The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seems like we're fighting the wrong war (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Joke: Nagician shows peer a card trick, then offers to show his classic pass. The guy replies no thanks I've been married for years. It's a bot joke. Tricksters winced already.

Aha, you can tell I'm not really on that server cluster! Annother bot joke.

Or is it really like insect politics?

Yes! It is exactly like Insect politics. An astute observation.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Do you have sources to support the Rand/Dagney and John (Galt) position?

Uh...no, because I've written nothing in this thread, or in my 10+ years here for that matter, to even leave a whisper of a hint that I ever supported Ayn Rand's philosophy. In fact, IIRC, in my first few encounters with you here, I opposed your championing of Rand.

I really can't explain myself any better. I'm exhausted. I'm out of this thread.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Joke: Nagician shows peer a card trick, then offers to show his classic pass. The guy replies no thanks I've been married for years. It's a bot joke. Tricksters winced already.

Aha, you can tell I'm not really on that server cluster! Annother bot joke.

Or is it really like insect politics?

Yes! It is exactly like Insect politics. An astute observation.

I thought he meant insect politicians.

Like locusts.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
...insect politicians...

Yes, as in The Fly.

The "no brainers" don't need politics. They don't need politicians seeking to elicit consent. There's no extraneous sense of self needing persuasion. Bruce Sterling and others including Frank Herbert have written about people visiting such cultures.

But must we have such a culture? As of Hobbes' book Leviathan it seems to be a forgone conclusion. There's some discussion that pertains to the war on ignorance in section IV.

Landmark says we are fine without any sense of self, let it go, essentialy a call to Complete The Circle. No more John Galts going on strike rather than support the greater good. No more Dagney's giving their all to keep the business running. I can respect that position. I was just looking to see if others wished to argue for other.

May the force be with US.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I stopped talking about Rand long ago.

It just gets people angry.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
If I was one of these creatures it is possible I might very well prefer to be left alone.

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My cat's breath smells like catfood.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
...insect politicians...

Yes, as in The Fly.

The "no brainers" don't need politics. They don't need politicians seeking to elicit consent. There's no extraneous sense of self needing persuasion. Bruce Sterling and others including Frank Herbert have written about people visiting such cultures.

But must we have such a culture? As of Hobbes' book Leviathan it seems to be a forgone conclusion. There's some discussion that pertains to the war on ignorance in section IV.

Landmark says we are fine without any sense of self, let it go, essentialy a call to Complete The Circle. No more John Galts going on strike rather than support the greater good. No more Dagney's giving their all to keep the business running. I can respect that position. I was just looking to see if others wished to argue for other.

May the force be with US.

How can we? Didn't Captain Bly sail away with the Breadfruit? Cook's savage remains anonymous.
Delta- Wye anyone? Not all penguins can swim Mother. Harvest day is here and I'm not tilling anymore.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It helps to state your thesis before offering compact argument. In this case - we/US already pretty much engaged in the process. Leviathan, Beatrice, Yum, Papa Song - already happening. Okay that last one was from a fiction.

I thought the name of the ship was Bounty. Was that a quick enough pickerupper?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seems like we're fighting the wrong war (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL