The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cody Fisher Presents - Lightning - The Comedy Wrist Tie Escape! By Peter The Adequate (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of silksock
Looking forward to it. Thanks for letting us know they've shipped.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Any reviews of this yet?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I just finished watching the Lightning Wrist Tie DVD. I must note this is an incomplete review as I have not had a chance to practice or perform this routine for more complete feedback. The routine is very clever, easily adaptable to your humor level and seems to work very cleanly with any aged audience. The spectator is very involved and in fact validates the tying procedure on themselves first. I don't believe that I am giving anything away in that it combines a simple cut & restored rope as a warm up to the escape. The scripting is very smooth and every detail presented cleanly with multiple angles for clarity. Other than a length of rope and scissors, there is no real setup involved. Cody and Peter note this routine can be performed in pretty much any performance environment and I don't see any reason to question that. I believe this is something I will use and find it money well spent. Cody continues to set the bar high and has not let me down yet.

Dan.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4234 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, Amazing Magic Co wrote:

...seems to work very cleanly with any aged audience.

Does this mean it should only be performed for old people? Smile
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2368 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Our stock has arrived with us in the UK and all pre-orders will ship today.

If you order today before 3pm UK time we will ship today, after then and we are on our way to Blackpool convention and will not be able to post until Monday.

Saturn Magic has the UK exclusive for this item, order now before what is left is packed for Blackpool!

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......ate.html
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
After some thought I decided to take the plunge and pre-order from Saturn and it arrived today.

So what do you get in your package? You receive a 33-minute long DVD in a cardboard slip case. I know most magicians will have plenty of rope but when I order something I like to have everything I need in the package and for completeness I would've liked to have received a length of rope.

Also on the DVD is a bonus PDF of Cody's routine.

Since all you receive is a video file plus a PDF I don't feel the DVD is completely necessary. Like many people my only DVD player is my laptop so a download version would've been fine for me. I'm also all for reducing the amount of waste we produce and having a download would have saved on shipping a bunch of DVDs across the pond from the USA to the UK and saved on materials to make the DVDs and cardboard cases. But that's just me being an eco nut.

The content of the DVD is perfectly adequate for learning the routine. You get a full-length performance of Peter's routine plus the explanation. He even goes in to the basic handling of the cut and restored rope he uses, although I'm sure many will know it or a version of it already. The tuition of the tie is thorough and they go through it a couple of times.

The escape it self looks great. It's super fast and extremely visual. However, if you are new to performing I don't think this is for you right now. This is a professional routine and although the method is easy I wouldn't recommend a novice going out and trying this without first getting some experience under their belt of working in front of different audiences. As with any escape audience management and having the ability to keep potential dead spots alive are a must. Remember that this isn't a magic trick per se, it is an escape routine and the two are different in what they require from the performer. Plus, under the pressures of performing and the fact this is an actual escape it could also go very wrong and there is a small but very real chance you could get stuck.

The real question is; will I use it?

And my honest answer is, maybe.

I'm always torn when it comes to mixing escapes and magic, especially within the same routine. This, like all rope escapes, relies on the audience believing the rope to be genuine (which it 100% is). But I worry that they've just seen this same rope get cut and then magically restored before being placed on the wrists and used to tie you up. Now this may be the purist escapologist in me trying to (excuse the pun) break out, but it is something that people should consider before hitting that buy button.

If you were to agree that rope magic and rope escapes shouldn't be mixed then the other problem is that this escape benefits heavily from having something going on before the escape part. So if I were to use this, then it wouldn't be a simple case of just lifting the escape section out and performing that as a stand-alone piece. I would need to replace the cut and restored section with something else. Quite what that is I don't know yet.

I know this may read as a negative review, but overall I'm honestly very happy with my purchase. The problems I have with this routine are personal to me and I knew these issues would moist likely arise before I hit the pre-order button. I'm sure that many here will be happy to use this straight out the box exactly as it is presented by Peter. For me though, it's going to take some work to find the right routine that suits my show.

And so to round up, I highly recommend this product if you are the right performer to be able to pull it off.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Roslyn that is a great & honest review that's obviously from someone who knows what he is talking about & has experince in the entertainment business.

I applaud you for that.

That is maybe why Cody uses it with card in wallet.

Have you read the PDF yet & if so how does this play ?

Mike Donoghue
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Mike,

I've read Cody's version of the routine and I really like it.

However, I believe it is even more suited to the experienced performer than Peter's version. There is a lot more covert activity going on, and you've still got the escape to worry about on top of that.

The advantages of this version is that it does remove the issue of the rope possibly appearing 'tricky' to the audience as its not used for anything other than the escape. But it's still not right for me.

My issue with this version is the fact that the escape feels almost secondary to the card trick. Where as with the original routine the cut and restored rope performed at the beginning of the routine is designed to establish the performer and help make the on stage volunteers feel more at ease, all without pulling focus on the main event. The easiest way to think about it is that in the original routine the c&r rope is the warm up act and the escape is the star. Where as in Cody's version the card trick feels like the main event and the escape is reduced to a little flourish half way through.

Please don't take the above as me saying its bad. It isn't. But I personally have plenty of card tricks in my show already (none of them are card to wallet) and I don't need another one. Plus I think the wrist tie is a strong effect and it deserves to have its own place in the show rather than becoming a little bit of flash in the middle of something else. However, if you do a card to wallet already then you might like adding in the escape as it helps to make what is essentially a close-up trick in to something much bigger. And all you have to add is a piece of rope. Plus, as those who have bought Cody's stuff in the past will know, the scripting is tight. In fact, you wouldn't have to use card to wallet. You could do almost any card trick and Cody's script would work with only a few minor tweaks.

It's a shame that there isn't a performance of Cody doing this as seeing it live might be better than reading it off the page. After all, the written word can be interpreted in different ways by different people and my interpretation may be totally different to what it actually looks like.

Something I didn't say before is that both Peter's original and Cody's variation could be used as stand alone effects. So if you were working a cabaret and needed to fill a 10-minute spot either of these routine would be perfect. I also think they could be condensed and used by comperes. They are also great middle routines for the solo performer.

Hope this helps.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Thanks Roslyn,

that's brilliant.

I do a card to wallet so that may be the way to go.

However, I also do cut & restored (one of the many Aldo Colombini versions. He was fantatic & a big miss to the magic world)routine in my stand up act so I am sure I will be able to use it.

Everything I perform has my own tweaks & changes in it, so I think I may go for this & I am sure that with a little work I can fit it in & have an entertaining addition to use.

Thanks for you feedback on this effect.

Mike Donoghue
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1173 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Great insight guys...appreciate all the thoughts that have gone into everyone's comments. Roslyn was spot on in his statements by saying that Peter's version focuses more on the escape while my version focuses a little more on the card to wallet kicker. We both have different reasons for structuring our routines the way we did. I think that no matter how you play it, both versions can be tweaked to suit your performing style.

Also, there is no reason why you couldn't start off with a cut and restored rope bit that leads into the wrist tie and still do the card to wallet ending...there really are tons of options...

Thanks guys!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2368 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
3 of us sat down and watched this properly yesterday as it only arrived with us a day before Blackpool convention.

All of us agreed we would be putting this in our shows.

First of all it uses a couple in the routine and has built in humour starting with a very easy cut and restored rope sequence which will connect well with the audience.

The wrist tie follows on from this and it is very very easy to do.

As has been mentioned this is not an in and out tie type routine this is an escape, but I suspect most people watching will remember not only the escape but also the fun you had with the 2 spectators.

This is the main reason this appealed to us all when we watched this and as a bonus it just uses a length of rope and some scissors.

After we watched this we did say you could go into Cody's 3 ropes routine using the same rope if you wished.

There is also no reason why you could not do this close-up if you wished, there are no bad angles etc so you really can do this anywhere.

After Tom watched this he said he's going to do this after Cody's Comedy Book Test, inviting up the girl who had the 52 shades book and her partner to tie him up.

He wondered if there would be enough room inside a hollowed out version of the book to get the rope in as a way of introducing it.

You can probably guess I like this and can see the possibilities and potential of this routine, the given presentation an gags will work well with most people and will make it very easy to make the routine fit your style.

For the price it's good value and a well structured routine.

Cody's card to wallet is a bonus on this, I really like the tie routine as it is but it's great you can add another effect into it if you wish.

So if you want to have some fun with 2 spectators in an easy to do routine you should check this out.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cody Fisher Presents - Lightning - The Comedy Wrist Tie Escape! By Peter The Adequate (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL