The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » DECEASED by Jamie Daws (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
KOnO, I really hope you enjoy it! It accompanies Scream really well!

Ive only got a handful of refill packs available but I have some more being printed as we speak!

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1904 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I was thinking about leaving my backs blank as well... but another thing that has bothered me is - this is not a living and dead test, this is a "do as I do" trick - but in this trick - you as the magician make the prediction AND you also are responsible for 50% of the reveal.

In other words, I predict which cards will be "picked" and I make sure 50% of the prediction comes true. I think a routine where the spectator picks BOTH Killers would have a higher impact.

Or have all the cards blank and face down at the beginning and the spectator makes BOTH selection predictions unseen and THEN go through the trick as Alakazam dictates. Then the magician can participate in the effect "as a a spectator"
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
pawel
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of pawel
Jamie - can you shed some light on the next Dark Series effect? When would it be available? What's it about?
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey Pawel,

So were just in the process of bringing some of the future releases to you very soon! I don't have an exact date yet but as soon as I have more information, I will post it here first! Smile

Jamie Daws
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Pants got tighter......cuz of the pocket space you bunch of dirty minded folk.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I'm "Screaming" with excitement.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Ha ha! So I had a meeting with the guys at Alakazam today! It's all starting to come together. If all goes well, you might be in for an extra treat from #thedarkseries mwhahahaha!

Jamie Daws
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
You should know by now that we love dark surprises...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1904 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Deceased
Creator: Jamie Dawes
Publisher: Alakazam
MSRP: $ 27
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 20 minutes

Type of effect: "Do As I do" card trick

Manufacturer's Write Up:

An exploration of what is humanly possible. A separation of the living and the dead.

A chance for your spectators to experience something they have not nor will ever experience again.

At 8PM 10 people sat down to dinner, by 10PM 8 of them were dead.

Each guest murdered by two sadistic serial killers in one of the most disturbing cases of cannibalism ever reported.

As you explain this horrific story, an envelope is handed to your spectator to hold. Next, 10 photos are introduced. It is explained that the killers are lost amongst the victims and it is down to your spectator to separate the living from the dead. 5 photos are handed to your spectator and 5 are kept by the performer. The spectator is instructed to hold the photos behind their back and slide one photo from the top to the bottom. They must keep doing this until they get a feeling, whatever feeling that may be.

Once they are satisfied, they are to remove the top photo and hold it behind their back being sure never to let go of it. The performer does the exact same behind his back. The remaining photos are exchanged between the performer and spectator. She is then instructed to place her photo in so that it is faced the opposite way to the other pictures and to mix them. Again, the performer also does this. Both stacks of photos are brought out and both the performer and spectator have one single photo turned, sight unseen the other way.

The envelope is brought back into play and the spectator tips out what is inside. Two photos that of a man and a woman. The killers. And although the spectator did not let go of their selection for a single second, and they have an undeniable account of what has happened, they slide their selection from their stack of photos and reveal it to be the same killer found in the envelope. The performer then does the same and is found to have selected the second killer.

But if all of this is true, then we would need evidence that those in the envelope really were the killers. At this time, the photos from the envelope are turned over to reveal the words KILLER scratched in blood red on the back of them. And every other photo? They have DEAD etched in blood on the back of them. Everything is examinable and the reset is instant.

This is the deceased.

How accurate is the ad copy? The backs are in fact blank, so that you can include whatever you want.

What's in the box? Comes Complete with old looking Photographs (printed on thick card stock) , Plus the Photographs are supplied blank on the back so you can write whatever you desire. You will also get a black Envelope & Full Instructional DVD

Key points: no gaffs or anything to find, it can all be examined, no stooge work and nothing written down. This is a very easy trick

How are the production values: Alakazam makes great videos, everything is well shot and well mic'd. Much like other Alakazam videos in your collection,

Is it well made: The photographs are on quality board stiff card stock - these will last you a long time

Is it well taught: Yes, every nuance is explored and all is explained very well.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked that this took a classic card trick (What a Turn Up from Kaymar Magic) and gave it a spooky twist.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" this is a packet trick of 12 cards and an envelope easily carried in a pocket.

Does it "play big?" Haunted effects can play super big with the right story

Difficulty / Skill level required: as presented this is a very simple routine. You will learn Jamie's handling right away. No skill or sleights involved. In fact this will work better - the better story you tell.

How much arts and crafts are involved? zero (although my envelope had come undone in the mail but a little DS tape fixed it right up)

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Totally, this would be great for Halloween or if your magic character had a more spooky slant.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

I think one of the strengths of this effect is that the cards are NOT gaffed or written on so in truth this trick can become stronger in your hands with your own presentation.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HMnxeM9vo
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
philipsw
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of philipsw
Thanks for another great review David. I wish I'd read this thread before I wrote mine - since I now see the background to where the effect came from. Anyway, I think it is a super idea and a very clean effect which, if performed with a good presentation ought to have a powerful impact on your audience. I also think that with some creativity you could easily tweak the presentation style - and that the subtleties Jamie has introduced to the original method really strengthen it. You can read my full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2016/09/1......-review/
http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
328 Posts

Profile of gibby357
So, I bought this effect because the trailer showed both Jamie and Dave Loosely putting the pictures behind their back and then taking them from behind their backs and displaying them for the reveal. I am stunned that nobody else has mentioned how deceitful that trailer is. All of us who have purchased this know that that is not the procedure for the effect. Since everyone is giving such rave reviews, and since I have already shelled out my money for it, I will give it a go. However, I can't help but be disappointed by that. And again, I am shocked nobody else has mentioned this in 4 pages full of posts.

Leo
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey Leo! I'm sorry to hear you thought the trailer was deceitful! As with any effect like this in which the method is procedure and not a gimmick, it's very hard to protect the secret during a trailer. Had we have shown the effect in its entirety, it would have very much tipped the method. However, we were very clear in the ad copy as to what happens. If you read the ad copy, it clearly states exactly what happens in terms of the exchange of packets etc. Either way, I hope you're enjoying it and are finding it useful. That being said, there are slightly more "gimmicks" methods for this around that require less procedure that you might enjoy!

Thank you all for the reviews and I hope you're all still enjoying this! As always any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask!

As it's the run up to Halloween, I have some exciting news in the next week in regards to #thedarkseries

And as a bonus, for anyone who purchases The Deceased from now until Halloween will received a streaming video of the first horror effect I created. It's a very simple trick but incredibly eerie and unsettling! It will also come with the artwork needed to perform it!

Look foreword to telling you all about number 2 in the dark series next week!!

http://jamiedaws.co.uk/jamiedaws/thedeceased.html

Jamie Daws
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I'm so excited (saved by the Bell jesse voice)
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Received DECEASED in time for our new Halloween Show.

Great effect

Thanks Jamie

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Ziga
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ziga
Hi Jamie,
I've purchased Deceased on 28 August but nothing never arrived.
I sent you an email to the adress on your site, explaining the issue, 11 days ago, but still no answer.
Could you check your inbox and reply please?

Thanks in advance Smile

Simone Bisagno (Italy)
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey Simone! Sorry for the issues! I've had the worse year EVER with shipping! It's caused me and my customers nothing but hassle! I've always used Royal Mail because they're normally reliable and affordable meaning for my USA customers, I normally pay the majority of the shipping costs to make it affordable! However, because of the privatisation of the company, we no longer have many physical post offices. They're normally just desks in corner shops! I've looked into other couriers but it would push the price up considerably. So I'm going to try and send everything recorded delivery from now on to somewhat guarantee it's delivery. It really has been shocking and it upsets me as a creator because there's nothing I want more than for people to own these effects and enjoy them as much as me!! I'll send you a PM now and sort this out asap for you good sir.

Jamie Daws
Ziga
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ziga
Just wanted to say in public, that Jamie already handled the issue like the professionist we all know he is Smile
Thanks again, can't wait this to arrive, Ciao!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Here is one of my takes on this routine..... I don't use an envelope because it isn't needed, but you can if you like... That would give you two endings much like a magic trick, which isn't what I would want.

I would have the sitter mix all the photos behind their back and then place the packet onto the table face upward. Reaching over, you spread the photos all over the table top. Do not be neat when doing this. Ask the sitter to help also if that is what you like. So you end up with a mix face up stack of photos spread out on the table top in a messy display.......

....As you weave your biazzre story, remove a locket with chain and tell the haunting story of its owner. The locket had belonged to one of the victims. Show the sitter how to use it as a pendulum........ having the sitter using the makeshift pendulum, they set out to find out what the pendulum will reveal. Surprisingly the pendulum locates two photos, one man, the other a woman.....

Instruct the sitter to hold their hands outward with thier palms facing uppward. Picking up the two pendulum selected photos, you place them face up, one on each of the sitters palm .... Now place your open palm down on thiers and give a short reading ....When finished with the reading, you then turn the tabled photos face down reaveling the word dead on each photo...... Reaching over, you now turn the sitters photos over in thier palms. On the backs of these two photos there are blood red handprints...

IF You WANT to use an Envelope......... Get to the part where the sitter has a face up photo on thier palms and then remove the two photos from the envelope and show that they match the ones on the sitters hands. Place these photos with its mate on the hands of the sitter........ Explain to the sitter what these two people did to the others that night. The sitter reacts because one of the victims locket (pendulum) has selected the same photos that was in the envelope.

Now slowly reach over and turn the tabled photos face down one at a time reveling the word dead on each...... The sitter then turns over all four of their photos showing blank backs for surprise number two.

I think having an envelope adds clutter.

Ray
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
419 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
Ray, thank you for sharing your idea
I need to remember to read again your post when I will have the props in my hand ,it will be easier to follow your routine and to compare it with the original but I really like the sound of it.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Thank you Ziga!

Ray that's a really nice presentation!! I love it!

If you're putting together a spooky evening, using this effect with SCREAM the second in the Dark Series works really well!

So change the story a little bit. Set up your DECEASED cards a little differently. Place on the back of the lady (Mistress) and the man (Husband). Instead of Killers. One the back of the rest of the pictures just write (Never Found)

So place the deceased photos inside the SCREAM envelope with the letter. Perform SCREAM using the patter I have provided. Get them to take the letter. Wait for them to SCREAM! Then pull out of the DECEASED photos. Tell them the police were looking for susannah but never found her. 10 people vanished but the police couldn't find Susannahs husband or his mistress. Now perform DECEASED. However at the end they have found susannah husband and his mistress. Everyone else was never found.

Just a nice way to tie them both in together! Smile

Jamie Daws
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » DECEASED by Jamie Daws (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL