The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Where to get a Custom-made Costume? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Any suggestions as to where to get a custom-made costume? Someone who's a good tailor/seamstresses and who's also creative enough to design something (based on some general ideas and guidelines I'd provide them).

I'm willing to pay good money (I know this won't be cheap) but I ain't exactly a big-time magician so am hoping for someone who isn't so high-priced it causes my bank account to magically disappear.

I live in the Washington DC/Baltimore area, so if you have a recommendation within a 2 or 3 hour drive of that area, it'd be easier to arrange -- but I suppose I could do it by a distance as long as I got a local tailor to take my measurements.

I am trying to develop my own look -- something not too flashy (not too "Las Vegas-y" . . . . and not a bizarre magick/Renaissance Fair look . . . not a clown look . .. But something a bit colorful and distinctive . . . . Something classy enough to be suitable for a corporate gig but unusual enough so that I look like an entertainer not a corporate businessman.
(If I wanted to dress like a white-collar professional, I would've stayed in my high-paying white-collar professional job instead of dropping out a few years ago!)

Any leads, suggestions appreciated . . . .

Steve Hoffman (aka Steven Stranger)
Takoma Park MD
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Steve,

While I don't have a specific person in mind for your area you may want to explore these ideas. Visit a costume shop or those that cater to the theatrical crowd. Most have a resident seamstress/tailor that can help you develop the look you want.

Another suggestion is to ask your local magic store or magicians in the area for suggestions. One of my dresses was made by a very talented magicians wife whom had sewn numerous costumes for her husband.

Check your local paper, there are lots of talented people that advertise doing this type of work from home. Contact them and discuss what you are looking for. A long time ago I found a stay at home mom that made me a thirties type dress just by asking my friends if they knew of anyone. She made the dress just by my description. Sigh some people have that gift. :O)

Here's another suggestion. Go to a fabric store - as everyone working there sews and is knowlegable about fabric and patterns. There are numerous books that have all sorts of costumes, suits, vest, ect.. Once you find something that you like, bring the book to one of the store employees and they will find the pattern for that particular outfit. The patterns usually cost a few dollars. ( it gives the amount of material needed to buy to make it.) Ask for assistance from one of the store clerks and make sure you buy a little extra for pockets and things you may want. Then it's just a matter of showing up at the seamstress or tailor with your pattern and fabric in hand. (You may want to let them choose the best material instead of doing it yourself.)

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Take a look at this site:
Tuxedo Tails and Other Strange Stuff
Dennis Michael
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I'm fortunate in that both my wife and my mother-in-law are seamstresses, and they run their own business that makes Renaissance style clothing. If you can draw it, pretty much, my MIL can make it. Just go to their website, email them, and she'll talk you through it.

To give you an idea, a friend wanted the same outfit as a character in a fantasy novel that he read (don't ask me, I forget what it is). He had the novel, and the outfit was on the cover. He gave her the book, and she made the outfit for him. He was amazed at how closely it resembled the outfit on the book.

the website is: http://www.woollycat.net

Jeff
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Where to get a Custom-made Costume? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL