The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we over Derren Brown? (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
18 Posts

Profile of davidzajac1991
Let's hope not he's spectacular. I haven't had the good grace of reading his works but to hear that someone doesn't like someone based on some TV special is a little disheartening. Great performer though.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
I still remember his earlier material. Always been impressed with his presentation and effects. It does seem that recently he's not as prevalent as he was before.

Kind regards,

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
18 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 16, 2016, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:
I still remember his earlier material. Always been impressed with his presentation and effects. It does seem that recently he's not as prevalent as he was before.

Kind regards,

-Vlad

Hey let's try to focus on that positive. Being that I think you probably know more than me what are the elements that make someone as famous or as influential as Derren brown? Just curious.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Speaking of Mr. Brown. I just got around to watching his Penguin Live lecture today. It is fantastic.
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
18 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 16, 2016, Robb wrote:
Speaking of Mr. Brown. I just got around to watching his Penguin Live lecture today. It is fantastic.

Now that I've seen! and the philosophical aspects of his work are fantastic as well. He is the reason I ever picked up a philosophy book. I read his book when I was down a few years ago and I used a technique of his to change negative thoughts. He is more than an awesome performer. I feel like he is a friend. Tear drop.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1548 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
He certainly has become a guru, hasn't he?
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
569 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I make no reservations about the fact that Derren has been, and will continue to be, a huge influence on me.

Years ago "Pure Effect" and "Absolute Magic" were the catalysts I needed to think more deeply about my performances beyond clever methods.

As others have said, I'm not sure I'll ever see another performer command such a strong stage presence. I had the pleasure of seeing "Svengali" live in London a few years back and was fortunate enough to briefly meet him after the show. My fear of being disappointed by one of my idols vanished when I came face to face with him - he was an incredibly kind and authentic guy!

Regarding the intent of this thread - I'm not "over" Derren! I haven't absolutely loved every one of his TV specials but I appreciate that he (and his creative team) make ASTOUNDINGLY compelling TV. His stage shows are without compare and I'm certain I will continue to learn valuable lessons in stagecraft from his offerings.

Two quotes come to mind from some of my favorite creative people:

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” ~Neil Gaiman

And...

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~Samuel Beckett

Even if Derren has made mistakes, they are amazing ones. I can only hope to "fail" half as well as he has!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
magicianphiltay
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham / UK
113 Posts

Profile of magicianphiltay
I really enjoyed the program. I watched it and laughed most of the way through. Good show.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1019 Posts

Profile of helder
The Old Man, the Boy and the Donkey

" An old man, a boy and a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked beside him. As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding. The boy and the man though maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.
Later, they passed some people who remarked, " What a shame! He makes that little boy walk." Then they decide they both would walk.
Soon they passed some more people who though they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So they both rode the donkey.
Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying how awful to put such a load on a poor donkey. The boy and the man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey. As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal, and he fell into the river and drowned.
The moral of the story? If you try to please everyone, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye. " Michael Port in Book Yourself Solid
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
To be fair to Derren.
I think he greatly influenced many of the younger generation of mentalism including myself,
he lift the art of mentalism to a new level.
Derren Brown got to push the edge,breakthrough what he did before.
I believe there were much more mentalists trying to do similar performance,similar material which Derren did years ago.
Much of Derren's effects he did 10years ago in TV show can now be performed live by many other mentalists now.
Derren have to keep improving and coming up with new show to distance himself with many of the new mentalists in UK.
Much of the mentalism effects consist of mind reading in essence,after you've prove you can read mind to audiences,
there isn't many effects you can do to top that in traditional mentalism.
So I think Derren of course have to move to a more Guru persona,
since doing mind reading over and over again is self repeating.
I studied and performed many direct mind reading mentalism effect in the past,
now I move toward into more Psycho-Spiritual area in mentalism after 15years of experience in magic and mentalism.
We all have to push the envelope of ourselves to keep improving.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1261 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:

Two quotes come to mind from some of my favorite creative people:

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art.” ~Neil Gaiman

And...

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~Samuel Beckett
Shout out for the two quotes from two of MY favorite writers. And excellent quotes they are. Ideas that an imaginative person can test out in the Real World. In gratitude, Tim
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Derren will be back in the public eye during the next 24 hours with the release of the secret behind his Thorpe Park project.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Are we over him? Not sure what that's supposed to mean. How about a little respect for a man that has accomplished so much in the field of mentalism.

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
"Being over" someone doesn't mean you disrespect them. Personally I got bored with watching Derren many years ago. After his second series to be exact. I can't watch his TV shows I find them painful and dreary. That doesn't mean I disrespect him it just means I find him boring to watch. His live shows are a lot better but even there I wouldn't go and see him. So I guess I "got over" Derren a long time ago. That doesn't change the fact that he is at the top of the game with regards to being a mentalist/performer or whatever he has morphed into these days. Very few will ever have anywhere near his success which is something to respect. But everything becomes boring ....eventually. Everything goes out of fashion eventually. I think Derren still has a few years ahead of him much to his and his teams credit to have kept things going. But it wore thin for me personally a long time ago.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1548 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Yeah, there is no statement of disrespect in saying you're over something. I respect the hell out of Mr. Brown. He was one of the major sources of me wanting to become a mentalist. I also think he happens to be one of the best performers I have ever seen. That said, I'm over his recent show formula, and over reading about him non-stop on the Café. Luckily that doesn't happen so much any more.

My question isn't whether or not he still does well with the public. It's obvious he does. It's whether or not he is still as interesting to mentalists and magicians as he used to be. It does not seem as though he is, as this topic has only gone on two pages.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Exactly, couldn't agree more with the last two posts. It's when people read things that aren't being said that it turns ugly and out of context.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I like him a lot.... But he'll never catch on in the states unless he changes a few things. I honestly think he's been ripped off by US TV and they've kind of blown his cover inadvertently ...or on purpose. I'm not sure which. If you are referring to WE as the USA then WE were never actually supportive of him that much. Most people here in the USA have no idea who he is. I think magicians on the Café has quieted down considerably. I saw a guy at the ECSS do one of Derrens routines almost word for word. The problem was IMHO he didn't steal the really GOOD LINES ... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
I stand by my comments..to say that you find a performer "boring" or "dreary" isn't a compliment or all that respectful. That's not taking anything out of context. Seems like some people need to have new and shiny things more often so they don't get bored. Pretty easy to criticize someone so highly successful and comes across as petty, jealous and disrespectful. All of which is easy to do from safely behind one's keyboard. Sad to see people make Derren Brown's contribution to our art seems so disposable and trivial.

Jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2016, MagicalEducator wrote:
I stand by my comments..to say that you find a performer "boring" or "dreary" isn't a compliment or all that respectful. That's not taking anything out of context. Seems like some people need to have new and shiny things more often so they don't get bored. Pretty easy to criticize someone so highly successful and comes across as petty, jealous and disrespectful. All of which is easy to do from safely behind one's keyboard. Sad to see people make Derren Brown's contribution to our art seems so disposable and trivial.

Jeff

I agree. In answer to the original question of 'has DB's time on the Café ended?', there's a large difference between "I think so" and "I hope so".
The Urban Entity
View Profile
New user
Itta Bena, MS
100 Posts

Profile of The Urban Entity
I think Derren is leaving the door open for the next face of magic. By him doing more stage work and less street stuff. Someone should pounce.
WATCH AWESOME HYPNOSIS VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/user/taylormade85/example?sub_confirmation=1

"Pushing The Boundaries of What is Possible With Hypnosis"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are we over Derren Brown? (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL