The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Booktest - VERY UNIQUE - Feedback? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Morning Smile

I have just launched my first Kickstarter magic/mentalism project, something that I am VERY proud of. If you get a moment would you mind taking a look and if possible, sharing it on facebook?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/154......es-sense

Thank you so much Smile
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
I really like the idea! Your book looks beautiful and just like something you would see at a book store. Obviously everyone can relate to food and many people have an emotional connection to cooking.

From the photos, it appears you are planning to release the book as a paperback. Have you considered making it a hard cover that would hold up longer? 80 pounds is about 115 dollars. For that price it would be nice if the book was hard cover.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Looks cool - where did you source the photos from and who is printing these? Personally soft cover is easier to carry so
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
That is interesting... I've been working on a "recipe" based routine as well but it's quite different from this. I am not sure what revealing a few colors or words means. Why would you not reveal tastes and ingredients? My routine will use a regular recipe book with a hands off force.

Good luck with your Kickstarter!
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
380 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Rising To Any Occasion by Ken Klosterman - 200 copies. Book test using bread recipes. About 30 years ago. Hard Bound padded cover. Mine is #107.

TEB3
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
807 Posts

Profile of roblane
I don't do facebook, Gary. And as it happens, I've never pledged on a kickstarter before but this has changed that
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2683 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2016, TEB3 wrote:
Rising To Any Occasion by Ken Klosterman - 200 copies. Book test using bread recipes. About 30 years ago. Hard Bound padded cover. Mine is #107.

TEB3

and "Soup to Nuts," Bloch's "Recipe Cards" and Mark's "Triple Prediction Book Test" are 3 more cook book book tests. Smile

s
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I don't understand why this is on Kickstarter? You say you're expecting to sell it on your website later anyway. It looks like the book is already written and printed. Isn't Kickstarter about gaining seed funding for a project rather than just selling stuff that's already made?

The reason I ask is that you've put this "Special Magic Book" on a public platform for people to see, and even after the funding period ends, the listing will remain visible on Kickstarter.com - making the mystery discoverable through the power of Google...

Plus, if Kickstarter projects gain public attention, they can go viral on social media. There's a (very slim) chance of this being picked up by Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc and being seen by many many many outsiders who can look at this and come away thinking "Oh, so mind readers use special books, and even odd things like cook books and telephone directories are probably faked". You've taken a big risk by launching on Kickstarter when you could have sold through private channels.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Good question C.J.,

I know Ken I completely missed the fact that he put out a book test.

Seems fitting it would be on Bread.

When I see him at the spring auction I going to ask about that item and if he has any copies left. I like a copy for my vault collection.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
To clarify:

I have just a few copies of this book printed, proof copies, they are very expensive to get printed.

Paperback is much better than hardback, BUT I may consider adding a hardback option later.

Gary
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7027 Posts

Profile of bowers
These are very beautiful looking books Gary.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Thank you Smile
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1535 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Gary, they do look beautiful and I will most likely buy when they come out (I do own a lot of book tests). But nothing is VERY UNIQUE. It is either UNIQUE or it isn't. Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I would love to support this but Kickstarter has burned me one too many times.

For those unaware, Kickstarter is essentially "outside the system" - if you donate and don't get the product you literally have zero recourse.

Best of luck moving forward - I'm sure I'll pay a premium and find a copy when this is actually released (if it's released to the general market at all).
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm on the sidelines too
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Thanks for the feedback guys.

DynaMix - I fully understand and respect your decision, I've heard about a few bad stories regarding Kickstarter too. I will say though that I am one of the good guys, everyone that backs will get their package. I didn't spend a solid 4 months designing this book to not get it into the hands of people that will use it Smile

saysold1 - Wait and see what the others backers say once they receive their books Smile

Gary
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:
Gary, they do look beautiful and I will most likely buy when they come out (I do own a lot of book tests). But nothing is VERY UNIQUE. It is either UNIQUE or it isn't. Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)

OK, OK!

It IS Unique!

:)
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2016, GarySumpter wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, jaizon wrote:

OK, OK!

It IS Unique!

:)

Unlike your recent copy/pasted posts.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1802 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Gary very kindly send a preview copy of the book to me so that I could share my thoughts on it. Im happy to say that it spurred on several ideas all of which I belive Gary will be supplying with the instructions.

Firstly let me say that Gary has done an awesome job with the layout, look, and feel of this book (probably the most "realistic" book test book Ive ever seen). This IS a recipie book and could happily be sold as such and used as such too. Heck if you buy this, I'm sure that your wives and girlfriends will get just as much use out of it as you will.

The size of this book renders it ideal for stage work, (which I presently do little of (that will be changing soon though)) as such I have placed mine within my regular cookery book colection ready to surprise the guests who come to stay over.

This isn't a typical think of any word book test but instead has been geared up so that you can reveal colours numbers and words all within a very topical theme.

Im sure that those who pick thos up will enjoy the tasty treats that it has to offer Smile

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Demitri
From the description you can reveal colors, rating numbers and the first word on the page. Does it also allow you to name the recipe they're looking at? I didn't see anything relating to that - and as great as this does look - I can't see a point in having an effect like this where you can't name the actual recipe that is being looked at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Booktest - VERY UNIQUE - Feedback? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL