We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How would you react to a Rider Waite tarot without numbers or words? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
I've been playing around and come up with a deck that has no words or numbers.

How do you think a sitter in a private reading would react?

How would YOU react to such a deck?

See link

http://imgur.com/a/W1AD8
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Looks very nice.
Without words or numbers there is more room for interpretation.
JLHypnosis
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JLHypnosis
Probably closer to original design without the words. I do like how they look and think they leave more to the imagination and "intuition" or the reader. From a sitters perspective they probably do not care. - health - love - money. That is it.
Depending on how you read if it is intuitively from the picture or if you are using a system could also effect how the readings go.

Jesse
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
I believe the sitter does not care (it could even be more impresive for some sitters that consider that you need to know you cards a lot better to use such a deck), plus, it looks very nice Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
For most part, a sitter would not know the difference.

I don't care for the Waite-Smith deck. Waite was a very clever librarian and scholar, but in my opinion, trying to squeeze the Golden Dawn magic system into this tarot was over reaching, I don"t agree with some of the changes he made in the structure, plus the artwork was plagiarized.

As for,doing readings without the numbers or names, a well versed reader can read anything. I do prefer the numbers and names as they aid in explaining the card to the sitter; but I can, and have, worked with decks without these.

Tony
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
If you want to get away from associations like names, numbers and attributions, you could use a Dixit deck: http://www.igromaster.com/images/dixit_3/dixit_3_02.jpg
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
By eliminating the numbers and just using pictures to interpret the cards might get the sitter to focus on the card and its art a little more closely -- but it also eliminates the blend of numerology into reading mix. Even though I rarely use the numbers for the raw data -- sometimes they offer a tie to a sitter's date, magic number, or can add up to someting different.

There are a number of meditation decks of just pictures -- and these can be a treat for some sitters -- but the Rider-Waite and its images/numbers are a complete system that has had soooooo much written about it that tampering with it seems to be using tie better used to develop something new.

Just my opinion though -- having some 75 different decks in my usable collection -- and some 15-or 20 additional I will never use for verious reasons.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
I would say that the absence of numbers and words is not a problem. In fact this format places am emphasis on the patterns in the image. If we accept that the patterns are what actually motivates readings of anything, then this approach opens the door to massive interpretation which is always a good thing.
John
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I think there are 3 'levels' to learning the cards. First, you write the meanings on them all. Second level, you know their names and meanings, and don't need the notations. The 3rd level is when you know them so well you don't need the physical cards. You imagine the layout and the cards fill in by themselves in your brain.

Your non-textual deck fits just fine between steps 2 and 3 and I would imagine would be a nice help and a very interesting deck to play with. Go for it!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1559 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2016, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I don't care for the Waite-Smith deck. Waite was a very clever librarian and scholar, but in my opinion, trying to squeeze the Golden Dawn magic system into this tarot was over reaching, I don"t agree with some of the changes he made in the structure, plus the artwork was plagiarized.

Tony

My understanding is that he deliberately left out or changed details to preserve the secrecy of the Golden Dawn's teachings.

Barry
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4485 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The Rider-Waite deck is of historical significance because it was the first deck to have illustrated minors. However, I find the artwork crude and not to my liking. Since then, there have been many decks that I consider much more artistic. However, the R-W is the best-selling deck of all time, and because of this, many books use it as a reference point.

The Crowley Thoth deck actually does a far better job of representing the Golden Dawn system and I really like the overall style used, but many folks have a negative reaction to Crowley (plus the minors are more evocative of a particular emotion rather than an allegorical representation of its meaning.

Now there's a plethora of decks, and a reader will be able to find a deck that appeals to their specific aesthetic sense. In the end, the cards are merely a collection of symbols, which are interpreted by the reader as a springboard for a cold read. There's no reason why a deck needs numbers or words, and I applaud the effort to produce a deck that's simply images.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Actually, it was not the first deck to iilustrate the minors. In fact, many of the "illustrations" of the minors were copied from the Sola-Busca tarot deck (which does have "artwork for all the minors and is from the 15th Century). The Sola-Busca artwork is so much richer than the illustrations in the Waite-Smith deck.

It was one of the first (just a couple hundred years later than the Sola-Busca), and it was the first commercial deck to layer the tarot with the esoteric symbolism from the Golden Dawn tradition.

An exploration of the magic side of tarot can be found in Donald Tyson's book, Portable Magic

Alieister Crowley followed up on the Waite-Smith deck with his own, less commercially successful, Thoth deck. He reversed several of the changes made by Waite and changed meanings of the cards and their magical connotations from what Waite had published. Crowley considered Waite an enemy and competition.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4485 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Ah, yes . . . I had forgotten about the Sola Busca deck.

Thank you for the correction.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
No numbers or words creates greater freedom to use ones intuition and to run with the imagery - no bad thing.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would say no names and numbers removes structure so creates less of a system to hang readings on....

Its all up to the individual. It makes no difference to the sitter. It just means as a reader you have less to read or play with unless of course you've memorized everything.

Horses for courses...
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2601 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I like the originals. But then I had them since dot.
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
I can remember the numbers and words on the cards.
actorcoop
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
I like the mystery that a wordless deck holds. However, if we are speaking strictly tarot, numbers are far too important for their meaning and correlations between each other. I think they are a necessity to understanding tarot's path. Don't forget, numbers are symbols too, and they carry meaning for your sitter whether they are aware of their place IN the cards or not.
*I knew you were going to read this
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1559 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Just a thought - I imagine you'd be in trouble with the copyright police if you tried to sell a pack like that.

Barry
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
What is the thinking/reasoning behind removing the names and values?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How would you react to a Rider Waite tarot without numbers or words? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL