The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlinds Spoon Bend.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
nate
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of nate
After wacthing his spoon bend routine, the performance and the explanation several times.. and playing with the methods.. I have somewhat grasped the first bend..where he lays the spoons handle on his palm..but I am having trouble with the method for the second move he does where he holds the spoon with one hand..he really doesn't go into detail explaining it..I see how it is done but I need some tips on making it work smoothly..if anyone can give any advice without it being exposure, please, let me know..thanks
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Go back and view the performance and the explanation again. The methodology is there.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
mentalmagic
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of mentalmagic
One of the best reasons for having a DVD is that one can both zoom and slow down the effects. Take a look at the "bonus" material. He does spoon bending in the kitchen, and, if you know what to look for, you can see the methodology. In fact, he does it more openly than on the performance or in the explanation.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Osterlind's spoon bend is KILLER !
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
This second torsion is very beautifull.

I have found all the explanations to do it in the video. Where is the difficulty ?
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I agree, I use this bend more than any other at the moment, its so visual I also cant understand the difficulty. I must say that the power of the effect is increased, as ever, with some further suggestion and deceptions as taught elsewhere (Banachek and Knepper)
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
This is a nice approch to spoon bending routines as it is progressive and climactic
Well then...
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I too have the dvd.

I cant uncerstand how you havn't got it.

The answer is straight forward.Go over it a couple of times, you should get it

Cheers

kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
I do understand the first poster. I'm an Osterlind fan pur sang, but I don't dare to do his second bend. The problem is that I don't understand the angles. He explains that he points the spoon at the camera. This creates the "morphing" effect. I completely get it. But what about the people surrounding him ? The blonde woman who assisted him ? She was on the opposite side ?! Perhaps I misunderstand it completely, but it seems like the "morphing" effect is only visible from the viewpoint of the cameraman.
Mr. Osterlind are you out there ?
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
While we wait for Richard, let me suggest an answer: you perform for the roughly 75-90% of the crowd more or less in front of you, and assume everyone else will respond to their reaction.

Remember the Osterlind principle: the impact isn't just the revelation, but also (perhaps even more important) the RESPONSE to the revelation.
karnage
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
40 Posts

Profile of karnage
The 'morphing' effect is effective up to about 90 degrees... For the REALLY side angles where it will get exposed, use your other hand for cover, like what Osterlind does.
Svengali
View Profile
Regular user
USA
138 Posts

Profile of Svengali
I believe the bend is similer to the one used by Jason Michaels many years ago...
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
To Nate first,

The best way for me to explain what to "think" of when you do the bend is to look at the spoon and "will" it to bend as you push forward with your right thumb and backward with the forefinger. It's not just a question of tipping the spoon forward, but rather sort of "pivoting" it around the bend point. I hate to plug a book here, but the same philosophy I explained in Making Magic Real with the Haunted Key applies here. You have to believe in the magic yourself and have to see it happening in your mind. If you can do this, the moves will come naturally.

For the others who asked about the angles, let me give a further tip that wasn't really explained on the videos. If, in addition to making the spoon bend forward, give it a slight twist to the side at the same time. The resulting compound motion will make the spoon appear to bend from ALL ANGLES. I did this at the Rocky Mountain convention last year. I actually walked into the center of the audience and did the second bend and EVERYONE said they saw it bending. Trust me on this, I use this move constantly when surrounded and it does work. Again, as the spoon bends forward, make the bowl of the spoon twist to the side AT THE SAME TIME.

Good luck with this!
Richard
Mitchael
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mitchael
Since you mention the movie "The Matrix" in the performance of the second bend on the DVD, and the effect is very similar to the bend the boy does in the movie, I adopted your bend and added the twist already to simulate the movie. And definitely it stuns everyone from every angle.

I performed this for the nurse at the hospital when my mother had her pacemaker put in. I soon had a room full of doctors and nurses.... I cautioned them that I could not do the bend to close to my Moms pacemaker because the power field generated has been known to affect electronics. The nurses treated my mother like a star for the rest of her stay.

Thanks Richard for the best birthday present I have ever received.

"...you will see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself" --The Matrix
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
After reading this thread, I can't wait to receive my DVD:)
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
I hope for your sake that you ordered them all. You won't regret it.
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Does anyone know if Jason Michael's spoon-bend was similar to or the same as Osterlind's? If not, where did Mr. Michael's bend originate and how does it differ from all the others out there?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Mystery, actually there was a mix up, but I have volume 3 finally on order. That only leaves me with a volume 4 vacancy.

Is there a particular type of spoon that is better for Osterlind's routine? How many should I plan on going through for practice?

Thanks.

WC
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
452 Posts

Profile of Rick
Try some cheap one's first like the kind you would get at dollar general or something.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah OK or at the thrift store.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlinds Spoon Bend.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL