The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Everything you have said is correct so don't apologise. There needs to be more open and honest people like you who speaks the truth - magicians helping magicians. It is fair to say we or we should be sceptical given their track record and misleading trailets to which travel is a perfect example.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Anyone who remembers Colour Fusion by Nash can probably come close to working this out, and if you don't want to get this as its Sans Minds, get Colour Fusion by Nash. Nash also had an ungimmicked version which is one of the coolest tricks you will EVER see
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4450 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Took it for the team and bought it! Can't wait to play with it.

Christopher Williams what's with Sans Minds? I enjoy most items I bought from their production. A couple were real disappointments like Reduction. Most ridiculous trick I've ever bought in 30 years. But the ratio of good and bad stuff is about the same with other companies.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7534 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:

Christopher Williams what's with Sans Minds? I enjoy most items I bought from their production. A couple were real disappointments like Reduction. Most ridiculous trick I've ever bought in 30 years. But the ratio of good and bad stuff is about the same with other companies.

Welcome to the Platinum 'Wing Man' membership club, for going above and beyond in your choice of purchase.

Click here to view attached image.
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
Looks so visually fooling! Can't wait to get mine.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:

I know that your question wasn't directed directly towards me, but I will tell you why I do think that a lot of experienced magicians have a problem with Sansminds as a company as I do think it is an important topic and it is relevant to the discussion of this effect as well.

Firstly, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of a lot of Sansminds products. Patrified by Patrick Kun is fantastic, you get 7 workers which can be performed in any situation and a few of them looks like trick photography, while still being real world workers. The same goes for their Pasteboard: Worker Series where you get a bunch of real workers which besides being workers, would be strong enough to perform on TV. I am also a huge fan och a few Nicholas Lawrence releases.

As a company, the smart move would be continue releasing strong, practical magic which both the amateur and the professional can use and enjoy. If you want to be in it for the long run, honesty towards your costumers is the key. And here comes the problem.

It is extremely difficult to know what you are getting when buying a Sansminds-product. This is not unique for Sansminds but their trailers and their ads are up there with the most deceiving ones.

It is not that big of a deal for a grown up with a steady income who does magic as a hobby or professionally. But I do remember how much it sucked to be 15 or 17 who performed magic to get some extra money for college or whatever with a very very limited magic budget and then get a magic trick in the mailbox which simply isn't performable in the real world.

Just look at this trailer, If one can't see how much of the trick that is left out you need glasses.
magic_tony
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
If you can leave them with a color mis-matched corner with their signature going across the whole face of the card, that means you're gonna have to spend a lot of time making these cards. So you need to ask yourself if it's worth the time and effort.

If you compare the clip from the live performance to the studio one in the trailer, look how much he shakes the card in the live performance to make it change as compared to the studio one. Think about it, when the card changes, the different colored card has to go somewhere so you can be sure it won't be as clean as you would hope in reality.

Instead of dropping $35 on this you could get the same effect using a simple DL which would be just as impressive to the spectators.

Am I the only ones who find these trailers where the presenter looks off camera as they talk to be really annoying? I mean, who on earth are they meant talking to when looking away from the camera?!
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
I don't want to fall into the psychological trap of impulsive buying, just because the effect is visually striking.

What is the percentage of what I read in the ad copy and watch in the trailer is TRUE as intended?

Can the torn piece be restored so that the spectator can even keep it as an impossible souvenir? Smile
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2016, SamChak wrote:
I don't want to fall into the psychological trap of impulsive buying, just because the effect is visually striking.

What is the percentage of what I read in the ad copy and watch in the trailer is TRUE as intended?

Can the torn piece be restored so that the spectator can even keep it as an impossible souvenir? Smile

If you're looking for a restored version at the end , go for Nush Fung's Fusion , as someone mentioned earlier . I have fusion and it's a worker , you will be provided with 8 or ten gaff cards , however they don't teach you how to make gaff cards ... It will be good if you've knowledge on how to make the gaff and it isn't difficult .

As always , I'll wait for some hero who takes the bold initiative to get this and post a glorious review , hopefully ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
If you're looking for a restored version at the end, go for Nash Fung's Fusion, as someone mentioned earlier. I have fusion and it's a worker

Thank you. I like Nash Fung's performance on his Color Fusion Torn and Restored routine.

Can the color of the torn piece in Victor Sanz's Contrast be changed as well?
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Oh well I saw this video for the first time , I know Nash is very skilled , but the action of him rolling his " invincible sleeve " up continuously made me laugh a little ...

Anyway , back to Contrast , I remembered the trailer said the color of the torn piece can be changed ?

- Albert Einstein
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2016, Magician560 wrote:
Oh well I saw this video for the first time, I know Nash is very skilled

But the instant color-changing transformation on the asymmetrical signed card is different from Nash Fung's Color Fusion.

Is the method revolutionary that I cannot apply from Alex's instructional material on symmetrical Flap Cards construction?

~ Albert Einstein ~
Elliot Nicklas
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Elliot Nicklas
The Nash version looks like it's a lot of effort and steps to do it. What's with the rolling up the sleeve thing with no sleeve?
magic_tony
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2016, Elliot Nicklas wrote:
The Nash version looks like it's a lot of effort and steps to do it. What's with the rolling up the sleeve thing with no sleeve?

Yes, this looks like it will take practice to perfect. Making it seem like your hands are empty when they aren't isn't easy to do. This would look great in Guy Hollingworth's hands. Anyway, at least this Nash fellow does a full performance for the camera so you know exactly what you're getting.

The sleeve rolling thing is just a nervous tick or something similar. And it's nice he doesn't have some idiot shouting at an invisible person just off camera in the trailer!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Well I decided to take one for the team as well... I just placed my order for this, so I'm hoping it'll be here by monday. I'll be sure to post a review with my two cents when it comes.

Of course I still had some questions about this but I decided to push my skepticism aside and give it a chance. Trust me I know sansmind's track record all too well, but keep in mind even though this is a sansmind production, Victor Sanz is also the creator of the effect. Which was also the creator of Red Mint which I don't personally own, but I heard a lot of good things, I heard the quality of the gimmick was really good so let's hope this is no different.

Also I just really can't imagine the handling of the effect being that awkward. Even if it was, I'm sure anyone that has some card handling skills, or can manage an audience, or can misdirect should have no problem coming up with an alternate method for doing whatever you have to do. But of course I think everyone's main concern is the gimmick.. how good is the quality, any arts and crafts, reliability, longevity, loading/ditching ect. Only time will tell.

Either way I really like the effect, it's visual and impossible which is exactly the kind of magic I like to perform. I can't wait to use this as a finisher for my color changing deck routine. It would be nice if you could restore the piece at the end like in Color Fusion, but I think it looks good as is. It's still an impossible souvenir as long as they keep the torn piece. Both are similar in effect, but Contrast is much more direct. I like Color Fusion, it looks great but it seems like it takes a bit of time to perform and its a lot more hands on and requires a lot more fiddling. Anyway I'll post a detailed review as soon as I finish the dvd and get a chance to play with the gimmick a bit.

-Jameson
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Jamo425 , will have to wait for your review ~ I'm also very interested in knowing the color changing of the last piece for Contrast .

- Albert Einstein
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7534 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Congrats Jameson for entering the Wingman hall of fame.
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
I received mine!! Just watched the DVD and gave it my first try. I can confirm the following

1. It's very clever. Nothing like what I thought it was. It's CLEVER!
2. The 3/4 piece you hold IS the signed card. Changes from blue to red. And you can immediately hand it back to spectator.
3. I thought it was not going to work like how they explained in the DVD. But it almost happened automatically. Takes about 5 mins of toying around to get down though.
4. Comes with gimmick. Well made. Looks like a pain to make. I am happy it comes with a gimmick rather than teaching us how to make these hard to make arts and crafts gimmicks.

I am very happy for the purchase. Highly, highly recommend this!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Thanks Hodinhyu, that gives me some peace of mind knowing that I didn't completely waste my money. Can't wait to play with it myself!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL