The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What to do when someone published one of your effects... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
Sorry for the long message...

So I'm at an impasse and I'm not sure what to do. I have been doing magic for a long time and and I have created and released many effects. The problem is, I have never released anything with a major dealer. I have always self-released. Over the years as well as more recently I have discovered several well known magicians that have released effects that are similar or identical to mine in both method and/or gimmick. I have brushed a few off and just let it go. But there are two effects in question, one just recently released and the other released a couple years ago which are the same effect as mine.

So what do you guys suggest I do? Obviously, I don't want to keep allowing my effects to be sold by other magicians, that just makes no sense. If it was just one or two that would be fine but it seems to be becoming a trend now. I don't want to have any bad relations with anybody moving forward, I may need to work with some of these guys in the future. Especially, since I am also gearing up to release some items professionally.

On a side note.. When I released one of my DVDs I had a trick on there that was based off a Lee Asher effect. The premise was similar, but the method was different and I added things to the effect changing the effect entirely making it unique. But Asher didn't think it was unique enough and demanded that I remove it. Out of respect, I did, even though it was different enough to move forward. So I am faced with sort of the same situation here. But in both of my effects, one is the exact same effect same but uses a slightly different handling to get from start to finish. In fact, because of this recent release, it ruins my plans of re-releasing it which I was I was currently working on. And the other effect is identical in every way down to the gimmick.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi. Where do you sell these releases? I went to what you have as your website and it is a youtube channel. I don't see anything for sale there.
KJ
BrianMel
View Profile
New user
Chicago
92 Posts

Profile of BrianMel
I removed the website link from the café because I am currently in the process of redesigning my website. I took a little break in magic to build up my PC business, so my website is very outdated and still has videos from when I was in my late teens/early 20's. But to answer your question. The old website is still active at: www.InventiveMagic.com

I should add that it's completely understandable that magicians stumble upon effects indepently as I have many times only to find out they have already been invented. Which has been the case with things I have already published as well, despite my best research.

So, I just wanted to find out what my options were.

Thanks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you like my videos!

email: inventivemagic@gmail.com
YT: www.youtube.com/InventiveMagic
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/inventivemagic
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BrianAMelchiorre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What to do when someone published one of your effects... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL