The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Best Teachers on DVD. (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lukacs
View Profile
New user
North Huntingdon, PA
3 Posts

Profile of Lukacs
No arguments to those already suggested. I just purchased Nothing But the Best Series and am very impressed. He may not be the best for beginners, but his effects get the desired "No Way" reaction from the audience and he explains the theory behind how he constructed them and improved them over time, based on what his audience's reaction taught him about the effect. If you're looking for a DVD that takes you to the next level, you won't be disappointed!
Lukacs
View Profile
New user
North Huntingdon, PA
3 Posts

Profile of Lukacs
Also, I like Liam Montier at Big Blind Medua (BBM), especially for beginners. Liam presents moves that he uses with tips to make them more effective based on his experience. His explanation is clear and the production is good. Plus, he is very cordial and upbeat in any email exchange I've had with him. Liam's DVDs will add tools to your toolbox!
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
For me as new to magic I really like:
Liam Montier in the different projects DVDs &
Dan Harlan in the Tarbell serie.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Daryl, Jay Sankey, Michael Ammar, Doc Eason in that order for me.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
n361128
View Profile
New user
Lytham
85 Posts

Profile of n361128
Jay Sankey is a great teacher whose enthusiasm is infectious
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
This is such a personal question.

Jay Sankey's material is hit or miss but his teaching is good and (to me) he's extremely entertaining even when I'm not going to actually learn the tricks he teaches.

Eugene Burger's philosophy of magic is, in many ways, similar to my own, so his DVDs teach me a lot about the behind the scenes of magic and the presentation of magic, whether or not I'm learning the tricks.

Doc Eason will show you tried and true "workers" and provide a lesson in how to *entertain* the audience.

So many great guys doing great things, and what works for one won't necessarily work for another. For instance, objectively speaking, Michael Ammar is a great magician and a great teacher--but his style doesn't speak to me as much as some of the others. That's not to say I don't like him, but he's not on my "favorites" list as he is on so many others'.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Richard Osterlind
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Lorayne and Vincent.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Johnny Thompson is fantastic
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Ammar, Sankey, Osterlind, & Vernon
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, Infographicmagicreviews wrote:
Brad from ellusionist is a good teacher. I got his package from ellusionist when they had a promotion. I like his way of teaching.

I bought some stuff from them a long time ago when I had more money than self-respect. While Mr. Christian gives off a vibe of affability and approachability, there's less there than meets the eye. He's got some things right - he sems to have heard of Paul Harris advising people not to step on the moment of astonishment, and he wisely advises folks to slow down what they do. He can also be astonishingly inarticulate and too often teaches poor or utterly incorrect technique. He teaches a version of the Riffle Force that is vastly inferior to the technique found in Hugard's More Card Manipulations, No. 4 and in Expert Card Technique, and seems unaware of the technical refinement given the lesser version by Vernon in his Inner Card Trilogy. (Note: I've seen several famous performers do the Riffle Force incorrectly - it baffles me because the correct technique is just as easy and more deceptive). He shows a Marlo sleight that he calls "the Marlo fan control" (which was published by Racherbaumer in Card Finesse as The Old In-and-Out"), and his method is utterly, completely wrong. When he grips a double in preparation for Marlo's Miracle Card Switch, he shows that he has never seen the first chapter of Revolutionary Card Technique. I saw a video on Youtube of him exhorting folks about postures, movements, and "tics" which can betray the execution of a sleight. After a bit of fumbling, he reaches in the bag and comes out with the word "indicator", as if he never heard any magician or gambler call it a 'tell'. Some of those videos had some decent material, but there are better sources.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Smile
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
49 Posts

Profile of emanuele
I must suggest Michael Vincent's "The Classic Magic of Michael Vincent", "Rhapsodies in Silver", "Elegant Deceptions" and "The Quest for Mastery". All four volumes span over a total of like 14 DVDs.

It's what I would consider the best high-end card course I've seen on DVD. His teaching style I find has some similarities with Lorayne (which is another awesome teacher as well) and he's paired with Chris Harding of Alakazam throughout the series, who is often asking useful questions and clarifications.
I wouldn't suggest the whole series to a complete card beginner. Yet, if you've worked your way through, say, the Royal Road to Card Magic, then this DVD series I think would be perfect.

It has an incredible amount of both "workers" and a bit more intricate and intriguing effects, which Michael drops on the audiences with incredible ease and naturalness (including what lot of people would consider routines full of knucklebusting moves). Includes discussions on routining, working in restaurants, has beautiful shows both close-up and stand-up/parlor, and all in all, if someone were to pick his ONLY card repertoire from those lessons, he/she'd be considered a real expert on card magic/manipulation, and could do a living off it Smile

One DVD is ONLY dedicated to explaining the "basics done right" of card handling, which WILL correct some of the most common mistakes done when picking up a deck for deceptive purposes for the first time Smile

After that, another teacher I liked on DVD was Darwin Ortiz (Nothing but the best series, and Penguin lecture). He's a particular fellow both in his presentation style and teaching method, yet the touches he channels through his explanations reveal incredible insight on how things work in the mind of laypeople and...well we all know it, Darwin is one of the best theorycrafters in magic today. I'd rather suggest you reading Ortiz's books, but his DVD material is excellent as well.
And hey, he created some of the most beautiful effects in card magic in my opinion.
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
I may have misunderstood the intent of the OP, but... I think the answer varies based on what is being taught. Here's what I personally think:
1) Ambitious Card or Cups and Balls - Daryl
2) Gambling Related Routines - Jack Carpenter
3) Coins - Eric Jones
4) General Card Routines - Darwin Ortiz
Tada!...

lejulio
View Profile
New user
Worlwide
56 Posts

Profile of lejulio
M. Ammar and Rocco!
n361128
View Profile
New user
Lytham
85 Posts

Profile of n361128
Richard Osterlind is fantastic and inspiring
bbeishline
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bbeishline
This a little tangential to the OP question, but several years ago I got a copy of Dan and Dave Buck's "The System" DVD cheap from eBay. It is flourishes and not magic per se. On that disk they teach with no words, just showing the moves in slow motion from different angles. I have to say that for me that teaching method was terrible. Even in slow motion it's hard to follow it through as you are looking down at your hands and trying to watch what is happening on the screen at the same time. Within a short time I find that the video is too far ahead of where I am and I can no longer follow, and I have to start over from the beginning. I compare that to a flourish I learned from one of the Best of Sankey DVDs, where he shows you what to do but also stops at each step and verbally describes it in detail. SO much easier to follow.

I think the whole System thing was a bit of a teaching experiment and I'm not saying they are bad teachers in general. I also haven't heard feedback from others on how it worked for them. But for me it was really bad. I don't have any of their other stuff. Hopefully it's better.

Ben
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
George Wilson, Sankey are my favorites
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
To mention only 3 is really not fair
I'd go with (no particular order):
-Michael Ammar
-Daryl
-Richard Osterlind
-Bill Malone
-Tommy Wonder
-Johnny Thompson
-Gregory Wilson
-Joshua Jay
-Jay Sankey
-Dan Harlan
-David Williamson
-Oz Pearlman
-Aaron Fisher
-Rick Lax
----------------------------------
Those were on the top of my head!
In my opinion these guys teach you not only tricks and methods, but how to be a magician!
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. ~ Mark Twain
javlin5
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of javlin5
I like Michael Ammar style of instruction.

Great tricks
Easy, clear, and concise explanations.

His Easy to Master Series is one of the best resources for quality magic in my opinion.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
The best teachers on DVD I kept constant watching, maybe not even learn tricks just listen to what they said on magic as follows:
- The late Tommy Wonder
- Michael Ammar
- David Williamson
- Juan Tamariz

Other like Daryl, Malone and many others also very, very good. It just those gentlemen mentioned above I keep revisit and watch their DVDs more.

Besides, most of my current magic learning are from books solely, say revisit old books such as the Greater Magic...
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Best Teachers on DVD. (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL