The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets: Alternatives to burning? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
544 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hello Ricky Atkinson,

Thanks for sharing your idea. I like it and will try it as soon as possible. It is novel and different than the regular tearing, burning, ditching etc.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3461 Posts

Profile of Looch
FINISH HIM!!!
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Ken, truly excellent advice, thank you so much for sharing this!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Ken's right. Anything that makes an event planner even a little annoyed is a very bad thing -- particularly when she has so many other excellent options to choose from.

I remember doing a show in Cambridge Bay -- on the Arctic Ocean. During the tech rehearsal the town's fire chief got in my face...directly and warned me that I'd be charged and arrested if there was ANY fire in my show. He went to great lengths to explain how serious any fire was in that environment. He also told me about a magician who had been there the previous year who used some kind of fire effect and had his show shut down instantly.

Sometimes it's just a regulation...sometimes more than that. We don't see all sides as performers.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I wonder that nobody mentioned the good old spys who ate their billets once caught...
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I talked about billet eating, and was scoffed at..
I've asked to be banned
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2268 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2016, Zee wrote:
Maybe put it in a bear bottle or some kind of container that allows billets to go in but not out Smile

Zee

I am assuming you mean BEER bottle....ha! But, this is what I often use if I'm doing something in this type of venue where they are present.

Bryn
*POST-PANDEMIC SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, IAIN wrote:
I talked about billet eating, and was scoffed at..

Iain, it depends always who says what... As Germans generally are said to be without any sense of humor I come through with it Smile ... although I might be a good example for this misbelief Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2016, Zee wrote:
Maybe put it in a bear bottle or some kind of container that allows billets to go in but not out Smile
Unless you have extremely not-so-good performance, no one will ask to break the bottle for the confirmation of some sort.

Zee

Use a wine glass to hold the billet or billets and a nice looking wine bottle to drop the torn billet pieces into.

Or you could just go the clown route and stick the billet to your forehead and leave it there until the routine is finished. Once the routine is done, reach up and pull the billet from your forehead, where it turn into a small white silk..... Yea, that's it.... LOL

Since it appears that there is not much humor in this thread, the clown part was meant to be a joke, but please feel free to use it if you want.

I do like the wine bottle idea.

Ray
plmqaz1243
View Profile
Regular user
Only has
141 Posts

Profile of plmqaz1243
Thanks for all the replies, guys.
Of course, nothing is as flashy as fire, but the beer/wine bottle idea is pretty good. If the only concern about fire is smoke, doing the Osterlind lighter switch for a flash paper dummy gets you all the flash and none of the sprinkler activation. I seem to remember some sort of edible paper from the spy kits of my childhood that could be switched in a similar fashion.

Something I just came up with is sticking the billet writing side down to a piece of duct tape. Another one is using the trash, or if the place where you work is the kind of place you wouldn't mind tossing scraps of paper around in, crumpling the billet up and tossing it away could effective and comical, especially if you land it in the adjacent table's drinks. I have a little chop cup thing with crumpled dollar bills where I toss the bills behind me to vanish them (make sure to switch the bill for a piece of paper before you throw!) and I got quite good at aiming (read: joke).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billets: Alternatives to burning? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL