The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Recognition among magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Hi, my name is Don, ok, I'd really like to market a video or a book.

I have a lot of great original material.
I know people always say that about their own material, but from a truly objective perspective, I know my stuff is good. However, I know that is not enough to sell a book. You need some kind of reputation among magicians.

This is something I can't seem to develop. They talk about my effects but never me. I just don't mix well with some magicians and that truly hinders me. I've competed and I was very disappointed when I found out how political that could be. So I was just wondering if there was some way I could create a name for myself among magicians without sacrificing my personality.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Donnie, nope, you cannot make a name for yourself without sacrificing your soul!

Now that I've satisfied my need for sarcasm, I can tell you something: you may be building more of a reputation than you realize. I recently ran into an older fellow-magician at the Magic Castle. I did not recognize him, but he remembered watching me do a tabled palm at a magic shop in Hollywood --- over 28 years ago! Gosh, I didn't even think I did one very well. He asked if I'd do the effect ("Rise, Rise, Rise") and coach him on the palm. I was stunned.... and, of course, very honored.

Honestly, Donnie, I think that if I had known I was respected way back then, I may have been a bit insufferable.

You raise a very good point, though. Often, technical competence is not enough. People have to feel warmly toward you, or, at least, you have to present an unforgettable
"persona." For instance, I don't especially like the act that the Unforgetable Jonathan has in Las Vegas. In fact, I don't like it A LOT. But, you see, I just advertised his show!

You mentioned that you "don't mix well..." Are you somehow offensive or tactless? Do you fail to show appreciation? Or are you simply shy? These are hard questions, but if you want to figure it out, you may have to sit quietly and think about your social skills.

By the way, I think your question was pretty brave. Putting yourself under a microscope for others is not easy.

How about letting us know what kind of
"stuff" you'd like to publish? Sounds like it could be interesting!

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6431 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
In this day of digital video and home editing equipment it should be easy for you to shoot your own video and sell it. Do a short video that has maybe 8 or so of your effects and see how it sells.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
When I say I don't mix well, I mean people find me to be outspoken. I am pretty loud and funny, kind of abrasive, I guess.

I am a great performer and I love to chat but I have an energy, almost like A.D.D. Some magicians talk about such useless *****, and when I change the subject they get offended.

I understand magic is about more than tricks it's everywhere, but a lot of guys don't get that, and I think the fact that I do frightens them. As for my stuff, I have a lot of really off the wall creations.

If you're interested we can talk, you could be my first consumer. I am 16 by the way, so if that shocks you and you don't wanna talk about my effects I understand.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6431 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
16 or not, you should be able to gather the resources to shoot a simple video and test the waters on how it does. Maybe shoot a home video and send a copy to L and L publishing and see what they think.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Recognition among magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL