The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21..23~24~25 [Next]
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
82 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Thanks Brett, I don't have the original Steam but know The Ghost was based on the same principle.

Maybe I should've better clarified my question on refills: it was relating to the cards used in the updated version and how easy (and affordable) they would be to source.

Appreciate we are bordering on exposure here so don't want to expand further. Also understand that not many people would be in a position to answer unless they've seen the product in the flesh.

Overseas shipping with the Aussie dollar is a killer right now Smile
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Can this gimmick used for drawing duplication? I am considering buying it,seems like a very fair process,almost test conidtion mentalism.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, sychou wrote:
Can this gimmick used for drawing duplication? I am considering buying it,seems like a very fair process,almost test conidtion mentalism.


Yes sir!! It's very fair process!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
I have the Steam trilogy published 5-6 years ago by Café member Chris Matthewson. The books themselves are outstanding and I strongly suspect Steam 2.0 is something discussed in great detail with almost infinite variations in the trilogy. I believe the middle book, called "Thought Reader's Secret Weapon," definitely has this, but I think the other two books have variations, too.

I don't know if the books are still available, but as I said Matthewson is still a member of the Café and can be contacted.

BTW, I believe the books discuss several improvements on the standard black marker commonly used. I've used many ideas from the trilogy and recommend them without reservation as containing some of the best information retrieval methods in the business!

DK
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
172 Posts

Profile of MinSting
Nice package and trailer,
i have the original steam and I find the system very original and magical, but was just okey for big and simple shapes,
did the resolution of the duplication improve over 1.0?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, MinSting wrote:
Nice package and trailer,
i have the original steam and I find the system very original and magical, but was just okey for big and simple shapes,
did the resolution of the duplication improve over 1.0?


Guys -

The resolution is affected by many variables - including ambient temp.

I get amazing resolution from the 1.0 as I have been experimenting for years with different variables - always keeping in mind that hot conditions as in Phoenix (or Spain) will greatly affect resolution.

I think all of us who know STEAM (which has been a locked topic for many years) shouldn't discuss pens etc.

Its a great utility tool - it is not a trick.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
82 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
To answer sychou I would say DDs are just one of the myriad of options available...
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, Platt wrote:
This sounds great. But it is curious that they would leave the basic handling out of the description and so called complete performance video. If it's covering the writing with a business card/envelope and then taking that card back that's dramatically different, and honestly far less clean than what's described. Performance videos can be tricky but this is different than a small move that's covered by misdirection. By the comments, this is something that's visibly and overtly part of the routine. So they should show it, no?


Thanks for pointing this out. Not being honest is a big turnoff.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The 'weaknesses' of billet work or w*llets as mentioned in the vid, there's the same weakness in this too, that you will need to cover their drawing or whatever with something prepared, AND it needs justification (same as billet or w*llet stuff) - so, its on a par with everything else we do...its a clever technique and it works well enough...but its not a holy grail...

I think the interesting bit is the 'adapt your sharpie' bit...
I've asked to be banned
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, IAIN wrote:
The 'weaknesses' of billet work or w*llets as mentioned in the vid, there's the same weakness in this too, that you will need to cover their drawing or whatever with something prepared, AND it needs justification (same as billet or w*llet stuff) - so, its on a par with everything else we do...its a clever technique and it works well enough...but its not a holy grail...

I think the interesting bit is the 'adapt your sharpie' bit...


Completely agree, the problem relies on logic and when they try and work out how you knew the info and they back track - which they do. If the suspicion arouses because of logic e.g I wonder why he got me to put the envelope on the card then cover with my hands, because all I had to do was cover with my hands etc etc, then this unfortunately is the let down. The same as taking the card and putting it in a wallet. BUT if you can give a good logical and plausible reason for needing to do these actions then yes it's a winner.
chuds
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
168 Posts

Profile of chuds
Will anyone be selling this at Blackpool, I might save some money on postage!
Chuds
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
Exactly. I find it a bit disgusting that he practically scoffs at the use of ripping up a card or having to place it in your wallet and then fails to mention that you have to do something equally if not more contrived with his seeming perfect effect. If you're going to knock down classic methods of getting information and brag that your invention doesn't require those techniques, at the very least show in your video what you have to do instead. He goes on to say "don't even try to guess how it's done because you can't. It's THAT brilliant. What a joke. Bad form by the creator. Pass.

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, IAIN wrote:
The 'weaknesses' of billet work or w*llets as mentioned in the vid, there's the same weakness in this too, that you will need to cover their drawing or whatever with something prepared, AND it needs justification (same as billet or w*llet stuff) - so, its on a par with everything else we do...its a clever technique and it works well enough...but its not a holy grail...

I think the interesting bit is the 'adapt your sharpie' bit...
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, chuds wrote:
Will anyone be selling this at Blackpool, I might save some money on postage!


I expect so. All depends if the first release batch sells out before then.

MoM are currently supplying STEAM 2.0 with free worldwide shipping from the UK, if that helps solve that concern for you?

Here: http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.......d=147327

Hope this helps
Dominic
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The edit @ 4:16 in the demo is enough for me to not buy this very misleading product. Do you think reactions will be better than using a wallet, etc?? I doubt it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Platt wrote:
Exactly. I find it a bit disgusting that he practically scoffs at the use of ripping up a card or having to place it in your wallet and then fails to mention that you have to do something equally if not more contrived with his seeming perfect effect. If you're going to knock down classic methods of getting information and brag that your invention doesn't require those techniques, at the very least show in your video what you have to do instead. He goes on to say "don't even try to guess how it's done because you can't. It's THAT brilliant. What a joke. Bad form by the creator. Pass.

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, IAIN wrote:
The 'weaknesses' of billet work or w*llets as mentioned in the vid, there's the same weakness in this too, that you will need to cover their drawing or whatever with something prepared, AND it needs justification (same as billet or w*llet stuff) - so, its on a par with everything else we do...its a clever technique and it works well enough...but its not a holy grail...

I think the interesting bit is the 'adapt your sharpie' bit...


Because he is a magician and he is trying to play it as a mentalist. Different thinking and I am not trying to start an argument.

I showed STEAM to Jeff McBride, Eugene, Ross and Larry some months ago and they were blown away by the concept - it really is a great concept. But the video demo here is typical PH playing footsie with the presentation.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
This first came to my attention through a subscribed channel on YouTube.
After watching the vid I was excited and curious.
After reading some of the posts,it looks like I'm gonna save some money.
larotule
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of larotule
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, pegasus wrote:
The edit @ 4:16 in the demo is enough for me to not buy this very misleading product. Do you think reactions will be better than using a wallet, etc?? I doubt it.


This is not misleading because they are smart, and ad copy is 100 % correct BUT they just cut by "mistake" something illogical (giving two business cards to a spectator !!??? , cover them and give back to you the blank one !!!???) ... Just Watch the trailer at 43 seconds ! you will see the "cut part" ! ... they are really smart to fool people

i have steam 1.0 and it's far away better than that ... everything is logical, you ask for a card name and put the card box to cover everything

steam principle is brilliant and you like the effect ? ... buy STEAM 1.0 but not 2.0 !!!

just my two cents
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Why does PH need to put good material in the magic blender and turn on high speed?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
200 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
I watched Etiennes performance on fool us and I really do like how the box goes over the card because it seems so natural. 2 business cards does not. But hey, maybe they worked it into the routine perfectly.
I recently received Psypher 2. I know I am late but I'm trying to pick the advantages and disadvantages of them both. But right now they are looking rather similar.

Once you know Steam, can't you adapt it to anything you want? If the special something is easy to source, can't you use a card box instead of a business card if you wanted to??? Even if that is not how they teach the new version.
Thanks!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I have been closely following this thread.

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, MinSting wrote:

did the resolution of the duplication improve over 1.0?



* The resolution is affected by many variables - including ambient temp.

I get amazing resolution from the 1.0 as I have been experimenting for years with different variables - always keeping in mind that hot conditions as in Phoenix (or Spain) will greatly affect resolution.


In STEAM 2.0 I find that PH & Team has taken care and has addressed the problem of resolution by making use of the spectators palm as the added heat source. This also helps in reducing the time factor for registering of the image. All other working remains same as per the original STEAM. So please don't get fooled by the clever advertising by these magic creators/distributors.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9..12..15..18..21..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL