The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Georgia Magnet - Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I've got two of Tom Jorgenson's books: "The New Georgia Magnet Act" (20$) and Secrets of the Magnetic Girl (5$).

The first one was a complete waste of money for me. The only thing in the book that worth anything (and for those who don't know it worth the price of the book and more) is the heavy girl test. All other tests explained in the book aren't really explained (only references) and aren't new at all, maybe only the framing which I find weak. Linking rubberbands? Hypercard? Cigarette thru quarter? Give me a break. Filler filler filler. If you don't know the heavy girl test get this book. Otherwise stay away.

The second book (Secrets) is great. Here you can read some really good visual effects for 5$ (!). He also teaches there the heavy girl test (but in the first book it's explained a bit differently and better in my opinion). This book is a steal for that amount of money. I really think those two books should switch prices with each other or, better, combined into one book.

My two cents.

Nimrod , Israel
peterng25
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of peterng25
Nimrod,

I went to Ronjo and looked for 'secrets of the magnetic girl', and I saw it was written in 1895 by Nelson W Perry. Is this an analysis of the effects by TJ?
Houdinibleeding
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Houdinibleeding
You can get it for free on the Internet. Just do a Google search.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-03-05 08:38, Houdinibleeding wrote:
You can get it for free on the internet.
Just do a google search.

Houdinibleeding,

You are allowed to post the link(s) here on the Café. (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Secrets of the Magnetic Girl was indeed written in 1895 and explains additional tests used by Lulu's imitators. It is published as a convenience and could at one time be found on the internet, and may well be there still. There is no analysis, just a 6-page reprinting for a retail of $5...and at that price, believe me, its publication IS for the convenience of magicians assembling such data...

The New Georgia Magnet Act is an approach on how to remount the act for today's audiences using contemporary effects, and has never been billed as other than that.

The Abbreviated Autobiography of Lulu Hurst is the explanation of all her effects that she did, along with HER explanations of the stunts and tests. You may prefer that one for her secrets.

The Autobio and Secrets contain test explanations and the New GM contains the no-lift test and walks you thru mounting a do-able Lulu act. I am sorry the New GM Act did not suit your needs. You might find the Abbreviated Autobiography closer to your needs and expectations. For those who do NOT wish to sling spectators around stage, the new Georgia Magnet Act Mss. might be a preferable approach.

Sling wonders.

Tom

...oh, and combining the two or even the three might well be a good idea! I had never thought of that. Thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
What Book is nimrod saying is worth to get? The $5.00 one or the one for $19.95? I'm interested in learning this. Please PM me.

Don,
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Get the new book The Georgia Wonder by Barry H. Wiley.
The complete history and explanation of the Georgia Magnet act.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Where can I get the Book by Barry Wiley? Hocus-Pocus does not have it.

Don,
Gregg Tobo
View Profile
New user
Denver
64 Posts

Profile of Gregg Tobo
The Barry Wiley book was just released (or is very soon to be released) by Hermetic Press at: http://www.hermeticpress.com/

Because it is so new I cannot offer insight on any differences between Barry's book and Tom's.

Gregg Tobo
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
OK, the New Book by Barry Wiley is 414 pages. Anyone know how many pages the other books are? I'll prefer to buy the first decent book, and not one I will be disappointed in.

Don,
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Don,

I have answered your questions on the other post, but for others cruising the topics:

The new hardbound book is the one to get, when it is released. The 'Abbreviated Autobiography of Lulu Hurst" was put out by me 10 years ago to do until someone published the entire complete book. Now someone has. Get the new one. It has additional info and stunts.

'Secrets" is $5; it contains additional stunts and explanations. Six pages.

"The New Georgia Magnet Act" is the only one of these out now that contains an easy no-gaff, no-lift stunt, and experiment that I am not sure Lulu ever even did! This manuscript also includes a teacher's guide for schools. It is a premise for mounting your own GM act for audiences that you do NOT want to throw around stage, or audiences that are too small to use in Lulu's leverage stunts (like doing the act for school or older folks). It discusses using contemporary effects you may already have in your repertoire or are easily available to you.

This manuscript does not contain filler, as The Nimrod claims, but contains information you can get and use, info that will speed your selections for mounting of the act.

Apparently The Nimrod missed reading the intro to this book, missed the point of this book, did not actually try any of the other effects and does not do school shows. Even so, learning this No-Lift stunt is, as he says, worth the $20 for the book.

The use of the Hydrostatic Glass with electrical wires (proof of her powers by shorting out her powers), vamped to be used with audience participation as a clincher to her powers, is also a very strong effect, and is described in this manuscript for the first time. This one stunt is VERY strong, and gets more reaction than that trick ever got before. In my experience, anyway.

So: The new book is a MUST on this subject, then perhaps the $5 one, and if you get serious about mounting the act, I then suggest that my "New Georgia Magnet" maanuscript. Will ease you on your way.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
OK, the Newest Book by Barry Wiley is this the one Tom Jorgenson is saying to buy first.

Don,
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Quote:
On 2004-04-11 12:13, The Donster wrote:
OK, the New Book by Barry Wiley is 414 pages. Anyone know how many pages the other books are?

Don,

Don, hopefully you're not choosing books according to the number of pages (don't you?). Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
What a remarkably gracious and classy gentleman is Tom Jorgenson. He is recommending the book put out by another person (Barry Wiley) over his (Tom's) very own book!!

Kind of renews your faith in mankind when you see so selfless an act as that.

Kudos, Tom!!!

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1420 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Quote:
On 2004-04-12 12:44, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Don,

I
The use of the Hydrostatic Glass with electrical wires (proof of her powers by shorting out her powers), vamped to be used with audience participation as a clincher to her powers, is also a very strong effect, and is described in this manuscript for the first time. This one stunt is VERY strong, and gets more reaction than that trick ever got before. In my experience, anyway.

So: The new book is a MUST on this subject, then perhaps the $5 one, and if you get serious about mounting the act, I then suggest that my "New Georgia Magnet" maanuscript. Will ease you on your way.

I am confused. Te abbreviated book does describe or the new georgia describes the wire version. Which new book are talking about?

The 414 page book? What is in that book?
What I am saying is that it is described in the $19.95 book that it is abbrviated and only repetiton is removed.

So I really am not sure what is in the 414 page book that gives better insight to the act.

Can anyone clear up the NEW book contents?

I have the abbrviated version of the autobio and I will say I think 90% of the stunts will not go over in the modern age.

I have seen some lifting stunts go over but some of the pushing stunts do not look like you have a power but are using basic science that today's modern audiences would immediately pick out.

I like the ideas in the New Georgia Act but some are still a bit "magic looking" for my tastes.

To add, even Lulu herself states that the reason the stunts went over in her time was that people wanted to believe so much that they made her stunts 10x better.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm confused to as what book to buy. Mostly everyone recommends the $19.95 book by Tom Jorgenson.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Except Tom himself who, in a prior post above, recommended the Barry Wiley book ("The Georgia Wonder") over his own book.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
416 Posts

Profile of Paradise
Didn't derren brown use this effect with boxers and a girl in his first series?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Howdy again: Here's a rundown of the 4 manuswcripts and books available:

The new Wiley book is probably the first one to get, at $35 or so..it containsthe complete Lulu Hurst autobiography plus introduction, and othr published manuscripts expanding on the stunts and explaining the science behind the various stunts.

My Manuscript, the abbreviated Autobiography of Lulu Hurst is only her autobiography, with the repetitive newp[aper artilcles removed...I put this out years ago this as an interim until someone could print her full autobio...and now they have, so this book is no longer the best to buy, tho it is $15 less...spend the extra mney.

Secrets of the Magnetic Girl Explained ($5) was printed more as a service, contains other stunts and experiments not covered in the Wiley book. Of interest to further your choices of stunts and your research, and may still be available on the internet, do a google search...

The New Georgia Magnet Act is my manuscript on remounting this act without useing Lulu's various stunts, but actually using contemporary magic effects under the premise of The Georgia Magnet. Of use in arranging your thoughts and choices...this mss. has the Hydrostatic Glass power proof, the No Lift Challange (not available in the other Mss's) and the Teacher's Guide for schools, etc. Much of the suggestions are or might be in your repetoire already, or are easily assembled into an act.

Dick Williams' excellent book "Lights! Camera! Magic!" also has his no-lift challange method explained, for those who are interested. Dick and Virginia did this act for years.

Hope this helps.

tom
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2004-03-04 02:47, nimrod wrote:
I've got two of Tom Jorgenson's books: "The New Georgia Magnet Act" (20$) and Secrets of the Magnetic Girl (5$).

The first one was a complete waste of money for me. The only thing in the book that worth anything (and for those who don't know it worth the price of the book and more) is the heavy girl test. All other tests explained in the book aren't really explained (only references) and aren't new at all, maybe only the framing which I find weak. Linking rubberbands? Hypercard? Cigarette thru quarter? Give me a break. Filler filler filler. If you don't know the heavy girl test get this book. Otherwise stay away.

My two cents.

Nimrod , Israel

I too was quite disapointed with the book, the lift is about the only thing I would really use out of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Georgia Magnet - Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL