The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..23~24~25 [Next]
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
969 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
Brethren,

Quite a few have written me recently about my trilogy on the underlying principle. Several recalled something different I came up with about 8 years ago: a unique, nonelectronic technology for secretly retrieving information. They remembered my posting about it and wanted to know the details. For anyone else interested, here they are: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......16776#29

Good luck!
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Dear Ustaad,

BUY OR NOT TO BUY, that is what these threads are all about and that is why we read them. Whenever I can find a post by you in a thread I know I need read no further as after reading it I know what to do. Very often like on this thread you save me money. Thanks once again for your invaluable help.

Kaarlo
Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Dear Sir Kaarlo,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Coming from you means a lot to me.

Over the years I have noticed that whenever Paul Harris puts his stamp of approval especially on an upgraded version of an already released effect, one would invariably find that the effect/routine/performance tips have been greatly improved upon and perfected. However after watching the demo video of STEAM 2.0, I see no such improvement except that one is provided with all the requisite materials needed to perform the effect right out of the box.

When STEAM (I'll call it version 1.0) was first released (almost 5 years ago), one can find some great ideas/routines from our eminent members (here on the Café) on performing this simple and straightforward effect with ease and confidence. The only problem was that people could not easily find the correct material for STEAM 1.0. This has now been taken care of by Paul Harris & Team. However if one has the time & inclination, one will find that all requisite info (including the type of material needed) has been very well documented here on the Café. More so couple of our members (Stephen Young and chrismatt) have released some very useful and must have material on STEAM.

Just my thoughts (as usual! Smile).

Best regards,

Narendra

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Great advice as usual from Kaarlo and Narendra.

I added quite a few of my own thoughts about STEAM 1 over a period of many years - if people take the time to search.

Why does Kaarlo always "drone on" though Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
HOLY EXPOSURE! About half a dozen times on this thread.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Find 'em and report 'em.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Steam 2.0 is now in stock at Merchant of Magic, and they are shipping out all pre-orders today.
Magicians are also collecting them directly from the magic shop this afternoon.

They still have a small batch in stock, so if you want a set today, now's the time to pick one up.

Hope this helps
Dominic
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
680 Posts

Profile of brandon90
I'm looking forward to some reviews.

I need a little something to add to my routine, I'm doing cards, coins, and now I want to add a sprinkle of mentalism just to keep the spec's on their feet.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Elliot Marx wrote:
Thanks Brett. I respect your opinion mate.

Will post a review once received.

Elliot

Looking forward to your review Elliot.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
It certainly won't be Mentalism you do if you also do card n coin tricks.
There is no holy grail!
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Let's face it, guys: manufacturers/producers need to sell trix(!) to make a living. And every trick has that special something that makes it an eye-popping miracle, regardless of whether its a special prop/method/handling/covert action, etc. And while we seemingly are always complaining about "exposure", think of it from their position: if I demo my new effect, and from the video you do not have to buy it, because you can figure it out, then I've lost sales.

Now, the other half(?) of the group who complains about editing bits and pieces out of a promo video are fellows like me: I want the cleanest effect possible, and I get p*ssed when the video I see leaves out "something" that has to be done in performance, but isn't shown in the advert. It would throw my timing off, make me wonder about whether my audience would notice/think about the part that wasn't shown in the ad, and whether my own personal style would allow for its "justification" in the routine.

The effect as described (Steam 2.0) sounds amazing, jaw-dropping and makes me want it right now! But knowing that there is something missing makes me want to ask for a return-guarantee from the seller, so that when I get it, if I decide that I don't want it (due to the missing parts of the ad/trailer) I could return it, no questions asked. Because I am spending my hard earned money in a lifestyle based on lies and deception, and I feel the need to be able to trust the dealers who are selling me those lies.

Mr. Harris, please send me a copy of Steam 2.0, and if I like it after I have seen the dirty bits, I will pay you for it.

How's that for truth is sales?

Lee
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
You have consumer protection. If you feel the demo mislead you first contact the seller and request a return. If they refuse you, you have the law on your side. Magic products are not exempt from consumer ptotection laws.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
680 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, SolidSnake wrote:
It certainly won't be Mentalism you do if you also do card n coin tricks.


Why not?

I don't see it being a problem.. just fun for the audience.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Danny Kazam - I agree, as a retail product. But how often have we walked into a brick-and-mortar store, and been told that we are buying the "secret" to the effect, and once purchased it cannot be undone?

Lee
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5490 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, espmagic wrote:
Danny Kazam - I agree, as a retail product. But how often have we walked into a brick-and-mortar store, and been told that we are buying the "secret" to the effect, and once purchased it cannot be undone?

Lee


Many online shops will accept returns. I've returned many, many things to Penguin with no questions asked for example.
I believe the saying that "you're buying the secret" went out with the last century.

If your B&M shop refuses a return for this reason, simply explain to them that you will take your business elsewhere until they change their policy, and now with the internet you can actually do that and they know it. It isn't difficult for the shop owners to quickly realize anyone who may be taking advantage of the system.
Not sure why in this day and age,I hear so many magicians saying that such and such new effect wound up in their drawer. If it doesn't work or had misleading advertising, or yes, even if it just doesn't suit your needs, then return it. Don't understand why magic effects seem to be treated differently than every other product we buy.

Hopefully, if dealers receive enough returns on certain items it will also cut down on them selling as many unworkable, TV only effects, which are advertised in misleading ways.
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, mysticalsales wrote:
If the spectator's card needs to be covered with another card to retrieve the info before the performer writes the prediction than this indeed is misleading.
If it's something that the spectator indeed sees in the routine than in my opinion the only reason to omit it from the "Full Performance" video is to fool the potential customer that would want to buy it based what is seen. Just my 2 cents.


All you say is quite correct.


This is disappointing to me. Just my opinion, but I strongly dislike when the promotional video is edited, altering what the spectator sees. Especially if the only reason the video was edited was to fool me, the person considering buying the effect.
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, mysticalsales wrote:
If the spectator's card needs to be covered with another card to retrieve the info before the performer writes the prediction than this indeed is misleading.
If it's something that the spectator indeed sees in the routine than in my opinion the only reason to omit it from the "Full Performance" video is to fool the potential customer that would want to buy it based what is seen. Just my 2 cents.


All you say is quite correct.


This is disappointing to me. Just my opinion, but I strongly dislike when the promotional video is edited, altering what the spectator sees. Especially if the only reason the video was edited was to fool me, the person considering buying the effect, by leaving out a segment of how the effect appears to a spectator. I understand there are times when the video has to be edited to prevent revealing the method. That does not appear to be the case in this situation.
magicbrady
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of magicbrady
I also wish we could see an uncut performance. My guess is that this is Psypher-ish, but with a different material. Is there anything that I can do with this that I can't already do in a similar fashion with Psypher?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, magicbrady wrote:
I also wish we could see an uncut performance. My guess is that this is Psypher-ish, but with a different material. Is there anything that I can do with this that I can't already do in a similar fashion with Psypher?


That is totally wrong.

It is not at ALL Psypher-ish. This is from a fan of Psypher but Steam is far better.

When showed & taught the nuances of Steam last Oct to Jeff McBride, Eugene, Larry Hass and Ross Johnson + a class of 18 mentalists - all were blown to smithereens.

NO BS. It is very very good.

PH IMO was dumb to leave out one important part as there was really no reason to hide it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

PH IMO was dumb to leave out one important part as there was really no reason to hide it.


Exactly.

STEAM 2.0 is a revamped effect and hence PH & Team should have realized that the users of STEAM 1.0 would have quickly caught the glaring discrepancy in the demo vid of 2.0. And that is exactly what has happened. After the disclosure, PH & Team have gone completely mum.

Smile
P.S. It's an age old fact that the magic creators/distributors make their living and thrives on bluffing/fooling their own clan - It's in our blood to deceive our own clan.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL