The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
How are the angle, how streamlined is the handling and could you easily perform this on television (with the tv rights, of course). Could you also do this strolling? (How's the reset or could you have tons of cards set up?)
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I could be wrong but it sounds like it only comes with one gimmick since he said "I'm glad it comes with A gimmick". So unless it does come with multiple gimmicks or you can build your own, I doubt you can have multiple cards set up. I am curious about the reset time also tho, as long as I don't have to duck into a corner for 5 mins (which I doubt as well) then I'm cool with a little bit of reset time. I can't see it being automatic.
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
The angle is pretty good. I first thought it's just for front angle, after testing with a gourd of friends. I think what's taking place happens too fast. I did it surrounded and no one had any idea. And most of my friends have seen a lot from me. Reaction was great they love it. Reset time is maybe 3-5 seconds. There are two versions of the trick. One you need to make some refill cards (or buy them). The other one which you also change the color of the corner in spectator's hand you don't need to make anything. The gimmick that comes with the DVD can be reused over and over. I actually prefer this handling. It gives one more phase to the magic and it happens in spectator's hand.
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:
I am very happy for the purchase. Highly, highly recommend this!

Quote:
On Jan 22, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Can't wait to play with it myself!

Hi HoDinhYu and Jameson,

Would you be so kind as to provide additional info in the checklist? You will help magicians to become wiser and informed purchasers.

1. Performance - Issues related to close-up transformation deceptiveness, and angle vulnerability. Can the torn piece be changed and restored?
2. Environment - To which environmental influences is the gimmick subjected during use?
3. Handling - Issues related to naturalness, timing, and audience management
4. Examinability - To which extent can the spectator inspect? How to ditch the gimmick?
5. Reset time - Mean time between setup and use
6. Aesthetics quality - Alignment precision, look, feel, sound, and finish
7. Durability - How long does it last after repeated use?
8. Serviceability - Ease of repair, part replacement, and new construction
9. Transportation - Is the gimmick easy to carry and easy to hide?
10. Quantity, size and weight - What is included in the package?
11. Final assembly - Ready for use, Ready to assemble, Do-It-Yourself
12. Materials - Are certain materials required to use but not included in the package? Refills?
13. Storage - Does it require specific measures to store the gimmick properly?
14. Safety - Provision of facilities for the safety of users and non-users
15. Product policy - TV rights granted?
16. Refund liability - Issues related to the right to a refund and product return
17. Instructional quality - Issues related to video production and teaching qualities
18. Usability - Ease of use, learning curve, and sleight difficulty
19. Versatility - Potential for continued adaptation value to many different routines
20. Perceived product value - Subjective impression by comparing with similar products

Thank you! Smile
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Samchak, I did buy this but I don't have it yet. I would be happy to review this in detail as soon as it comes in. I just ordered this yesterday so it should be here by monday (hopefully). The only question I can answer for you right now is that I know TV rights are not included.

Edit: sorry didn't read all of your questions. As far as I know, the torn piece cannot be restored as I'm sure they would have included that in the trailer/description. but you can change the piece in the spectators hand. Handmade gimmick is included, they teach two handlings the 3/4 color change and full card color change, and its fully examinable (post change, idk about before). This is all on the product page which you can check out here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20508
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Samchak, I did buy this but I don't have it yet. I would be happy to review this in detail as soon as it comes in. I just ordered this yesterday so it should be here by monday (hopefully). The only question I can answer for you right now is that I know TV rights are not included.

Looking forward to seeing your review very soon. To be honest, I enjoy watching the trailer and being fooled by Victor Sanz's Contrast. Smile
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Edit: sorry didn't read all of your questions. As far as I know, the torn piece cannot be restored as I'm sure they would have included that in the trailer/description. but you can change the piece in the spectators hand.

Thanks. That's my consideration in Item #19. I'm okay with the gimmick that allows the instant 3/4 transformation. Wouldn't it be great if the handling of Contrast allows the performer to adapt the element of Restoration with handlings by Guy Hollingworth, Daniel Garcia, Mathieu Bich, Blake Vogt, John Lovick, Gared Crawford, and Nash Fung? Smile

~ Albert Einstein ~
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 22, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:
The angle is pretty good. I first thought it's just for front angle, after testing with a gourd of friends. I think what's taking place happens too fast. I did it surrounded and no one had any idea. And most of my friends have seen a lot from me. Reaction was great they love it. Reset time is maybe 3-5 seconds. There are two versions of the trick. One you need to make some refill cards (or buy them). The other one which you also change the color of the corner in spectator's hand you don't need to make anything. The gimmick that comes with the DVD can be reused over and over. I actually prefer this handling. It gives one more phase to the magic and it happens in spectator's hand.

Thank you for your answers. I would still really like to know how streamlined the handling is. Would you be able to perform this without any misdirection? Are there any fishy moves?
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I would love it if the piece could be restored. Who knows, maybe it's possible. I don't know too many methods of a t&r but I do know of a few. Depending on how the gimmick works it may be doable. But unfortunately I won't know until I get my hands on this bad boy.. Nonetheless I still really like the effect as is, still very visual and impossible looking when you see their signature line up and the torn piece's back is a different color. Pretty mind boggling when you think about it, great idea by victor.

I just think we as magicians just think that way, if something gets torn, the logical thing that comes to us would be to restore it. But even though the spectator is left with two pieces, it still leaves an impossible souvenir (that I bet they would actually keep!) and a story for them to tell. That's my thinking at least and what sold me on it.

But jeez I'm counting the hours now waiting on this thing lol. Can't wait to use this with my color changing deck routine, I think it's a perfect fit to end with this.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Thinking ahead a little , if the corner is not restored , a spectator might loose the corner and after a while of time when they look at the three quarter card , they'll forget what exactly happened , while if the corner is restored , it leaves them with a strange looking one piece souvinier , when they look at it after some time , they'll probably still remember what happened ...

Maybe it's just me overthinking ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
I've heard the gimmick is quite flimsy and so could get quite messy quickly. Can anyone please confirm is this is true please? Thanks!
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Fusion is the same here in terms of messiness . When performing fusion there's a lot of pocket management and switching involved , everything gets messy . But with enough practice , one will definitely get used to it in terms of management , a little messiness for a great reaction ? I will take that sacrifice .

- Albert Einstein
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
But if the gimmick is not something that can be remade easily and yet becomes worn out pretty quickly then that's something that would make me question whether it's worth it. I'd like to buy something that will last a while.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

By the nature of this effect : folding of CARDS are required , the gimmick is bond to wear out if extensively used . Cards are prone to wearing , it's unavoidable .

I'm saying this based on my initial thoughts . I don't own contrast yet though .

- Albert Einstein
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Ok, cool, thanks.
Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
This is so clever! Did it on my first try and fooled myself in the mirror. Good buy. Contracts Victor Sans and SM!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Chad: Could you please answer my question about handling? Is it streamlined? Would it work on tv with the camera burning you? I mean the whole effect, not just the change.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4669 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2016, LankyHobo wrote:
But if the gimmick is not something that can be remade easily and yet becomes worn out pretty quickly then that's something that would make me question whether it's worth it. I'd like to buy something that will last a while.

Can anyone who owns this answer the above question? Of course if it's card based it's going to wear. Wonder if you can replicate the gimmick once it wears out? Anyone?
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Rnk, I will still be posting a detailed review on Contrast and will be happy to answer anyone's questions.. that is as soon as it comes.. unfortunately my package is running late. It was supposed to be here Monday afternoon. I'm quite annoyed but with the huge snowstorm that hit us over the weekend I guess I can understand it being a little late. So I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow.. but til then, sorry bud, not much I can do :/
Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
PatrickGregoire, I don't understand your question. But if you are talking about if misdirection is needed in this routine, nope. Yes I think it'd work on TV. Nothing to hide from the handling really.

RNK, it's card based and it's going to wear. You can replicate the gimmick. The gimmick should last you a long while though. I've been doing it a lot lately, it's actually pretty durable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Contrast by Victor Sanz (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL