The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Insidious by Michael Scanzello (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
This is my kind of magic.
Organic magic that has amazing visuals and looks totally impromptu and on the spot.
I really can't wait for this.

Trailer:

All the best,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
302 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
Beat me to it by one second man looks fantastic
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Insidious (DVD and Props) by Michael Scanzello

Available at Hocus Pocus with FREE SHIPPING IN THE USA!
This item is a Preorder and will be shipping on 2/9/2016.

Here is the full ad copy:

"Mike Scanzello has created a terrific routine for the strolling performer that packs a lot of action into a short span of time with a few ordinary looking props. . . This routine is intelligent, diabolical and, well, Insidious!"
- Marc Desouza

"Great take on copper silver brass using everyday objects!!"
- Dan Hauss

A Copper Silver Brass routine that FINALLY has the killer ending it deserves!
It's Diabolical, double-barreled method will ensnare spectators! Besides the eye-popping, tactile transpos there is a devious method lurking no one sees until it's WAY too late!

In this multi-phase routine you get a dynamic 2 for 1 transpo, an in the hands copper/silver transpo, and a NEW knockout finale where the initialed coin vanishes in mid-air to end up in the matchbox the spectator holds! She can remove herself. You end clean. If you want to leave people awestruck, pick up Insidious today!

Key points:

• Visual. Lightning speed coin/key transpositions!
  • Personal. Half the routine occurs in the spectator's hands!
  • Killer Finale! Initialed coin travels to the box in the spectator's possession! Magician never touches the matchbox again from the beginning. One of the most hands off object to impossible place effects you can do!
  • Universal. Works with coins from any country up to half dollar size!
  • Worker. Perform in real world conditions.
  • Fun! Simple to Perform. Start clean, end clean.
  • Practical. Takes up little pocket space, resets quickly.
  • Includes Almost Everything! Just need 3 regular coins and a black marker.
  • Custom. Matchbox is custom-sized for easy handling and durability.

DVD Contents:

• 34 minutes of in-depth instruction
  • Full Live Performance
  • Insidious 3 Phase Routine
  • Mid-Air, Flip Vanish
  • Additional Tips and Basic Handling
  • Psychology, Misdirection, and Real World Tips throughout!

Props Included:

• Custom-Sized Matchbox (folded flat for shipping)
  • Brass Key
  • Alcohol Prep Pads for reset
  • Everything you need except 3 regular coins and a black marker.

Thanks to Jay Sankey for permission.
Copyright Amazing Moments Agency, LLC 2014 All rights reserved.
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Looks like a practical bit of magic for walk around, that doesn’t take up too much pocket space
It’s currently due to ship on the 9th Feb.
For UK magicians, I confirmed with the manufacturer that it works with UK coins.

Merchant of Magic have it on the site now here:
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.......d=147288

If you subscribe to the MoM newsletter, it’s worth checking your inbox for the launch deal..
The match box has been specially made for Insidious, so it has just the right action. It’s also much stronger than a normal matchbox, so that’s a plus if you are using this commercially.

Hope this helps
Dominic
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Trailer doesn't say much. I hope to see a performance from start to finish. Scotch and soda using a key is a very old idea.
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Honest Deception Mike
Michael Scanzello here: In reply to academy's post. I do have a full live performance on the DVD. I honestly don't know what exactly you are referring to when you say," Scotch and soda using a key. . ." Maybe you could give me a couple sentences describing the effect you think it is. I am familiar with Scotch and Soda with two contrasting coins (copper/silver) are given to a spectator and one of the coins changes in their hands or you make a coin disappear and it can end up somewhere else using a gaffed set of coins. I don't know how the key plays into what you said, unless you are implying that the one coin transforms into a key? I will freely admit that idea of transforming a coin into a key is old indeed. I give full crediting and history on the DVD as well for all the old concepts I have re-purposed for my routine. I firmly believe everything comes from somewhere in the past if only in inspiration. As Darwin Ortiz says,(paraphrasing here) is the new variation worthy of being put out? Are there significant advantages over this approach than all others? I do of course feel there are. I believe the initialed coin to match box finale and being able to start and end clean as part of the routine (not with an additional switch out) are the most important advantages here. Any working performer knows card to wallet is a killer. Initialed coin to box the spectator is holding is equally powerful. The added benefit of the almost impromptu nature (there is a little work of about 5 minutes to set-up any coins) you can use any coins from any country. You can remake a set yourself for little or no money. No expensive Copper Silver Brass set to lose. Also, can alter the set for a country you travel to making it more versatile and cost effective. Not sure that completely answers your post academy let me know more specifically your thoughts.
Michael Scanzello

Check out "Insidious" CSB with a NEW killer ending!

See trailers here: http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=55048
Available at your Favorite Murphy's Magic Dealer

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Beside the fact you don't show what the effect is, description is very vague. If you decide to be old style with no demos at least try to be detailed in the description. I see a key in the trailer which is not even mentioned in the description. I'm very confused. Just trying to understand.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I agree. Click through data on the demo seems to back that up too. The trailer needs to be clearer IMHO. It's a great bit of kit for a performer, and deserves a better demo...
I've requested a better performance video from the distributor, so hopefully we can make what's on offer here a bit clearer.

Dominic
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

To answer the question about the effect: Here is a rundown of the three phases:
Phase 1. You start out with a brass key, a dark/dirty coin, and a silver coin with the spectator's initials on it in your left hand. You take the dark coin in your right hand. Say they will switch places. That is when the dark coin changes into the key and initialed coin, in the left hand is the dark coin.
Phase 2. You drop the key into the open matchbox the spectator holds to make it easier to follow. Now you place the dark and initialed coin in a spectator's hand. You remove the dark coin. The coins change places. You end up with the initialed coin. Spectator now has the dark coin.
Phase 3. You or the spectator drops the dark coin into the matchbox. You have only the initialed coin left. You have the spectator close up the matchbox they hold from the start. You make the initialed coin disappear. Then you tell the spectator to open the box to find the initialed coin now inside. Everything can be examined.

That is the effect.
Does that clarify what happens?
Michael Scanzello

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Hi,
Here is a link to the live performance footage for Insidious: https://vimeo.com/153528283
Also, available at Murphy's Magic on the product page. It is the second video: http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=55048
Michael Scanzello

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Looks good. Is it necessary to know beforehand the initials of the spectator who initials the quarter?
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Thanks. No prep work needed. You write the initials as you set-up for the routine in front of the whole group. So you can perform over and over with no prep. I designed it to be practical and powerful to use in my professional set. Smile
Michael Scanzello

Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
This is a very nice , well thought out routine. It gets stronger throughout too. I could see this getting stronger reactions than other c/s routines I have. Possibly even Freakey.
I have a question though...
Why do you use the dirty coin rather than a gimmick. Is it because its cheaper and can be used in any country?
I have a concern that it may make the secret more obvious compared to a c/s gimmick . As its made by inking each face .
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
I own Pi ring on band, which I consider to be a quality release, so Michael has credibility with me. I am looking forward to this.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Hi Roki,
Good question, I wanted to use coins/ objects that looked common place. I considered using a coin/button gaff, even have a prototype. I got such strong reactions consistently from the dirty coin gaff it didn't warrant jumping the price tag up to $65 for the gaff.I even used a double-sided coin, but saw no difference in reactions with a regular coin. I was surprised how much this fooled laymen myself! Also, I crafted the routine to cancel out all possible solutions by the end.

A standard c/s does work in the routine. I like the dirty coin though because it has a better contrast in low light. I stopped doing copper silver/spellbound in venues because people couldn't see the change. With a dark coin and shiny,silver coin the change is more striking. Yes, a side benefit was being able to make a set cheaply for any country. Smile
Michael Scanzello

Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Thanks Romano911! I do try to think about what I can add in or test more to ensure everything is good to go.
Michael Scanzello

Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Mine arrived yesterday, watched the DVD. I'm really digging this.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Watched this last night. Haven't tried it yet so this is only a first impressions review, but I think this is a winner. I've always loved the CSB plot and own a few Schoolcraft sets and the fantastic Orient Express from Mark Mason. For some reason, however, I rarely perform a CSB routine in my set. Insidious might get me over the hump. It's very simple to make and all the objects are real world objects people will recognize. The blackened quarter is a little odd but I actually like it and the visual contrast it provides is great. Obviously, there are no shells involved but there is one very easily made gimmick which is gone by the end so that you end completely clean and everything can be examined. The nicest part of the routine is the ending where the spectator clearly closes the matchbox after confirming only two objects inside. You vanish the signed quarter and the specter opens the box to find the signed quarter staring them in the face. It's that clean and direct.

This routine is not self working. There are some sleights involved. All basic unless you want to do the final coin vanish that Michael uses. That will take work and I doubt many people will opt for it but Michael also teaches an easy alternative. Any coin vanish you are comfortable with will work. Personally, I use and love the Trabucco Holdout so the quarter I use will have a certain "attractive" quality to it. If you use Sean Goodman's fabulous Secret Servante, that is also a great option for a super clean vanish. As for the signed coin, you are the one that writes the initials on the coin but I don't see that as a weakness. Coins are smaller and harder to write on and if you truly feel the need to justify why you are signing (I don't feel the need to justify), Michael gives you his justification and I think you could also just say that you don't want the spectator to get permaneant marker on their fingers. The only potential negative is that you obviously need to clean off the spectator's initials during the reset. This is very easy, but it's not instant. A simple hand sanitizer wipe does the trick. So it's an almost instant reset.

Bottom line, I'm excited to try this out. You get the key and the matchbox (both ungimmicked) and all you need to supply are the quarters. Blackening the quarter and making the gimmick takes less than 5 minutes and Michael walks you through how to do it and how to get the aged look he gets.

For this price, I don't see anyone being disappointed with this. Congrats Michael.
Honest Deception Mike
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Thanks! Appreciate all the in depth comments Eric! Just one thing about the reset: I cover the clean-up with a joke. I Have the spectator try to wipe their initials off, they can't. I say, "Would it be good if I could make the initials disappear?" Then I pull out the wipe and clean it. The little time it takes to wipe happens while the audience laughs at the joke. I love doing the clean up for the joke. It's always good to leave a group laughing. Smile
Michael Scanzello

Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Looks like fun.
Congrats, Mike!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Insidious by Michael Scanzello (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL