The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » To catch a con (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Just like little kids who pick on others and feel so proud of themselves for exposing secrets of the trade.

If a hard working psychic bothers some of you, then why don't you also attack the pros who do this? That Edwards guy and the other psychics that you see on TV. They make a lot of money by hoodwinking others.

If I am not mistaken, isn't there a psychic that we know who sells books under another name? Books that we all buy. I am sure that he charges money for being/working as a psychic.

What about starting a campaign against mind readers (mentalists). After all they had no trouble doing their best trying to get people to believe in what they do. Even using the ruse of NLP or body reading, it is all the same, and that is taking advantage of people. They (mentalists) are hoodwinking the public. Shame on these guys. With their billets and book tests. Why don't we show others where to buy the books and videos on how mind reading is done. If someone was a bible thumper and believed that mind reading and magic was the work of the devil, would it be wrong for the bible thumbed to exposed our little secrets? Is't it the same thing as exposuring a psychic?

Don't we as mind readers take money for our demonstrations (shows/programs)?

So I guess that all psychics should be brought down to their knees as we expose their little tricks and lies? Expect (of course) for the ones that write books for mentalists, yes?

If we really had the man bits, we would go after the neon psychics. But then again, I did say if we had the man bits. I am sure that if we did go after the neon psychic, there would a very different outcome from what we expected.

Wow, I feel so goodie two shoe right now. Let's just exposed everything, what do you boys say?

Oh, I know, but these psychic cheat people out of their money. We all all grown people and if someone wants to see a psychic, it is their choice, not a save the world tree hugger to force them otherwise.

My 2 cents, keep the change
Ray
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
People's opinions change rapidly when they or friends/family get affected negatively by any and all situations...

"If a hard working psychic bothers some of you, then why don't you also attack the pros who do this? That Edwards guy and the other psychics that you see on TV. They make a lot of money by hoodwinking others."

partly, or rather, mainly - because of reality... time, money, lawyers, and all things inbetween get in the way... so though we couldn't, say, stop huge illegal corporation based activities, we could report someone who works locally doing dodgy deals and ripping off old ladies via fixing their roof...

if I could personally stop all tv psychics doing their thing, and stop them having tv shows - then I certainly would...i do not believe in selling soup made from the dead's bones...and I don't believe someone's grief should be for "entertainment purposes"...

if someone is bothered enough to want to act upon something that they feel is immoral, good for them...as long as they do it honestly and fairly - good for them...i certainly believe bobser would do that...if he's not making mischief...

i am not saying keep the change, I am giving you (collectively) a ten pence piece and saying "treat yourself to something nice"... Smile
I've asked to be banned
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Just a couple of points to clarify and address -

Exposure for profit (Daz buckey): the earliest documented exposure that I am aware of would be around 200AD with St. Hippolytus and the precursor to this psychics talking kettle, namely a talking translucent skull. This was just a we bit before Houdini and like houdinis crusade against psychics Hippolytus too served an agenda but instead of self promotion it was promotion of Christianity.

Iain's comment of this is no show - as I read it, this reminds me of the old spook shows and talking tea kettle /aladin lamp shows.

Walter
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, WDavis wrote:

Iain's comment of this is no show

i don't understand this terminology in regards to the sentence structure...what do you mean?
I've asked to be banned
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
The difference should be clear by anyone with a working moral compass. Think of it this way. Identity theft is illegal. You can't just go around pretending to be someone else. Yet, most of us love actors taking on roles, playing people they are not - for entertainment. In fact they get paid fabulously for playing people they are not. While plenty of people out there play a mentalist and do proper shows, there seems to be a shortage of people 'playing a psychic'. It's never 'for entertainment purposes' - they always claim it's the 'real deal'. And anyone who is a member of a forum like this one concerned with techniques designed to fool people should understand how this kind of thing can be used for nefarious purposes. Like scamming old people out of money. Or pretending to be something you're not without being clear with people that you're an entertainer. You might as well just go down to the bank and rob directly from their accounts.

But then again I've come to the conclusion that the whole world is insane so just do what you like.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Iain - I was addressing this comment.

Quote:
so if bobser has a concern, and by his description of what is going on, he is genuinely concerned about what is going on...it is NOT a mentalism show...it is not a SHOW at all....

I read your comment saying it was not a show, but it read to me like the talking tea kettle spook show Nelson put out years ago. So it it read to me as a show that's all.

Trying to reply on a phone is hard
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...i'm willing to bet some people will think its the writer's fault...

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/......-my-life
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, WDavis wrote:
Iain - I was addressing this comment.

Quote:
so if bobser has a concern, and by his description of what is going on, he is genuinely concerned about what is going on...it is NOT a mentalism show...it is not a SHOW at all....

I read your comment saying it was not a show, but it read to me like the talking tea kettle spook show Nelson put out years ago. So it it read to me as a show that's all.

Trying to reply on a phone is hard

ah I see... I read bobser's original post to mean that it definitely isn't a show of any kind, and not done for entertainment (though it might have that as a legal disclaimer) - but that's just peace-meal, and that the person is supposedly the real-deal...

one other thought - as soon as you release any kind of material where you give techniques and methods to do "stuff", then unless that technique/method just reads as "simply use your psychic ability to find out the person's name" - then you're not really psychic...you can claim to be, and do it for entertainment, sell tickets, take a booking or you can go another route...one that isn't clear...

however, not being clear doesn't necessarily mean you are out to scam someone...

so lets hope bobser gets his camera and films some evidence either way...

if anyone is familiar with the now deceased Colin Fry, he was once caught playing the spirit trumpet when the camera crew accidentally flicked the wrong switch and the lights came on...he was tootling away on it quite happily... later on he claimed that a spirit possessed him and made him do it...who knows eh....
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Can we pick and choose when exposure is warranted ?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...i don't see why not...

sometimes, some countries think its ok to kill criminals who have been convicted of certain illegal activities...others don't...i don't think there's a single answer, probably just on a case by case kinda thing...
I've asked to be banned
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Should palm readers and tarot readers also be exposed? I don't get why any entertainer would want to expose another.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why don't people read threads properly anymore?
I've asked to be banned
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Daz Buckley wrote:
Its just as disingenuous to claim powers you don't have as a mentalist.

I totally agree. For me it's a moral issue. If you know what you are doing it accomplished through trickery, and you create the impression you are not using trickery, but actually have some sort of powers, that is dishonest. The term used to describe what you do, psychic, mentalist or other, does not matter in my mind.

For this reason, I now tell everyone I perform for that what I do is not real, but an illusion. Some people will still believe it's real, but I have told the truth and feel good about it.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.d......vSB=true

THIS IS THE PERFECT NIGHT VISION SPY CAMERA HIDDEN IN A KEYFOB
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
IAIN Thankyou sooooooo much for reading the opening post and totally understanding where I was coming from!!!yeah
This is not an expose of working mentalists and/or psychics of which I have been one for several decades.
The commercial mentalist/ psychic makes it clear that they are revealing a skill, yes?
The supposed genuine psychic(and I have no problems in accepting they exist) are a slightly different bag, and that's okay.
I personally don't even have a problem with the trickster who takes lots of 5 dollar notes here and there. I think they rock and I hope they get rich by showing us they're fantastic street skills.
But THIS is different. Here I am talking about someone who takes fees of £250 (approx $330) per chair followed by expensive personal readings. I WANT him! So if you can help (thanks to mindpunisher for the PM) then that would be great but let's not find an argument when there isn't one. We are all pretty clued up guys in here yeah?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2016, bobser wrote:
We are all pretty clued up guys in here yeah?

no comment.
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I find it really hard to believe people still fall for the old trumpet blowing nowadays. I guess cost of fees are irrelevant to a degree as he must attract those that can afford these prices? Or are some people desperate enough to go broke for a reading?
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
How much do the top guys in New York charge for a reading ?
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Brehaut,

I've seen rates for private readings / cleansings / etc range from $10-$10,000 for the same work. Across all of the united states (including NYC)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » To catch a con (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL