The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers Dream (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You noticed!

And, Norm doesn't use a g*ff*d b*ck*t!!!

I wonder what Tommy Downs would say! hee hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hey, Dick,

I loved your comment about a 20-year-old trying to be "swayve and deboner." Here's me at 19 trying to be that. Smile

That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
[quote]On Feb 9, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
...brief "commercial" about PREPARATION, PRACTICE, AND PERSISTENCE. for one season, I used: "FUN-omenal Magic". It was OK, but the principals kept introducing me with "FUN-omeeenal Magic!!! The last season or so, it was: "FAKE BELIEVE". I "inherited" that from, (I can't remember his name)He had become ill, and I filled in for him.

Julie
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Jay Malborough was the spelling.. (if indeed he is the fellow being discussed.)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Thanks! I knew Jay and his wife in the latter part of their lives. Each was a beautiful individual and their relationship was so very close.

Jay, much like Dick, travelled all over the country performing Magic. He even wrote a running account of his travels for one of the magic magazines while he was still on the road. He endeavored to visit at least one magic shop in each of the areas he played and would describe his visits in the magazine.

Julie
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
That is where I met Jay. He was out playing the Magic Castle in Hollywood. I was working in a magic shop (Hollywood Magic) and he became a 'regular' from that point on!
It was always a kick to watch him work!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I responded to Julie's and JNeal's posts above, but, somehow my response didn't "stick"!

Yes, Jay Malborough is correct!

I had never met him, or even heard of him, so, when Dakota Assemblies called about filling in for him, I was surprised.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hollywood Magic was where Jonathan and I first met. I had seen his Johnny Carson appearance in about '85, and his vanishing silk in the crystal "toob" (As Al Baker 'usta' say) really got my attention! I wished that I had thought of it first!!! I had the "technical" means (courtesy of Jay Marshall) but, "ethics" said, "NO!"

Instead, I used that "means" in an entirely different way, so, I benefited from Johnathan's "thinking"! (THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!)
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I met all the Greats at Hollywood Magic! Sooner or later they passed thru' those doors! Dick Oslund was a recognized pro back then... Even bevfore he became a Legend here on the Café'

One time (another pro) came in ... Very low key.. He wanted to peruse the book section he said. And so he did. He was looking for illusion plans and methods for a large scale Vanish. I don't think he wanted to be recognized..... I said, " No problem... Mr. Hart!" It was Johnny Hart who would soon go into the MgM show on the largest stage in Nevada... With his parakeet act! And of course, with the Vanishof a Rolls Royce to finish the act!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't understand this mind set, that there is different presentations for children (kids) then adults. My exposure to magic was from Mark Wilson television show The Magic Land of Allakazam show and The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday nights. I never seen one children magician that was stupid silly, jump around, loud, and did goofy things for the kids. Mark Wilson even did manipulations, Card Fans, and Egg On Fan, Billiard Balls. Come to think about it, I don't remember him doing a Miser's Dream. Maybe I was not that impressed if he went into the bleachers.

Because of this exposure, that is what I call real magic, and the kind of magic when I was 3 years old to my teenage years. As I was once a "kid", I liked watching real magic and enjoyed it very much.

If you are going to be a magician, them perform magic. If you are going to be a clown, then perform magic as a clown. Rebo The Clown (Bev Bergeron) on Allakazam, never did magic, he was the clown and Mark Wilson was the magician.

Kids like what looks like real magic, just present it in a fun way.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree Bill! I'll talk about my magic presentation:::::

As you've no doubt noted when you viewed my DVD. I present a MAGIC show. I have clowned in a CIRCUS, but, I'm not a CLOWN when I present MAGIC! I DO present a FUN MAGIC SHOW, and, there are lots of laughs, but I don't put diapers on kids' heads like a "kiddie" magician in New York does.

I wear a neat shirt and slacks, with a "sharp" blazer.

Whether it's a Kindergarten or a Senior High School, the difference in the shows is my vocabulary, and the manner in which I converse with the audience.

My MISER DREAM plays for the tiny tots, the young ladies and gentlemen in high schools, and the KINDERGARTEN THRU HIGH SCHOOL GROUPS. The Senior Highs are screaming with laughter when the "committee" (as Harry Blackstone called it!) of young folks "contributes" their $$$.

Although my repertoire is basically 'hand magic' (I don't use any "painted boxes") I don't do "manipulative magic" as it is commonly seen. I do a highly skillful golf ball routine that gets solid laughs for about 4=5 minutes. I do a funny fancy card shuffle bit. My rope routine gets laughs as well as applause, and my MISERS DREAM gets SCREAMS OF LAUGHTER. I CAN'T FOLLOW IT. IT CLOSES THE SHOW.

Because I "invade their bubble", I don't do the MD with adults. But, I do it when I have a FAMILY SHOW. The adults have tears in their eyes from laughing!

I wrote the MD routine "up" in the book. Also the balls, the cards, the rope, the silks ETC. I held nothing back.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S. I HAD BETTER "AMEND" THAT NEXT TO LAST PARAGRAPH!

I was typing in a hurry...I had an appointment--.

I don't do the MD with adults as PARTICIPANTS. (The ENTERTAINMENT, ACCORDING TO SOME GUY NAMED DOWNS, IS "NOT IN PRODUCING COINS FROM THE AIR! THE ENTERTAINMENT IS IN PRODUCING COINS FROM THE CHILDREN'S EARS, NOSE, HAIR, ETC." (From what I know of Downs, he seemed to know how to ENTERTAIN with the MD.

I never saw of met Downs, Faucett Ross knew him, and, Faucett told me of Downs' thinking. I DID know Al Flosso, and, he and I had the same ideas.

Adults LOVE to see their kids reactions when I shake a coin from an ear, etc. --THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!!
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
62 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Levent's Miser's Dream DVD has to be the best source of information available:

http://www.leventmagic.com/
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I don't KNOW Levent, but, I have great respect for his work.

I only have 70 years of performing the MD! I did it as a kid in a side show, 15 times a day. I never met Tommy Downs, but, I did KNOW Faucett Ross, who knew Downs for many years, and, Faucett shared Downs' "thinking"! Al Flosso, and I KNEW each other since 1964. We often shared the "Charlie Miller Suite" at Inc. Oh! I KNEW Charlie, too.

There aint much that I don't know about the MD. I wrote up my "tested" routine in the book.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Great new, Viking Magic has says they have just had a new Palming Coin made. Have to buy a dozen at a time, but the price is the best yet, only $30 a dozen.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/palming-coin/

They look like they would be perfect for stage work and the Miser's Dream routine, as they have a very shiny surface.

Click here to view attached image.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Great new, Viking Magic has says they have just had a new Palming Coin made. Have to buy a dozen at a time, but the price is the best yet, only $30 a dozen.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/palming-coin/

They look like they would be perfect for stage work and the Miser's Dream routine, as they have a very shiny surface.

I've got some of these that arrived last week. I'm sorry to say that, although they look fabulous, they "talk" too much for my liking when producing them one at a time from a stack in the hand.

I do a Misers Dream ala Nielsen, with 33 coins. This won me awards for my manipulation back in the 1980s. I have a proprietary palm - the De Brett Palm - where I hold 10 coins at a time in the hand, and you wont see them (no it isn't a Nelson-Downs palm!). And when I produce them one at a time, the coins mustn't "talk" too much as it gives the game away. It all has to do with how deeply the coin design is milled into the coin. If it is shallow, like a Nielsen palming coin, it doesn't make much noise. But these ones from Viking have the design too deeply milled into the coin. Which is why I said they "talk" too much.

However, having said all that, these Viking coins are very well priced. If one doesn't have the restrictions placed on them that I do, they are excellent value for money.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, it's a case of DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (That's Latin for: "We ought not argue over tastes."

I learned the Downs palm in 1946 with both hands. I was doing the MD 12-15 times a day in a carnival side show. The late Fred Keating, said that "To be a professional, you should have a season with a carnival! Having been 'with it", I agree with Fred.

I happen to like Norm Nielsen. His coin ladder adds a lot of class to his MD. However, I would not think of copying his presentation. It's HIS!

I do what fits MY personality, and style of work. I admire Levent's presentation, also! BUT, I wouldn't for a moment, consider copying his presentation either.

I use real Eisenhower $$$. If one falls on the floor, no one will say, "It's not REAL MONEY!" I use five of them. The routine runs about 5 minutes. For elementary schools, it closes the show. For high schools, it's next to closing. Reset time is 5 seconds!

I don't use a gaffed bucket. I owned one, briefly. It came with an estate that I bought. I sold it. I have used for years, a steel kitchen utensil 'caddy' that I paid $.89 cents for in a thrift store. (It fits in my prop case.)

The routine is so simple that even I can do it! After 55 years, I finally wrote it up in my book. Not everyone will use it. That's THEIR decision! I know what works for ME, and what my audiences LIKE! My LIVING depended on keeping my audiences ENTERTAINED.

I'm outa here!
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Well, it's a case of DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (That's Latin for: "We ought not argue over tastes."

I learned the Downs palm in 1946 with both hands. I was doing the MD 12-15 times a day in a carnival side show. The late Fred Keating, said that "To be a professional, you should have a season with a carnival! Having been 'with it", I agree with Fred.

I happen to like Norm Nielsen. His coin ladder adds a lot of class to his MD. However, I would not think of copying his presentation. It's HIS!

I do what fits MY personality, and style of work. I admire Levent's presentation, also! BUT, I wouldn't for a moment, consider copying his presentation either.

I use real Eisenhower $$$. If one falls on the floor, no one will say, "It's not REAL MONEY!" I use five of them. The routine runs about 5 minutes. For elementary schools, it closes the show. For high schools, it's next to closing. Reset time is 5 seconds!

I don't use a gaffed bucket. I owned one, briefly. It came with an estate that I bought. I sold it. I have used for years, a steel kitchen utensil 'caddy' that I paid $.89 cents for in a thrift store. (It fits in my prop case.)

The routine is so simple that even I can do it! After 55 years, I finally wrote it up in my book. Not everyone will use it. That's THEIR decision! I know what works for ME, and what my audiences LIKE! My LIVING depended on keeping my audiences ENTERTAINED.

I'm outa here!

When I said "ala Nielsen" I did not mean to imply that I copied his routine. I have not. What I meant to convey is that I do the MD without a coin pail (gaffed or ungaffed), and don't use the other hand to do the "secret" when dropping a coin. I also don't use a Coin Ladder.

So, in referring to Norm, I only meant to say that I do bare handed coin productions without using sound as the key.

Hope that clarifies things.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Greetings from the "colonies", as George Johnstone would say!

I didn't mean to imply that you were copying Nielsen's coin ladder routine! Perhaps I should have expanded that point!

BTW! RE: "sound"...What intrigues me with Norm's ladder is that it's "tuned"!

Best wishes!

O
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Greetings from the "colonies", as George Johnstone would say!

I didn't mean to imply that you were copying Nielsen's coin ladder routine! Perhaps I should have expanded that point!

BTW! RE: "sound"...What intrigues me with Norm's ladder is that it's "tuned"!

Best wishes!

O

If you have differing lengths of metal, and where the difference between the lengths is based on a root-means square basis, they will all be within a certain musical key. So, I wouldn't have thought Norm did it on purpose - more of a happy accident.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Misers Dream (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL