The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ultramodern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Now let me see, where can I find all new effects from Robin Robertson, Martin Lewis, Paul Hallas, Marty Kane, Jozsef Kovacs, Steve Dusheck, John Carey, Al Bach, Ryan Matney, Peter Duffie, John Bannon, Gordon Bean?

Oh yeah, Ryan Matney's new book, "Ultramodern". Did I see Steve Dushek's name there? Yes I did. With these names attached it HAS to be a winner. looking forward to my copy! Smile

http://retrorocketmagic.com/

Smile
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I purchased this from Retrorocketmagic 12 days ago and have never heard anything from them. There is no contact info on their web page. Does anyone know if the book is even available yet or how to get in touch with someone from Retrorocketmagic?

Thank you

Rudy
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
I would be interested. But will wait for Rudy's feedback. On the logistics part, I mean.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Ryan contacted me through an e-mail. All is in order. Book will arrive very soon.

Thank you Ryan.

Rudy
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Buyer Beware - - - - -

Never received my book from Ryan Matney at Retro Rocket Magic. It's been 21 days.

Won't answer e-mail's either.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Ryan you need to get on the ball buddy. You are losing sales.

Good magic to all,

Eric
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Ryan has managed to invoke a sense of nostalgia in me with this publication. In the days of one trick downloads, and ebooks, that you can purchase instantly, with nothing more than your Paypal password, it feels good to hold a physical product in your hand. Something that you know will contain good solid commercial magic, and not a heavily edited trailer in sight.

In releasing this publication I believe Ryan hoped to capture the spirit of the magazines and trick journals of days past along with the anticipation of waiting to receive them in the mail. Lots have come and gone that I remember, Onyx, Channel One, Antinomy, Penumbra to name a handful. They all had one thing in common good solid magic from well respected magicians and you always looked forward to receiving the next issue to get that trick fix.

In current times lots of magicians are now experimenting with the self-publishing format, and it is something that works very well for this type of booklet. You receive a smart, well printed 100 page booklet containing 12 tricks. Ryan introduces each trick and they all contain black and white photographic illustrations.

To simply list the tricks would lessen the anticipation if you intend to order this, and you should. I will point out a few of my favourites however, the volume starts with Robin Robertson’s very simple quick version of the fusion plot, one of my favourite card magic plots. Staying with the simple in the spectators hands card magic, Paul Hallas’s contribution Voodoo Jokers is a version of a Steranko/Hollingworth classic. Paul has distilled this into its simplest form and it may get dismissed for its simplicity, but I can see this playing very strongly.

Steve Dusheck contributes a very commercial time-travel themed piece ideal for giving away your business card. John Carey in his usual style of simplifying method contributes a novel and easy two deck ACAAN.

Ryan himself contributes a a coincidence effect utilising a powerful Paul Cummins technique. I am a huge John Bannon fan so I read his contribution first which is an Any Mate at Any Number routine based on a JK Hartman trick, and as you would expect from Bannon you get a lot of effect for minimal sleight of hand. The last trick in the book from Gordon Bean is a version of one of Ryan’s tricks. It is a very strange, freely selected card through box routine, that again takes place in the spectators hands. It has a kicker ending they won’t see coming, and on top of all that works very well for walk-around as it doesn’t require a table.

The other tricks I haven't mentioned I will leave you to read and digest, you should have at least some anticipation and excitement to receiving a book in the mail! I believe Ryan’s wish is to make this a regular publication and he is already soliciting contributions for volume 2, so seek him out if you have material to give. If not buy this volume and every volume after that safe in the knowledge you are receiving good solid magic, a well produced physical product, and a little bit of anticipation and excitement as you wait for it to arrive!

http://magician.org.uk/2016/03/ultramode......-review/
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Of course, I'm curious about this:

"Ryan himself contributes a a coincidence effect utilising a powerful Paul Cummins technique."

But, as someone stated above, there's no contact info on the site... Can anyone help me with Ryan's email address?

Thanks,

Paul
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Hi Paul

Good to hear from you, hope you are ok?

Basically it is a neat coincidence trick utilising your production cut from Counting on It. Ryan gives you full credits.

His email is retrorocketmagic@gmail.com or you can find him on facebook.

Cheers.

Rich.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I have received the book Ultramodern from Ryan today.

Looking forward to some good reading.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Looks like Vol 2 has released and Vol 3 is on the way. But seems Vol 3 is only through Kickstarter which is not something we see often in our community.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/113......rd-trick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ultramodern (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL