The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » After Bobo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnage
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
40 Posts

Profile of karnage
OK, am a n00b here, I've more or less finished Bobo, skipping the parts on sleeving (weather here in M'sia too hot for long sleeves to be practical) and gaffed coins (custom made coins etc. are too expensive to be practical). Minus the hanky tricks (I don't have the habit of carrying hankies around) and somewhat dated tricks.....there's not much left for a full jaw dropping routine...So I'm just wondering what's the next step up

BTW here is my routine
2 coins across
C/Silver Transpo
Coin to Key/Smaller Coin
Dynamic Coins <----Need to have prop with me
Winged Silver <----Needs polishing
Classic Matrix <----Need to have cards with me
Coin falls upwards (Muscle Pass)
Coins through table
Just Pretend

Any of you have any ideas/tricks that I can add to that routine? I'm thinking of getting either Roths Expert Coin Magic... whether in book or DVD form, I'm not sure yet... was hoping you guys could put in your two cents, I'm thinking the book would be more economical, and I learn fine from books...
And your verdict is....?

Thanks all
Cheers
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
That's quite a routine.

But, since you're not keen on gaffs...

Before you buy the book on Roth's coin magic, you should know that about a third is devoted to coin boxes, and another third is table-routines needing various props. It's a very great book, you'll get alot out of it, but without at least some sort of ]coin and some kind of c/s coin, you might be disapointed.

"CoinMagic", also by Kaufman, is another great one after Bobo's. But again, to get the most out of it you'll want a ] and a c/s coin. It does use possibly fewer props/gaffs than the book about Roth.

Both are very good books, but do use gaffs. What are some good, non-gaffed books (that are not terribly hard to find)?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You might want to reconsider the handkerchief and routines like the Tenkai Pennies, Expansion of Texture, The Pulse Trick etc.

The Roth Book is another trove of goodies.

Gaffs and toys can always wait till you get inspired.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
karnage
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
40 Posts

Profile of karnage
Hi there, and thanks... I'm fine with using the okito box thankfully, only problem is with C/S coins in local currency...
And, to John, I would love to do the pulse trick, but the radius of the local coin normally used for tricks is less than an inch! And the biggest coin is smaller than the Half Dollar...kinda makes b.palm impossible Smile
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
I do the pulse trick using tenkai clip - try it - I think it works fine that way.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get Mickey Silver's dvd when it is released for his retention vanish.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Some excellent ideas with regular change as apposed to halfs and silver dollars are in Jim Buffalo's 'Buffalo'd'

Some very clever ideas in there to get the creative juices flowing.

Whoops, almost forgot to mention Milt Kort's THe magic of Kort. I highly recommend his one coin routine. Very clever stuff.

Both buffalo and Kort contributed to Bobo's book of coin magic, so you can see the thought process in them.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4863 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Consider getting Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic video/dvd. Most of the stuff is with regular coins and I think you will find usable material in the collection.
karnage
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
40 Posts

Profile of karnage
OK, thanks for the ideas guys!
:)
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Also the first three videos in Roth's series Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, do not use gaffs of any kind and they contain a veritable treasure trove of effects.

(As a side note, I too thought learning from books was fine until I picked up one of these videos. Nothing can compare with actually seeing how it looks when performed. It's like having your own private teacher.)
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
James -

I will search to find Milt Kort's, The Magic of Kort.

Do you know if this available somewhere?
Thanks.

cp
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
AfterBobo... is that like cologne for real coinmen?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I love it!!!!

I wouldn't switch for any other.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Stevens Emporium might have a copy of Kort.

http://www.stevensmagic.com

You might not find it on their website, but if you give them a call, they will let you know if its on the shelf.
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
I had the same problem Karnage. And I just started to read Expert Coin Magic, beside the coinbox magic, and magic with gaffed coins there is a lot of great other material. I have also Revelutionary Coin Magic, but I think Expert Coin Magic is more basic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » After Bobo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL