We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..23~24~25 [Next]
music
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of music
Why not have a medallion, or trinket or an old picture of grandpa in the envelope, they place their hands over it, you then remove said item hold it in your hands and then reveal. Would this help justify the envelope? (I do not have Steam, just giving a thought)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've even done it with a shoe to cover - stepping on their face down writing.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2016, jaizon wrote:
I think Ustaad is being a bit more than a little harsh. "one shall learn nothing..." Really. That's just not true. You are provided with excellent material and some very good ideas for routines. This is a utility device and you should be able to come up with your own ideas for presentation. I took a photo of myself this morning, went to Walgreen's Pharmacy and got 4 wallet sized prints for 25 cents each (for the Photo Steam routine). The envelope flew by 2 specs this afternoon and I couldn't have been more pleased. One word of caution (which was mentioned on the video that comes with Steam 2) -- make sure they write large!!! That may be more important than anything.

Preston

I agree Preston. There are so many ways to present this. The envelope is just one way. There are a zillion ways that weren't presented in the video. However, one that was, was the bill routine. That routine doesn't use the envelope, is completely justified, and is awesome!

Wait...

I don't know why I'm trying to convince anyone.

Every critic is right. It's terrible. Just forget about it.

Move on.

Nothing to see here.

KJ
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2016, jaizon wrote:

This is a utility device and you should be able to come up with your own ideas for presentation.

You said it! With due respect to Preston, that is exactly what STEAM 2.0 is all about.

All those who have used STEAM 1.0 will agree with me that STEAM 2.0 lacks any good routines. And hence in my opening sentence (in my above post) I said and may I please quote:-

Quote:
On Feb 23, 2016, Ustaad wrote:

PH & Team has basically put together all the requisite items/material needed to perform STEAM right out of the box. One shall learn nothing as far as good routine and performance tips are concerned.

Users of Steam 1.0 as well as 2.0 who are interested in learning good routines/methods/performance tips, I would humbly suggest to please checkout:-

1. The Café's Inner Thoughts section.

2. Under Your Own Steam by Stephen Young (Nick on the Café - Stephen Young)

3. Trilogy Manuscript by Christopher Mathewson (Nick on the Café - chrismatt)

4. Mati Envelope by Felix Schellenberg (Nick on the Café - Nicolino)
(Note: The Mati Envelope is a nice utility device)

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I spent some time today with steam 2.0
Only had a few hours though but I feel this is a nice package for what you pay for! You get a lot.
Steam is one of those utility items folks! You can create great effects with the steam principal. I've been using steam for a long time now as I wrote earlier.
I'm a fan of working out of your pocket. Minimalist Mentalism effect can be a challenge. I think steam 2.0 helps. Like anything in mentalism, " how we get our info is not as important than how the delivery of that info is." Although, steam is one of those methodes when you get the info you can help but chuckle inside. It's nice to feel like James Bond.... I like steam 2.0. I don't see any disconnection if done right.. As ustaad pointed out, there are great threads to read downstairs using this principal.
For 45.00 bucks you get a generous amount of items. Using your creative mind for effects... That's priceless! 😉
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I know what Ustaad means though. The teaching is fine, but its not exactly a master class in mentalism; which is fine as I don't think this is mainly aimed at that market. I appreciate the justification for the envelope but I still think some people will think; "why not just put the card in the envelope". I'm sure many wont even think about it. I guess my point is that if "peeking" was new and this was the first method, you'd say to yourself "this is really cool". But its not the only method and as a consequence I think its fair to be a little bit hard on things like this.

I'm not knocking it; I think its a really cool idea and I am definitely going to try it; but I cant see it replacing billet switches and more regular imp pads for me personally. As mentioned before though, I think there is a better way out there than the envelope and the beauty of these big PH presents releases is lots of creative people look at it and it evolves further. As I say though, I think its a solid peek that works.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I didn't buy it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned using it for an alternative method for Tervil...
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2016, Paul S Wingham wrote:
I know what Ustaad means though. The teaching is fine, but its not exactly a master class in mentalism; which is fine as I don't think this is mainly aimed at that market. I appreciate the justification for the envelope but I still think some people will think; "why not just put the card in the envelope". I'm sure many wont even think about it. I guess my point is that if "peeking" was new and this was the first method, you'd say to yourself "this is really cool". But its not the only method and as a consequence I think its fair to be a little bit hard on things like this.

I'm not knocking it; I think its a really cool idea and I am definitely going to try it; but I cant see it replacing billet switches and more regular imp pads for me personally. As mentioned before though, I think there is a better way out there than the envelope and the beauty of these big PH presents releases is lots of creative people look at it and it evolves further. As I say though, I think its a solid peek that works.

I feel that there is far too much overthinking about the envelope, likely because many people were hoping for what is essentially completely propless mind reading. Think about this though, if one could really read minds, why even have the person write anything down at all? The biggest thing to overcome with writing something down is that specific detail of why one needs to write anything down in the first place. The envelope is really inconsequential as long as you treat it as a afterthought when asking the spec to place the envelope on top of the the card and then their hand on top of both. The biggest thing you need is a justification for getting the envelope back, which is really easy to cover if you either forgot and left something else in the envelope or if you just need something to write/draw on. If you are worried about your audience questioning the envelope, this will likely come across in your performance and thus will actually leave the door open for your audience to question the envelope. So really, stop worrying and just try this out. The biggest issue I've come across has been a person making too elaborate of a drawing or writing too small.

Remember, the actual heat from the audience's POV is on the actual card itself.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't think that's fully correct y'know kissdadookie, the punters are far more with it than we often tend to think they are...if you ask someone to do something illogical, there'd better be a VERY good reason as to why...people put things inside envelopes, that's its only real function...

the method in itself is great - I just think because of the original demo, it shied away from showing the full choreography...which I think was a negative... even though I have the original, I was kinda tempted to buy it because I thought (initially) that they'd made some big leap forward - either in the materials used, or the pen, and the presentations...but it genuinely put me off because I saw the envelope being used in such a weird way! completely put me off...
I've asked to be banned
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2494 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Blackpool weekend is just over and I was performing this a lot until we sold out.

I found all the pitfalls I think and found that cutting the cards in half gave me twice as many uses.

You can also have them write on the other side so you get 2 uses out of each card, the previous writing from a previous performance did not affect the new one.

I found having a previous card with the writing on how I wanted it guided them to do it the same, without this some people were writing very small.

I was using a card box to cover the card which I liked as they did not have to touch anything but owners of Steam 2.0 can choose a presentation and handling they like.

We have had a delivery since Blackpool but only a few are left in stock and none at available at Muphy's yet.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/p......ira.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2016, IAIN wrote:
I don't think that's fully correct y'know kissdadookie, the punters are far more with it than we often tend to think they are...if you ask someone to do something illogical, there'd better be a VERY good reason as to why...people put things inside envelopes, that's its only real function...

the method in itself is great - I just think because of the original demo, it shied away from showing the full choreography...which I think was a negative... even though I have the original, I was kinda tempted to buy it because I thought (initially) that they'd made some big leap forward - either in the materials used, or the pen, and the presentations...but it genuinely put me off because I saw the envelope being used in such a weird way! completely put me off...

I think you're forgetting to think of it in reverse Smile You take things out of envelopes as well. Introducing the envelope by having something in it already that you are taking out justifies the envelope. Asking them to put the envelope on top of the card is at that point inconsequential as it's just some random thing to put on something else to prevent any sort of peeking, etc. This is very logical, as logical as asking them to put anything else on top of the card/paper.

Essentially there are 3 things which needs justification. 1) Why they are writing on the card in the first place 2) Introducing the envelope 3) Asking for the envelope back. All 3 points are very very easily accomplished with the littlest of thought if you have been performing such things for awhile now (or get some good billet work books).
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, but putting an envelope on top of something is illogical, especially if that object initially cane out of that very same envelope!

You don't take a credit card from a wallet, use it, then stick it in your underwear... Smile
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Yeah, but putting an envelope on top of something is illogical, especially if that object initially cane out of that very same envelope!

You don't take a credit card from a wallet, use it, then stick it in your underwear... Smile

Again, overthinking. If you treat it as an afterthought as a means for grabbing something to write thoughts/doodle on or if there is something you need to take out of the envelope (if you use the fish thing this is justified or the photo presentation), you have made it logical. They don't question it. They even give you a perfectly good script/patter for this in the instructions.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I might be overthinking, you might be under thinking! Aaaaah
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
I might be overthinking, you might be under thinking! Aaaaah

I've gone through half the envelopes already at this point. Actually worked the darn thing quite thoroughly. It's a non-issue. Granted all close up.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not trying to talk you out of it...its a personal thing at the end of they day...

I personally consider it an illogical action, to be honest, I don't really care what anyone else thinks, we all have to do what we as individuals consider to be good, real, logical and all the rest...if it works for you, I'm happy to hear it...
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Not trying to talk you out of it...its a personal thing at the end of they day...

I personally consider it an illogical action, to be honest, I don't really care what anyone else thinks, we all have to do what we as individuals consider to be good, real, logical and all the rest...if it works for you, I'm happy to hear it...

This is the true illogical thing here: It's illogical to you as the performer apparently but what does this matter unless you are just performing to yourself? We are performing this on an audience are we not? Not performing for ourselves or just performing for other magicians/mentalists?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If something is illogical to me, I don't do it, because the illogicality of it will leak out in my actions and behaviour...

And if I consider something to be illogical, I wont perform it, its as simple as that...it needs to feel realistic and natural to me....this doesn't...

And sometimes, people are just kind or polite, and wont mention certain things to you, but they will their friends afterwards...

You don't have to defend your choices to me, I just consider your choice an illogical one, that's all there is to it...i wouldn't do what you do...dont take it as an insult, cos its not, just a difference and choice...
I've asked to be banned
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4236 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
If something is illogical to me, I don't do it, because the illogicality of it will leak out in my actions and behaviour...

And if I consider something to be illogical, I wont perform it, its as simple as that...it needs to feel realistic and natural to me....this doesn't...

And sometimes, people are just kind or polite, and wont mention certain things to you, but they will their friends afterwards...

You don't have to defend your choices to me, I just consider your choice an illogical one, that's all there is to it...i wouldn't do what you do...dont take it as an insult, cos its not, just a difference and choice...

Let me quote you here:

"because the illogicality of it will leak out in my actions and behaviour"

There lies your problem. Your hung up on a non-issue which then becomes an issue and I agree, that will come out in your performance and like the saying goes, they can smell fear Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its not a problem, its an illogical act, no more, no less...so FOR ME it is an issue, FOR YOU it isn't!

Its an issue because (for the final time) I consider the usage of the envelope isn't natural, the context doesn't make sense TO ME.

We all have our own artistic merits, thoughts and so on, just like some prefer a wallet over b*ll*ts, ct over p**ks, its all about motivation and the logic behind it...

You've found yours, that's great, but I don't have to agree with it (though really, I don't care what you do), I just care about how I approach it...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL