The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "Panacea Stack" - A new algorithmic memorized deck system (maybe...) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
IF YOU ONLY HAVE A MINUTE, READ THIS:

Several months ago I developed an algorithmic stack. It allows you to know the position of any card (and vice versa) AS WELL AS acting as a cyclical stack. I feel that it has some great things to offer those who have struggled learning other systems. Before sharing it more widely with the community I'd really love to get some feedback from members of the forum who are knowledgeable in stacks and mem-decks. I respect our craft/art enough not to merely rehash other's work so if this system already exists I'll get the pleasure of knowing that I'm in good company through independent invention.

If you're interested, please shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send over the write-up. All I ask is that you give me your opinion on the system and identify whether or not it's something that you've seen before.

IF YOU HAVE A FEW MINUTES, HERE'S THE FULL STORY:

The "Panacea Stack" is probably best described has a hybrid of Coffrin's "Si Stebbins", Osterlind's "BCS", and Richardson's "Lazy Magician's Memorized Deck". It allows you to identify the position of any card, as well as the card at any position, in the deck. Furthermore it functions as a cyclical stack. In it's basic form it easily passes as a thoroughly shuffled deck during casual inspection - but you can "enhance" the stack with a slight adjustment and it could surpass the closest scrutiny.

**ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING FEATURES OF THE STACK:The stack is constructed upon a set of "keys". As long as you can effective manage these "keys" you can place them in ANY sequence that you want. As strange as it sounds, this means that there over 6.2 BILLION permutations to the basic "Panacea Stack" that require only one slight mental adjustment. The system is literally a malleable chameleon that you can make your own.**

I created this system after my friend Atlas Brookings shared with me his (and Raven Gairloch's) take on an algorithmic stack - "The Solution".

Let me go on the record now as stating that "The Solution" is a BRILLIANT creation. I can absolutely appreciate the thinking that went into it - but for me, it just didn't "click". I loved the idea of a rule-based system being applied to a memorized deck but challenged myself to come up with something that was more "me".

Now I'll say upfront that while I (emphasis on "I") believe the "Panacea Stack" is "the easiest, fastest, most efficient memorized deck ever" (apologize for stealing your ad copy Atlas and Raven!) YOU MIGHT COMPLETELY DISAGREE - AND THAT'S OKAY!

For some, brute memorization fits that bill. For others, "The Solution" (or other systems) will meet their needs. The point of all this is to find WHATEVER allows you to entertain and mystify your audiences with the wonderful world of memorized deck work.

As I mentioned at the top of this post, before sharing this stack more broadly with the community I'd like to make sure that I'm not simply rehashing someone else's work. I've never seen anything exactly like it before but I'm also not the most knowledgeable guy in the room about such things. I work strictly as a mentalist but I have an extensive background in card technique (not so much though with stacks). This doesn't boast the in-built effects inherent in other mem-decks like Aronson's or Tamariz' but for the card plots I'd use - it works like a charm!

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED AND FEEL QUALIFIED TO BE ABLE TO LET ME KNOW IF THIS EXISTS ELSEWHERE shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send over the write up.

THE ELEPHANT(S) IN THE ROOM: First off, I'm in NO way trying to steal the thunder from "The Solution" (or any other system for that matter). My only motivation for possibly sharing this stack is to offer yet another alternative to those trying to get over the proverbial "hump" related to mem-decks. This system is MY "panacea" but it may not be yours.

Secondly, I know AND APPRECIATE that many of you have opposing opinions concerning the use of algorithmic stacks. The thread on "The Solution" has quite eloquently documented many of those perspectives. In hopes of building bridges, allow me to share the final piece of advice that I offer in the write up on the "Panacea Stack":

"MY FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE:

JUST COMMIT THE STACK TO MEMORY.

Yep - after spending nearly nine pages explaining the rules of this stack I'm closing this document by advising you to simply put in the work to memorize it.

Why?

Because once the stack is in your memory you'll magically "JUST KNOW" which card is at a given position and vice versa. You won't have to jump through any mental hoops (as simple as they are) in order to ascertain the needed information.

I hope that you use this stack AS A GATEWAY into memorized deck work - it wasn't meant to be a destination. I always knew that brute memory was the way to go but felt a bit overwhelmed by the prospect. The "Panacea Stack" has allowed me to warm up to the idea (and work) necessary to get there.

With this system you can always revert back to the rules if your memory falters in the heat of performance (or simply to double-check yourself) but if you really want to move into advanced memorized deck techniques and effects you'll want to know the stack COLD.

Life's like that - the longest roads often provide the best scenery!"

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
For those interested, I've attached a picture of the stack so you can get a feel for how it looks.

Full disclosure: this is an "enhanced" permutation (one of the 6.2 billion!). The basic system would be sufficient for normal viewing, but I've decided to go with an "enhanced" version for prolonged viewing here Smile

Best,

Drew

Click here to view attached image.
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Just wanted to thank all those who have reached out to me to look this over and provide feedback!

I've sent the document to a number of forum members (many with extensive knowledge of stacks) and so far everyone seems to agree that while this bears resemblance to a few existing stacks, this is a unique system. The common feedback is that it's SUPER simple to convert a card to a position but a bit more difficult to go the other way.

The system does have a number of "interlocking parts" but once the relationships are understood it's quite quick to arrive at the information. Many have said that while it's a little more head work than some other stacks the "randomness" of the deck is quite nice.

Best,

Drew

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "Panacea Stack" - A new algorithmic memorized deck system (maybe...) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL