The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Breaking elastics? :( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Just purchased "a trick." Not going to say as it will give the gimmick away. Finding it hard to talk about this one, but I'm not allowed in the Secret Sessions area yet!

My point is, the elastics I am using seem to break way to easily. whilst practicing, after 4 attempts usually they snap. Do I need a new set of bands? Bigger ones?

Put two and two together. The forum we are in (show me money) and the thing I am on about.

Am I taking the whole secrecy thing too seriously?
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Flec,
I think simply mentioning elastics for your coins will suffice. Folks who don't know what you're referring to probably can't help anyway, and folks who DO know what you're talking about will help if they can.
It sounds like one of to things. Either the elastics are inferior, or there's a sharp edge. I think I'd contact the dealer and explain what's happening. They will likely help in whatever way they can.
Cheers!
Dan McLean Jr
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Quote:
On 2004-03-03 17:00, Flec wrote:
Just purchased "a trick." no goin to say as it will give the gimmick away. finding it hard to talk about this one, but I'm not allowed in the secret sessions area yet!

my point is, the elastics I am using seem to break way to easily. whilst practising, after 4 attempts usually they snap. do I need a new set of bands? bigger ones?

put two and two together. the forum we are in (show me money) and the thing I am on about.

am I takign the whole secrecy thing too seriously?

Actually, I think you should be congratulated for taking the secrecy thing as seriously as you do.

So, um... congratulations!

As to your query, it probably is a good idea to check with your dealer for specific advice. As a stopgap measure, you might try putting two bands on. I sometimes do that and have never had any problems with it.

Cheers,

Cy.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I would go for the sharp edge hypothese. Talk to your dealer before beginning to try to settle that yourself (you could damage the stuff, and then no dealer will agree to talk about that with you anymore...)
Jonathan.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Thanks a bunch guys.

cant see or feel any sharp edges, but know the elastics are quite old (a year or so in the bag, untouched).

think ill justb uy some new elastics and see what happens.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
You can go to your local dealer or your local dentist for the correct bands. Since they "keep on breaking", you may have some old ones that had been stored for many years and eventually rubber looses its elasticity. If it is the f******* coin, two bands can help. If it is the fl****** coin, make sure you are using a sticky substance (thinly smeared blue tack or superglue weakened with fingernail polish remover -something that does not destroy plastic or rubber when you replace the bottom piece.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Both thems that flip and fold need non-brittle latex bands to 'play' properly. Can we use ~ for one and ... hmmm what's a nice symbol for flipper? I don't see a dolphin key here. Perhaps @ would work?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Okay, this might just be the place to ask this: Does it matter where you store the little things? Am I the only person keeping them in the refrigerator?

Shouldn't they be stored under the same conditions as "needle through balloon" balloons?

And what about a layer of talc, or cornstarch?

And the last time I took my kid to the orthodontist, she was allowed to pick which colors she wanted. They had both metallic silver and copper. Anyone ever try these? (I am not allowed to mention anything like this to my daughter's orthodontist, for fear of "embarrasing" her. You parents of teens know what I mean.)
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Years ago there was a very small rubberband for this product. Then later, all the manufactures started to use the dental bands. These are only ment to be used once and replaced. I know that is not want you would like to hear but that is what the use life is expected.

The older bands did last, but band sales were down so they have all changed. It also make the coin work faster.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I keep them in the fridge too Curtis. Ziplock baggie, and on ice... that seems to keep them "fresh".

Unfortunately, my daughter's teeth are too straight, so I'm forced to purchase my @ and ~ bands from a dealer. I never heard the talc hypothesis, but wouldn't that tend to dry them out?

Oh yeah, BTW, Howard over at the Magicwarehouse.com sell good quality bands for something like a couple bucks for 50. In case other guys have kids with too straight teeth Smile
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Hmm... so when my elastic snapped as well its because of the band?

I always kept my stuff in the cupboard. Putting it in the refrigerator sound like a brillant idea.... though I prefer to keep all my magic stuff in one place. I mean like, what if someone comes and mistakes it for mini-calamari ??? LOL

Actually, after mine snapped, I haven't gotten down to replacing it, looks like a task to me as I haven't done it before.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Once again, thanks!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Nobody gonna go cryogenic... and offer original rubber bands from vintage dates?

That news of silver bands is most welcome. And the copper ones for copper clad gaffs ... wow!

Thanks
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
You could bring that concept to the home shopping network...

"... we only have a few of these left ladies and gentlemen, and they're going fast! The original rubberbands from Bob Swadling's cousin's half brother's flipper coin! Once they're gone, they're gone! We're blowing these out at $67.89... for on-line orders only!! Get it on stretch pay... Be dialin!"

Seriously though... they have copper and silver bands?? I need to find a source for those.

I did a search on the Net for rubberband suppliers, and you'd be surprised how many there are, and how cheaply rubberbands can be purchased, if you buy 10 boxes of 500 each at a time. It took less than 5 minutes to find a supplier that has silver colored bands. I found no copper colored options, but I did find red, which is close enough for me. Put in "rubberbands, custom sizes, colors" in any search engine and you'll be in business.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
While not going mad and freezing my rubbers Smile I would say avoid storage in a warm dry place. This will rot the band fast.
Never had one break in under 15 operations though. Mine seem to last ok.

Ps. thanks for the tip on dental bands in attractive colours Smile
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The coin in the bottle booklet shows how to take care of the problem on the cheap coins as long as you are using new bands and you follow those directions, the problem will go away. On more expensive coins this should be done for you. (If the maker is any good at all)On older coins clean the grooves with a tiny bit of acetone, phosporic acid or other harsh solvent(IF you know how to use these) in a well ventilated area. Use a flat square toothpick peice that fits the groove to clean out the old crud.

Do not touch the bands with your hands. Poke your fingers through plastc wrap and tear out "little skins" for the fingers that handle the bands.

If you do all this, you will hardly ever have broken bands. Do change them regularly when performing regularly with them, just to be safe.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

A quick read of the Downs book and a trip your local glazier may offer you some other opportunities.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Lucky me...my brother is a Dentist!!!

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Flec, you think you've got problems?

Check out:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&11
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I can sell UK people the bands (in pks of 100) as I bought a load, PM if interested.
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Breaking elastics? :( (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL