The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Military Spending (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
So what's all this got to do with the price of bombs in China?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Human history is the history of migration and the most sophisticated civilizations arose where human traffic was heaviest. The Ancient Near East, the Indian sub-continent, China, the Americas, Europe – all had constant influxes of migrants bringing new ideas and change."

"People moved constantly all over the world – be they Vikings, Crusaders or Chinese emigrants."

Http://newint.org/features/1991/09/05/simply/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
But I reiterated that I know I wouldn't give them money.

Because of the policies that you supported during the Iraq War and now, placating Iran became necessary as the only power in the region that could counterbalance the Iraqi Sunni extremist forces. That is just one more reason why March 2003 was the greatest foreign policy blunder in US history with the possible exception of the escalation of the Vietnam War.

The war to stop Suddam with his weapons of mass destruction. Yes- I did support that. So did the whole gov't including Democrats and Republicans.

Millions of people around the globe, including millions of Americans warned both parties of the chaos that would ensue. When does accountability start to kick in?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, R.S. wrote:

North Korea developed it's first nuke in 2006. Apparently you weren't aware of that. And by the way, what did the administration at the time do about it (or to prevent it)??

Ron

Sounds about right. Perhaps it was too late for the then-current administration to do anything about it, as the previous administration had made North Korea the largest Asian recipient of foreign aid during its 8 years.

From 1995 - 2000, we gave $771.2 million in aid to NK (Energy assistance plus medical aid). In 2001, Bush takes office, labels NK part of the "axis of evil", and NK is 5 1/2 years away from detonating their very first nuclear device. Yet from 2001 to 2005, we STILL gave $343.75 million in aid to NK! In 2006, the year NK detonated their first nuke, we gave $0. Then from 2007 through 2008, we gave yet another $269.80 million in aid!! Also, food aid to NK peaked in 2002. So tell me again how all of this is the responsibility of the President who was out of office for over 5 1/2 years before NK detonated it's first nuke?

Ron

How much do you know about the timeframe of nuclear weapons development?

Enough. And what do YOU propose we do about countries that use rhetoric we don't like?

Ron

I propose we don't give them 150 billion dollars. I believe if you think you now can trust Iran to do the right think because we fulfilled our obligation, really? A country that is KNOWN to be funding terrorist organizations! Wow.

Again... it's their own unfrozen assets. And in return for that, we (actually, it's a 6 nation agreement) get to monitor their centrifuge dismantling, etc. And again, who said anything about trust?? It's about verification. VERIFICATION!! Do you read anything at all?? Did you even read the deal itself? Geez!!

And you still haven't offered a better solution for blocking Iran's path to nuclear weapons. You keep saying what you wouldn't do. But what would you do about Iran and about countries that use rhetoric we don't like???

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He'd leave their assets frozen, obviously.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it someone always has to offer a "better solution"? The obvious implication something bad must be done. Who says something always must be done?

It is a great political move and has brought us a lot of crap I must say.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
In 1981 Iraq was building nuclear bomb capability. Israel destroyed it with fighter jets ... They got the message loud and clear. They never tried again despite what the WMD liars said....
THINK!!!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates......4623.stm
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2016, LobowolfXXX wrote:

And do nothing about reducing their nuclear weapons manufacturing capability? Just let them continue unchecked?

PS - and no, not obviously.

Ron
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's not obvious that when he says he wouldn't give them 150 billion dollars, which you identify as their own frozen assets, that what he is proposing is to leave their assets frozen?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

And do nothing about reducing their nuclear weapons manufacturing capability? Just let them continue unchecked?

Ron

To the extent that the capability to manufacture weapons requires money, standing in between them and 150 billion dollars does, indeed, reduce that capacity.

How effective do you think inspections will be?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or have been in the past?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pretty good on the whole, I'd say. The Soviet Union and the US managed not to blow each other or themselves up for quite a few years.

But of course, there's only one nuclear power in the Mideast that refuses to allow inspections, but mentioning that would interrupt the flow of the narrative.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2016, landmark wrote:
Pretty good on the whole, I'd say. The Soviet Union and the US managed not to blow each other or themselves up for quite a few years.

And that's due to inspections, are you suggesting?

Quote:
But of course, there's only one nuclear power in the Mideast that refuses to allow inspections, but mentioning that would interrupt the flow of the narrative.

You would think the scrutiny would be more bilateral, what with all of the Israeli and Jewish leaders calling for Iran to be wiped off the face of the map.

The Soviet Union is really a poor analog to being into the discussion. Mutually assured destruction is a very good deterrent - unless you think that the best thing you can do to endear yourself to God is die in the course of killing non-believers.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Nuclear Test ban treaty IIRC was signed in 1961 with the Soviet Union. Enormously important to world peace, and as far as I remember, there were no major violations on either side.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The question, though, was whether you attribute the U.S.-Soviet nuclear peace to inspections.

On a side note, I think we can safely assume that Iran knows that the political climate in the West would certainly prevent any sort of serious ramifications from obstructing weapons inspections.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Re the 1963 (sorry about year, just looked it up!) Test Ban Treaty: There would have been no peace treaty had either side thought that compliance could not be monitored. So yes, the success of that treaty was attributable to the verification process that was set up.

And...

Quote:
You would think the scrutiny would be more bilateral, what with all of the Israeli and Jewish leaders calling for Iran to be wiped off the face of the map.

I think this was supposed to be sarcasm, but powerful Israeli opinion makers have said pretty much exactly that. See for example:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/op-ed-calls......ny-iran/
The calls for war with Iran have been a feature of Israeli world politics for decades.

And again, the only nuclear power in the Mideast supported the terrorist apartheid regime of South Africa, and helped that terrorist regime gain nuclear weapons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afri......truction

So not only was there a refusal to have inspections, but it also violated the international nuclear non-proliferation treaty--but not to worry since they also had refused to sign it.

And since it's late and I have to get to bed, I'll throw in:
Quote:
On a side note, I think we can safely assume that Iran knows that the political climate in the West would certainly prevent any sort of serious ramifications from obstructing weapons inspections.

Politicians have been making entire careers based on demonizing Iran. Not likely that serious violations won't be punished by the next President or Congress. Calling out Iran packs small, plays big.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4877 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Sorry, but I don't put trust in a country whose leadership chant Death To America! You obviously do.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

OK, since apparently you are now speaking for RNK (don't know why he can't answer his own questions), would he "do nothing about reducing their nuclear weapons manufacturing capability? Just let them continue unchecked?"

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

To the extent that the capability to manufacture weapons requires money, standing in between them and 150 billion dollars does, indeed, reduce that capacity.

How effective do you think inspections will be?

More effective than you apparently think keeping the status quo would be. How many centrifuges does keeping their assets frozen (and NOT having this nuclear deal) dismantle? How does keeping their assets frozen (and NOT having this nuclear deal) reduce the enrichment of Uranium from 98% to 3%? How does NOT having inspections impair their ability to pursue nuclear weapons?

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Military Spending (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL