The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Military Spending (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
As someone who was a warhead designer for 10 years, I can say that the cost of developing state-of-the-art weaponry is quite high. That doesn't equate to bloat; it's just a fact of life.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No but one you have any significantly large company, which the military is, there is inevitable waste. It happens. It is what it is.

R&D has a cost involved with it. I would imagine that it is little different from any company doing so. Easy to look back and say we shouldn't have done X, but hindsight is not a way to move forward. I think not all projects work and some might even never make it to development like all research. Not bloat but rather simply the way it works.

But there is plenty of spending that is pork for senators which IS indeed bloat.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
What isn’t a part of the military industrial complex in the USA today; apart from the police force which just happens to walk and talk and look like it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I recall one warhead design that I did that was awful. Horrible. Unbelievably bad.

It was such a departure from what we'd done in the past that we had no idea how to approach it, and we (i.e., I) blew it. Completely.

To the point that the colonel in charge of the program planned to cancel it unless we could come up with a reasonable explanation and plan to correct it.

As it turned out, I came up with a new design methodology (it's not overstating it to call it revolutionary) that not only corrected the problems with the first design, but allowed us to finish the program one design iteration ahead of schedule.

The upshot is that this stuff is complicated. Pushing the state of the art is risky; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And not bloat. I agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4877 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, Devious wrote:
I can personally attest to
our military being bloated.

Interesting as I have talked with MANY soldiers currently serving and they say the opposite. Very interesting. Maybe it's not the bloating but about "their hands being tied in combat". I will have to speak with them and clarify.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
We spend 10 times what we need to on Defense ...Unfortunately we spend it on Offense .... running around the globe wasting trillions while $120 billion slips through the Pentagon Cracks every year. . It's a scam. Just like the market .. Down over 2,000 points. Eisenhower told you it would happen like this. So did Kennedy. Now look.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, Kevin Connolly wrote:
I quickly scanned it and the one about the 220,000 teachers is not true. Nice headline, but a lie.

And the rest?

What about the overall impact, and the results?

Even if it was only ten teachers, what would be the better way to spend the money for America?

Get those teachers to work a 40 hour week 45 weeks a year would be a good start.

Hi acesover,

Do you know many teachers? Most of my colleagues put in 50 to 60 hours a week (unless you are unwilling to count work conducted at home, including some weekends) and our contracts only pay us for 9 months, not 12. I'd happily work the other three months if paid to do so.

Regards, Steve
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Teachers do not work 9 months, they work 181 days a year. Locally, they asked the teachers to stay 15 minutes more and the union almost lost their minds. As for working 60 hours per week, that is not the norm.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
There is bloat...but the biggest offenders are Congress. They won't close bases because it devastates their constituents local economy. They vote for unneeded weapons systems (2nd F-35 engine program, extension of Abrams tank upgrade, additional C-130 purchases) to put jobs in their states.

Also, the recent wars were voted on by your civilian leaders...folks we elected. Then our righting forces are asked to rebuild infrastructure and reshape cultures. Some thing we're not especially good at, nor are we trained to do.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
The military industrial complex is far too complex for you folks to understand. That is why you folks are given politicians and experts to tell you that you all going to die. Stick to the simple things such as being scared and doing silly things like, paying them money. Then they will always be there to tell you folks that you are all going to die. Did you folk like Ike or like Tina?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Teachers do not work 9 months, they work 181 days a year. Locally, they asked the teachers to stay 15 minutes more and the union almost lost their minds. As for working 60 hours per week, that is not the norm.

Hi Kevin,

The 181 days you state works out to 9 months: 181 school days/5 days per work week = 36 work weeks... 9 months. The way you've expressed it might give the impression teachers only work half a year (181/365 = 49.6%). As I mentioned above, they are not paid for the other 3 months. I'm sure many people would like 3 months off each year, but would they be willing to give up 3 months wages to do so?

As far as the additional 15 minutes, that's asking those teachers to add more than a week without pay to their contracts. Were they offered time-and-a-half for the overtime?

Regards, Steve
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4877 Posts

Profile of RNK
I do personally know more than a couple teachers. And they all agree that they get paid very well for having their summers off. My buddy has been teaching for 16 years and makes $110,000 to teach 2nd grade. And he paints in the summer since he doesn't have to do any school things during that time. He does sometimes have to correct papers in the evening but not all the time. And yes, the principal asked them to stay for an extra 30 minutes for bus duty and he was appalled how a lot of the teachers and their union made a big fuss about it. He is very level headed and has stated that he knows he gets paid very well for what he does and gets mad when the other teachers complain.

Though, I will say in today's age, teaching is not what it used to be as they have a lot more social and political issues to deal with making their job a lot more stressful.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, imgic wrote:
There is bloat...but the biggest offenders are Congress. They won't close bases because it devastates their constituents local economy. They vote for unneeded weapons systems (2nd F-35 engine program, extension of Abrams tank upgrade, additional C-130 purchases) to put jobs in their states.

Also, the recent wars were voted on by your civilian leaders...folks we elected. Then our righting forces are asked to rebuild infrastructure and reshape cultures. Some thing we're not especially good at, nor are we trained to do.

Yea I an not sure how it got to teaching but I agree with this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi RNK,

Wow. That's much more than most teacher make. The average teacher's salary in Ohio is about $57,000. Your friend must have many years seniority (and, I suspect, works for a wealthy school system Smile )

Regards, Steve
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3140 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I vote for a stronger military. More money for the military.

Why?

For what?

Why? Because I think that the men and women serving deserve more money than they get. I also think they deserve more equipment and supplies.

For What? So that we can maintain our super power status and not fall into the situation a lot of other less fortunate countries are in. So that we can maintain some semblance of safety in our lives and enjoy the freedom so many take for granted.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
So the real problem is the sanction of the victim(s).

Got it, thanks.

Carry on - in multiple contexts.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, yachanin wrote:
Quote:

Hi Kevin,

The 181 days you state works out to 9 months: 181 school days/5 days per work week = 36 work weeks... 9 months. The way you've expressed it might give the impression teachers only work half a year (181/365 = 49.6%). As I mentioned above, they are not paid for the other 3 months. I'm sure many people would like 3 months off each year, but would they be willing to give up 3 months wages to do so?

As far as the additional 15 minutes, that's asking those teachers to add more than a week without pay to their contracts. Were they offered time-and-a-half for the overtime?

Regards, Steve

Steve,

I didn't even add 18 sick days to list, besides other ways to get time off with pay.

As for the 15 minutes, it was for just one day.

See how many schools are shut down in Detroit today because they want to protest Obama coming to mage a speech.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I vote for a stronger military. More money for the military.

Why?

For what?

Why? Because I think that the men and women serving deserve more money than they get. I also think they deserve more equipment and supplies.

For What? So that we can maintain our super power status and not fall into the situation a lot of other less fortunate countries are in. So that we can maintain some semblance of safety in our lives and enjoy the freedom so many take for granted.

Actually I'd argue that active service members are vey well paid, both in salary and benefits. As well as supplies, there is sometimes lack of personal items during and initial deployment (snacks, etc) but the US Military is the best equipped and best supplied fighting force in the history of the world. I look back when I first joined to when I retired and have seen huge improvements in everything from supplies to family support to weapons systems.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, yachanin wrote:
Quote:

Hi Kevin,

Regards, Steve

Steve,

I didn't even add 18 sick days to list, besides other ways to get time off with pay.

As for the 15 minutes, it was for just one day.

See how many schools are shut down in Detroit today because they want to protest Obama coming to mage a speech.

When you get, say, ten years of public school teaching under your belt, perhaps your comments may have some credibility. Until then, you've got nothing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Military Spending (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL