly. But I imagine some of that could be due to the oils, and sweat of your skin.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
The irony of developing callouses through excessive force is that this allows one to hold a coin in CP with nearly zero effort! This not only makes for a good looking CP, it frees up a few extra neurons, which can then be used to focus on more difficult bits.

I've also had ( ) callouses for years: after a while yours will (likely) fade to where they are basically invisible. Oh, I've been playing stringed instruments for decades: the tips of my left hand fingers feel like leather, but look 'normal'. So, fwiw, I recommend you keep up the shredding.

Sorry for the late response, missed this one I guess...
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Good way to build that cp is to practice the muscle pass. It has greatly improved mine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Marks from palming (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL