The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Dave Bonsall's PropDog (UK) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
One of the easiest sites to navigate. Fresh, modern, very easy to find what you're after (and stumble on some great stuff you've perhaps not thought of). Everything well illustrated. Email enquiries answered very, very quickly & orders dispatched equally fast! Brick & Mortar shop too - for those in the area. Exactly what I like (and want) when looking for new effects.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
TheRedFez
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TheRedFez
I find that the prices are often much lower than competitors as well. Being in the US, I don't have to pay VAT, and that results in some serious savings.
tommymcc84
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tommymcc84
Totally agree. Stumbled upon the website recently and you're absolutely right: it's the perfect mix of being able to find what you want quickly but offering just enough to distract your attention to something else cool! I think I might be on it quite a bit in the run up to Christmas.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Highly recommend dropping into his store if you live or visit the UK. I was travelling through London and spent a couple hours in his store. You're welcome to test out props and play DVDs he sells if you wish. Very friendly guy too.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Yes, the customer service I've received from PropDog has been very personable, even excellent.
They made a mistake with some orders I put in towards the end of last summer but recified them immediately I informed them in an incredibly decent way.
One gets the impression they really value their customers and they know much of what they sell incredibly well. And, of course, they sell a wide array of those beautiful JOL wallets, quite a number of which I've bought.
Highly recommended.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Great stuff that no one else has. Love PropDog.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
PropDog is awesome!

A couple years ago I purchased a Ring Flight Revolution from a third party seller and found it didn't work correctly. I was unsure if the 2 year warranty was still valid but I decided to contact PropDog. The person I talk to was very nice and helpful and eventually he/she told me to send it in and they will fix it for free. A couple weeks later I received what looked like a brand new Ring Flight.

Just yesterday I received a JOL Plus Wallet from Penguin Magic. I opened the sealed package and found a different wallet in the correct box. I contacted both Penguin and PropDog and PropDog immediately emailed me back with an offer to send me the correct wallet and for my trouble they would let me keep the other wallet. Who does that these days.

Even though PropDog is across the pond, I will be ordering from them from now on. Quality customer service and magic. You can't ask for a better magic shop.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I have purchased from PropDog as well, and not only they were very fast regarding shipping but Dave (and his team) is very responsive and helpful. Only trouble is the catalogue : there is much less choice of items than in many other shops. Sometimes I purchase elsewhere because PropDog doesn't have it.
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2018, mh1001 wrote:
I have purchased from PropDog as well, and not only they were very fast regarding shipping but Dave (and his team) is very responsive and helpful. Only trouble is the catalogue : there is much less choice of items than in many other shops. Sometimes I purchase elsewhere because PropDog doesn't have it.

Thanks for the kind comments! The reason we don’t have as much stock as other shops, is because we are only advertising our website, the items that we physically hold in stock in the shop (around 4000 products).

When you visit other websites that apparently have 20,000 products in stock, they do not physically have these, when you order a product from them, they are just advertising what supplier holds, they then order your product in from that supplier. Hence why we deliver next day and others take a week or so.

If you ever see a product that you want and we don’t have it, just ask us, we’ll get it in within a few days.

Regards

Dave
micwize
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of micwize
Can highly recommend Propdog and Dave!
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Highly recommended indeed!
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Probably the best magic supplier ever - yes-even better than Tannens.. Smile
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Https://www.propdog.co.uk/

Wow! I like this place...

Doug
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
PropDog is a great magic shop! They stock really useful items, not a lot of junk that ends up in the magic junk drawer.

I have one little complaint: I think they give away too much on their YouTube channel. The videos are very informative (for magicians!) but are way too much information for public videos that anyone can access on YouTube. As Michael Weber and Ricky Jay used to say: "that's arcane knowledge on a need-to-know basis" ... and non-magicians do not need to know about much that is openly shown on PropDog's Youtube channel. It's SO EASY to mark videos on YouTube as Unlisted so the vids don't show up in a general search on YouTube. The videos that are marked as Unlisted on YouTube can still be embedded on PropDog's own website and blog for the purposes of providing information to their customers who are on the PropDog website looking for information about the items they sell.

-----

Not to pick on PropDog only ... other magic dealers are also not always very careful about posting certain information on YouTube, even if they don't expose the trick as such. But when they title their video something like "M_ _ ror Box" ... well duh, I wonder how it works ? But it would be just as easy to title the video "Marvelous Production Box" or something like that . An experienced magician watching the video demo would probably know right from the start if he's looking at a m _ _ ror box principle or bl_ _ k _rt principle , or what have you. Those who don't need to know can watch the demo and be (hopefully) entertained by it , without being told up front the principle being employed. Other examples of are videos selling Sanada thingies and TT's , which openly show the gimmick and the title of the video is the name of the gimmick. Why not do a legit demo of a few of the many effects that can be accomplished with one of these items , and then mention in the video "and many more effects are possible using this device" , "one of the best bargains in magic". The titles of the video can be describing the effects, not the device: "Color Changing Ball", "Amazing Color Changing Handkerchief" or "Vanishing and Reappearing Salt" , along with demo'ing a few other basic effects that can be done. There's just no reason to openly expose what the device is. It devalues it.

Same thing when magicians title their videos by the commercial name of the effect. "Magician Chuck Nuggins performs the Z_mbie Floating Ball" just gives people the lead they need to look up how it's done. Think about it. "Chuck Nuggins performs the Mysterious Silver Orb" works just as well as a video title and doesn't drop any bread crumbs to follow to find out how it's done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Dave Bonsall's PropDog (UK) (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL