The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pop (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2016, mike donoghue wrote:
It's so good I even like doing it on myself ha

Mike Donoghue


Lol.... presuming we are talking about POP - I am the same, I do it over and over it's very visual.
It's just satisfying knowing your audience will experience it too,
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Received this last week and I'm really pleased with it. Haven't quite got the handling down but it's a simple sleight and shouldn't take long. The gimmicks all look good. My only minor quibbles are that I wish there were more prize options including maybe more accessible candy and different unique options. Also, there weren't many scratcher stickers so it can only be performed a limited amount of times before they'll need to be replaced. All in all, very good purchase at a very reasonable price. It's great fun just to do for yourself.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4224 Posts

Profile of videoman
Steve, you ever have any problems with the FR chocolate candy melting in your pocket?
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, videoman wrote:
Steve, you ever have any problems with the FR chocolate candy melting in your pocket?


No never, I keep 6 in my outside jacket pocket and then put in my trouser pocket when ready to perform.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
Received this last week and I'm really pleased with it. Haven't quite got the handling down but it's a simple sleight and shouldn't take long. The gimmicks all look good. My only minor quibbles are that I wish there were more prize options including maybe more accessible candy and different unique options. Also, there weren't many scratcher stickers so it can only be performed a limited amount of times before they'll need to be replaced. All in all, very good purchase at a very reasonable price. It's great fun just to do for yourself.


Thank you first for purchasing the effect and also for the honest review.

The ideas are endless with object we can use, we decided to launch using one type of choc and the mercury card as it really opens up some great routines.
We are going to be taking a poll from people of the type of item they would like, we will then offer additional sticker packs to you can use those with your gimmick.
Ideas so far are coins, keys, sponge ball, 8 ball, folded money
Other candy is a great option and we have to think about what is available to everyones local stores.

Regarding the replacement scratch stickers, they can be found online or ellusionist are offering a replacement pack, which is the whle product again, for a cheaper rate if you already bought one.

Also, in routining, you don't always need scratch panels, the mercury card routine, I don't use them and sometimes, even the choc I don't either.
You still get that visual moment which is the POW! FACTOR of this piece if magic.

For the price, I think you will agree it is great value for what you get in the pack.
TazBo
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
380 Posts

Profile of TazBo
Your 8 ball production leads me to into the routine Obliter8 by Wayne Fox. Just an idea I may try out if I manage to get one of these 8 ball pop cards. Smile
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
I think I might have spoken too soon. In practicing the illusion I couldn't understand why it didn't look as smooth as in the training videos and then I realized that my s*****r colors for the gimmick aren't even remotely close to the printed scratch cards which are clearly grayish blue background with reddish pink swirl detail. The s*****rs are almost reddish background with dull red swirl detail. It completely makes the change jarring because not only the object changes but so does the background. Not that it won't work but it looks much cleaner in the videos. I'll try it on actual people the next few days and see how it plays. Maybe it's just my set but I'm kind of disappointed now that I've realized the discrepancy.
TazBo
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
380 Posts

Profile of TazBo
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, TazBo wrote:
Your 8 ball production leads me to into the routine Obliter8 by Wayne Fox. Just an idea I may try out if I manage to get one of these 8 ball pop cards. Smile


Just an added note:
You could explain that you can pull an 8 ball out from an image and expand it to full size. Hand this out for examination then when you get it back, say that sometimes the 8 ball gets suck between flat and fully expanded and then show them how you can squash it half way and hand that out for examination. I'm sure it will blow their minds. Smile
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
I think I might have spoken too soon. In practicing the illusion I couldn't understand why it didn't look as smooth as in the training videos and then I realized that my s*****r colors for the gimmick aren't even remotely close to the printed scratch cards which are clearly grayish blue background with reddish pink swirl detail. The s*****rs are almost reddish background with dull red swirl detail. It completely makes the change jarring because not only the object changes but so does the background. Not that it won't work but it looks much cleaner in the videos. I'll try it on actual people the next few days and see how it plays. Maybe it's just my set but I'm kind of disappointed now that I've realized the discrepancy.


The slight discrepency is down to the vinyl we use so they are durable and re-useable.
The audience will not see it at all....but of course test and find out for yourself and let me know how it goes.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I used this during a 3 hour period last night.

It's not the scratch card version that I have(but will be getting it).

The routine I did was very basic but it worked & worked well.

I shuffled the cards then I spread them & said I was looking for something.This shows it's just a deck of cards. Then with one hand I set the gimmick & transfered the cards over to my right hand & turned it to show the 8 Ball & said "Oh there it is. Do you know what that is"?

Then I produced the 8 ball from the card & said " can you hold this for me as I can't use the cards with this stuck in them"
The reactions & look on their faces was priceless.

Been producing Billiard balls for years now by various methods & I really like this.

I had thought about vanishing it & slapping it back into the deck( as you get an extra card with a sticker on which unables you to do this but really there is no need.

Very good Steve.

You are on my radar for anything you release.

This is excellent.

Mike Donoghue
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
POP was finally demod live at Blackpool by myself and I have to say the reactions were brilliant.
Everyone that saw it performed, bought one.

Thank you all and feel free to post here what you think of the effect and the reactions you get from your audience.
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
118 Posts

Profile of kevg
I'm a big fan of Steve's work and reserved a copy of POP for delivery after Blackpool as I was unable to make it this year.

Well I just got back from a gig and POP is outstanding! It's always difficult to add something new to your set as if you're like me you default to what you've performed time and time again, but this is soooo easy to perform that it was a no brainer to try out!

In summary:
- Gimmick is great and comes with some customisation options (I've used the chocolate only and prob won't change now to be honest - the women love it!)
- The teaching is great (I must say I've not watched everything yet but the handing is pretty much effortless that I didn't feel I needed to - I am going to revisit it though as I know Steve has added a few good bonuses besides the main effect)
- Skill level is beginner ( The switch is the easiest thing ever and you could be so blatent with no-one batting an eye lid and if you can put your hand on a card and pull it away you can do the production)
- Payoff is incredible, they have no idea what's going on, what your gonna do and no one asks for the card after.


POP is a brilliant piece of TV magic for the working magician or hobbyist which is easy to do, super visual and excellent value for money. Did I mention you can reuse the scratched cards...again no one asks to keep these, why would they?

If you don't have this, you need it! 10/10
----------
Cube Cards // Cube Cards Remixed // Magigotchi // Cube Cards 1221 // Recubed // Pixelated
----------
www.magicwedding.co.uk
www.mindgamemagic.co.uk
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Kevg - thank you so much for taking the time to post this review.

knowing that someone who works in the professional performing world not only invests in my magic but also goes out and uses it and then, to report back such positive praise really makes my day!

So pleased you are liking this, I think a lot of people may suspect this is not workable as it look so good on camera.
What effects out there work equally as well to camera as the real world....not many.

Thanks again!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4224 Posts

Profile of videoman
Not only does it look great in the real world, it's one of those effects where you almost feel guilty with the reactions it gets.
You could do the most incredible sleight of hand in the world, but what they'll remember is the amazing chocolate.
But that's fine with me. If they're happy, I'm happy! Smile

Oh, and there's some very nice bonus stuff you get with it too.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Ha that's very true.

A lot of my magic there is hardly any technical work as I like to rely on character and performance.
The visual on this is enough to have them gobsmacked.

and ye not many know about the bonus effects but there's a sweet marker pen and a card corner to impossible location along with a mercury fold move which I'm told is an original adaptation so I'm pleased it's been documented on POP.

So it's 3 great workable effects + gimmicks, not bad for under $30 Smile
JB Dela Cruz
View Profile
New user
Manila, Philippines
8 Posts

Profile of JB Dela Cruz
Hey steve. Where can I buy refills? Thanks man
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
233 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
It's a nice piece of super visual magic which is easy to perform (you will still need to practice), has a great reset (you don't have to use the scratch cards) and has a real TV magic moment. The card to impossible location which is also on the instructions is great. The filming is good, the instructions clear and it has a menu Smile Yay!
Let the Entertainment Commence!
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Thank you RedHatMagic - realy pleased you like the effect and see it's potential.
Made my day. Smile
Khuluma
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Khuluma
I just worked this yesterday at 2 events. I'm a full time performer and I reckon it's a great little effect. As redhatmagic above said, you don't need to use the scratch cards at all, in fact I reckon they are unecessary and time consuming, however I suppose specs may enjoy it. I just used the gimmick on adults and some kids and it really is super visual when you get the timing right, which is not difficult..
My advice to Steve would be to sell the gimmick on its own, pre-made. I hate craft work and although it's not a big deal, you do get only once chance to get it right with each option I.e. the chocolate and the folded cards. I would also recommend other options which I believe he has already considered, such as a sponge ball. My spongies are in my bottom draw but I would be tempted to get them out and dust them off, if I could produce them with a pop gimmick, and then go onto a sponge ball routine. I reckon Steve Rowe just may retire early on the proceedsof that one!
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2016, Khuluma wrote:
I just worked this yesterday at 2 events. I'm a full time performer and I reckon it's a great little effect. As redhatmagic above said, you don't need to use the scratch cards at all, in fact I reckon they are unecessary and time consuming, however I suppose specs may enjoy it. I just used the gimmick on adults and some kids and it really is super visual when you get the timing right, which is not difficult..
My advice to Steve would be to sell the gimmick on its own, pre-made. I hate craft work and although it's not a big deal, you do get only once chance to get it right with each option I.e. the chocolate and the folded cards. I would also recommend other options which I believe he has already considered, such as a sponge ball. My spongies are in my bottom draw but I would be tempted to get them out and dust them off, if I could produce them with a pop gimmick, and then go onto a sponge ball routine. I reckon Steve Rowe just may retire early on the proceedsof that one!


superb to hear youy enjoying the effect and as you say, I am also performing often by just showing the card now and getting that visual hit.
the stickers should be able to remove carefully to replace which is why we made them vinyl.

Also, sponge ball is on the list, just awaiting production of a number of different options.
and good point about the gimmick I will speak with the team.
thank you again, really good to hear.
S
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pop (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL