The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Welp, I knew it was going to happen. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Walmart made a big deal out of how they were going to be increasing the minimum wage (meant nothing to me, I already make more than they were offering the new wage to be).

I always said if they ever did a major increase in the wages, Walmart would respond by massive layoffs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies......nmoney11

My daughter's boyfriend, who'd lost his job at the hospital a while ago, got hired by Sam's Club two days ago and was supposed to report on Sunday. Today, he got word that the Sam's Club (in Warwick, Rhode Island) had been closed. When he asked; "Why would you hire me if you were going to close the store?" The manager told him that the managers of the store hadn't been told by corporate. Sadly, I am not surprised by this.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm not sure that really qualifies as 'massive layoffs'.

The article says it is closing 154 stores in the U.S., most (102) of which are long under-performing Walmart Express stores. And that the closures represented less than 1 percent of Walmart's global revenue.

Walmart still says it plans to open 142 to 165 new stores in the United States by January 2017
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4845 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, balducci wrote:
I'm not sure that really qualifies as 'massive layoffs'.

Because over 10,000 people are going to lose their job.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
If one can believe Walmart, many of those jobs will be relocated to nearby stores and many more will be added from the new stores opening.

So, at least on a 'net' basis, we may be talking about far fewer jobs being lost. It may even be a net increase (though I wouldn't expect that).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Hiring people for a store they had to know was closing seems like a communication snafu, and I can see how it would be frustrating, but if the decisions make the company stronger as a whole in the long run then that's what needs to be done.

Is there a way for your daughters boyfriend to use the fact that he was hired to get a job in a nearby location?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Walmart took advantage of the
Hire a hero tax program that
offered 10,000 tax credit for
hiring Veterans and hired them
strictly for this purpose.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, balducci wrote:
If one can believe Walmart, many of those jobs will be relocated to nearby stores and many more will be added from the new stores opening.

So, at least on a 'net' basis, we may be talking about far fewer jobs being lost. It may even be a net increase (though I wouldn't expect that).
If you believe Walmart.

To bad they never seem to open stores where they'd be useful.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:

If you believe Walmart.

Yea, they just have no business sense. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, but if they had really good business sense they wouldn't have opened those 200 plus stores to begin with. 😊
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
Yes, but if they had really good business sense they wouldn't have opened those 200 plus stores to begin with. 😊

Oh they had great business sense- they opened the stores, pushed out all the small grocers and local retailers, and got the business of the whole town. (As well as becoming one of its primary employers.)

Then, once they sucked out all the local money and the store started under-performing, they closed it. They made profit short term, so they got what they wanted. (The small town that they left in a lurch, well, nobody talks about that anymore.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15941 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who wants chains anyhow?

"No prison can hold me; no hand or leg irons or steel locks can shackle me. No ropes or chains can keep me from my freedom." Houdini.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2016, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Quote:

Oh they had great business sense- they opened the stores, pushed out all the small grocers and local retailers, and got the business of the whole town. (As well as becoming one of its primary employers.)

Then, once they sucked out all the local money and the store started under-performing, they closed it. They made profit short term, so they got what they wanted. (The small town that they left in a lurch, well, nobody talks about that anymore.)

No they didn't actually. Walmart Express was supposed to compete with the CVS, Walgreen's, Rite Aid crowd. They're still out there and the Walmart Express's are being closed.
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
When I worked for Wal*mart back in 1989 they paid me 5 cents above minimum wage. This was way before Superstores and SAMS.

I remember having to use the hand crank credit card machine. Nothing slows down a line like one of those.

I guess today it is all about supply and demand. There seems to be a surplus of unskilled labor these days.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
Walmart made a big deal out of how they were going to be increasing the minimum wage (meant nothing to me, I already make more than they were offering the new wage to be).

I always said if they ever did a major increase in the wages, Walmart would respond by massive layoffs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies......nmoney11

My daughter's boyfriend, who'd lost his job at the hospital a while ago, got hired by Sam's Club two days ago and was supposed to report on Sunday. Today, he got word that the Sam's Club (in Warwick, Rhode Island) had been closed. When he asked; "Why would you hire me if you were going to close the store?" The manager told him that the managers of the store hadn't been told by corporate. Sadly, I am not surprised by this.

Well, yeah. Jobs have a certain value to employers. If the government won't let employers pay a wage below a point that exceeds that value, those jobs go away.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

If you believe Walmart.

Where do you think they'd be useful? My mom goes to one that's really crowded, so it's useful to a lot of people. Too long lines for me!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Last time I was in Wal*Mart was in 2011.

I know my Dad loathes the self checkout lanes.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
So don't use them.

We don't have self checkout at my Walmart, although they are thinking of putting them in.

They have them at the Stop & Shop and I use them whenever I'm there. It just seems faster to me.
Ain't life unkind?"
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, Devious wrote:
Walmart took advantage of the
Hire a hero tax program that
offered 10,000 tax credit for
hiring Veterans and hired them
strictly for this purpose.

Walmart really wants to look like 'good guys' (unintended pun, sorry)! But if any veterans were working in East Oakland,they would have been laid off like any others, no matter Walmart's tax credits. They really make their money from slave-wages of far-away workers making their clothes and other items for retail sale. In fact, they're better at it than many other chain stores worldwide. Lynn
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Costs of living vary.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15941 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Welp, I knew it was going to happen. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL