The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Illogical $100.00 bill switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
Jay Sankey has many ideas throughout his work. One of my favorites is on his "Very Best Of" series. It moves holes on the bill like in a matrix effect.
-Chris
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6395 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
No matter how well you do the switch I'm sure your spectators will assume it was a switch. Now, do the mismade bill instead and see how many of your spectators will try and refold their bills to make them look that way.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Greg,

Do you feel that there is absolutely no way to ever have them convinced that a switch did not occur?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6395 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, daffydoug, I'll ask you a question: Do you think that most people actually believe you turned the one into a hundred?
I know we like to believe that people go with everything we say and do, but I believe that most people have an immediate sense of wonder of what they have seen, but a little later some logic kicks in and they realized they just saw a really good trick.
Doesn't it happen for everything we do? No. But this is one of those effects that lends itself to have only one path to follow... you switched it.
On the other hand, and only say this from experience, when I've done the mismade bill I can't count the amount of times I've seen individuals try to refold the bill back.
Some have mentioned Jay Sankey's ideas on the bill and I believe he also changes the experience... they will believe you were able to do some incredible fold that allowed the bill to look that way.
Having said all that, is it still magical to change the bill to another demonination? Yes. Is it illogical to change it bac? Well, that's an easy answer... if you could really do it wouldn't you be home right now changing bills. (Yes, I know, you are.}
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Look here for my unpublished handling:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27

or, buy #12 in the Ron Bauer Private Studies Series for the published effect, with contributions by several other great guys!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Just wanted to mention that the idea Eric Grossman posted is Jim Sisti's handling and appears I believe in the first issue of The Magic Menu...

Andrew
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Yes, Andrew, since I didn't publish it, all credit should go to Mr. Sisti. Really, it's just an anything to impossible location, though. I'd bet that it predates both of us, if not everyone here.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Eric:

Wasn't knocking your idea, it is a good one! Just wanted to let people know where they could find an extended version in print (Jim also teaches it on the Stevens restaurant video and in lectures).

The effect could certainly be construed in the category you described (anything to impossible location) although I think of it more as a transposition.

Since we're talking about it though, I think the only flaw with Jim's piece is the demonstration of the empty purse to begin with. Wouldn't it be better to remove a $1 from the purse (in the process showing it empty) and change via the BS to a $5. When the expected question is asked (by performer or audience) then the $1 can show that it has made its way home...

Maybe this is better as a pseudo con routine? $5 bill removed from purse, signed by spectator and then folded up. Upon unfolding the bill is transformed to play money and the real thing found back in the purse???

Intriguing premise that lacks the conviction of borrowed funds, but the signature serves as a nice convincer...

But then it makes it a transposition (into impossible location).

Grin!

ajp
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
No problem, Andrew, and my apologies to Mr. Sisti. How does he justify showing the empty purse?

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
The bill switch is illogical in most performing situations. However, I've used it in a couple of everyday situations, which led the people who witnessed it to believe in "real magic."

First occurence was in a restaurant. As the waiter came by to dropoff the check, I asked him if he takes this (holding a $1 bill). After he said "Yes" I started to fold the bill and changed it into a $20. You should of seen his mouth drop. I handed him the $20 along with the bill. A few moments passed, when he returned with my change, he had the manager, the cook, and other waiters and waitresses with him too asking for a repeat demonstration. I took one of the $1 bills that was changed to me and proceeded to change that into another $20. "I love eating here. The food is good, and I make money too," I said.

The second time I used the bill switch outside of a performance situation was at Disneyland. My friend asked to borrow some money. I reached in my pocket and pulled out a $1 bill. "Sorry this is all I have...Wait a minute, since this is supposed to be the most magical place on earth, and I feel a little magical. How about you? Do you believe in magic?" Then I turned the $1 into a $100. She never forgot that moment at Disney.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Or, buy #12 in the Ron Bauer Private Studies Series for the published effect, with contributions by several other great guys!

Paul, I was gonna mention that...but I was having a "greedy" moment and was hoping to keep it to my self!!!

Mike
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
I don't think it's illogical at all. Here's what I do: I borrow a $1 bill and I say "I promise to give it back to you in the same condition". Change it into a $100 bill; begin to give it back to the spectator, but DON'T actually give it to him as you say "wait a minute, I promised I would give it back to you in the same condition it was in when you lent it to me." Change it back to a $1 and return it to the spectator. Works great for me.

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Illogical $100.00 bill switch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL