We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..23~24~25 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5718 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Steve Suss wrote:

All we are asking is why would an owner of Steam 1 now purchase Steam 2. I think this is a fair question for those who already own Steam 1.

After watching the demo vid I made a comment (on this threads on page 2 - Posted: Feb 10, 2016 10:41 am) giving my own reasons for the spectator placing her palm on top of the business card. This I feel has been good thinking (as I think) on the part of the STEAM 2.0 team.

Also STEAM 2.0 comes with all the tried and tested ready to go material needed for a fail-proof performance. However as seen in the demo vid, I don't agree with the manner in which the performer gains his information. On this too I have made my comments with reason.

I personally feel that the release of STEAM 2.0 is a good buy especially for those who don't have the earlier version of STEAM. But that's MY opinion. Smile

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, PHSIS wrote:

There are also a handful of brand new routines from our creative team.

In that case, these fresh routines should have been your better selling point and as part of your sales advertisement (and also included in the demo vid as a teaser) and thus giving a very good reason for bringing out STEAM 2.0

Just my thoughts. Smile

Smile
P.S. And for those who ardent performers of STEAM who are looking for various routines and methods of performing steam I would suggest:-

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Dark Knight wrote:

I have the Steam trilogy published 5-6 years ago by Café member Chris Matthewson. The books themselves are outstanding and I strongly suspect Steam 2.0 is something discussed in great detail with almost infinite variations in the trilogy.

I don't know if the books are still available, but as I said Matthewson is still a member of the Café and can be contacted.

BTW, I believe the books discuss several improvements on the standard black marker commonly used. I've used many ideas from the trilogy and recommend them without reservation as containing some of the best information retrieval methods in the business!
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
On a positive note for me, I pulled out Steam 1 and found a great source for the original material online. I also reread Stephen Young's book "Under your own steam"
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......32942#12

Glad this has come available, it reminded me how great Steam 1 is. I'll be using it often.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
843 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
This is the original steam [in french of course] this one makes more sense and logical to the spectator they write a thought of card down etc etc the performer puts the pack of cards in box over the written word (CARD) the spec covers with their hand etc they raise their hand the performer picks up the cards takes them out of the box at the same time taking a peak at the written prediction. Job done in natural and justified actions.This video is giving more detail and explanations but unfortunately you after to understand the language.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5718 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I would like to make a couple of points:-

STEAM will not work in extreme hot and dry climate. Reason . . . Smile

To hasten up the reaction time in cold climate, it would be better to use an external heat source like the one shown in the STEAM 2.0 demo (heat of palm). Also one can think of using a hot coffee mug to be placed over the props.

I would also like to advise that before your actual performance please to a trial so as to check the timing for the impression to appear. This is important since STEAM is highly dependent on the surrounding atmospheric conditions besides other factors.

My 1/2 a cent! Smile

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Fligmupple
View Profile
New user
This account will expire in
82 Posts

Profile of Fligmupple
First I would like to say I like the method behind Steam (and obviously Steam 2.0).

I also like the (or an) original French demo video of Steam.

What I HATE though, is the intentional deception of the Steam 2.0 demo video. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE demo video of tricks where they are edited to literally trick the magician into buying the product. It's a lame, cowardly move that's motivated by profit. The excuse of "it's the spectator's view" is a cop out. Shame on you.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10646 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
I would like to make a couple of points:-

STEAM will not work in extreme hot and dry climate. Reason . . . Smile

To hasten up the reaction time in cold climate, it would be better to use an external heat source like the one shown in the STEAM 2.0 demo (heat of palm). Also one can think of using a hot coffee mug to be placed over the props.

I would also like to advise that before your actual performance please to a trial so as to check the timing for the impression to appear. This is important since STEAM is highly dependent on the surrounding atmospheric conditions besides other factors.

My 1/2 a cent! Smile

Smile

All great advice.

Another tip is that overly air-conditioned rooms (as in a hotel) where there is a fan overhead or HVAC vent - can also be an issue.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
969 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
Several have written me recently about my trilogy on the underlying principle. I have a few copies left of each manuscript.

From what I've read in this thread, the exact method of Steam 2.0 was written up several years ago in both my Sub Rosa Book Test and my Thought Reader's Secret Weapon, as part of a much longer treatment (the chapters on my Rosebud gimmick and my QT Envelope Gimmick).

I should add that a much more subtle idea was described in detail in the third book of my trilogy: Little Nicky and Other Oddities.

Anyone interested in these manuscripts is welcome to contact me at chrismattx@gmail.com.

Thank you,
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Elliot Marx wrote:
Janet, are you able to comment on the accessibility of the necessary items for refills for those of us in far flung climes? Or will they only be available through dealers?

Thanks,

Elliot

You won't need to go to the dealer for most of it. You should be able to buy the main part very cheaply and will last years and years to come.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Thank you, lunatik, I appreciate the response.

Would you be able to PM me with details on what wouldn't be easily accessible? I'm being mindful of exposure on the forum.

Or if indeed anyone else has the answer, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Elliot
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10646 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well here's the thing: if lunatik tells you the components in a PM then you won't need to buy steam 2.

That's not fair to the creators.

IMO That's worse than exposure. I suggest you buy it and then we can all talk in a big PM pow wow.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5718 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Well here's the thing: if lunatik tells you the components in a PM then you won't need to buy steam 2.

IMO That's worse than exposure. I suggest you buy it and then we can all talk in a big PM pow wow.

Good advice by Saysold1.

@ Elliot Marx

Once you have 50 posts the 'Banquet Room' will open up for you. You can then gain lot of info on STEAM here:-

The Magic Café Forum Index » » Inner thoughts » » Steam by Ali Nouira
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

. . . but you first need to quickly get your 50 posts on the Café. As I see you are 3 posts short. Smile

Smile
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Steam method is very baffling, up to the performer to make the routine equally as impressive.
Steam 1.0 required some prep and effort and some R&D depending on conditions to have everything running smooth, that's why its sat doing nothing in peoples magic drawers gone are the days of effort in trick preparation for great rewards magicians have become very lazy these days.
I haven't seen PH 2.0 but if its made the process smoother congrats to the PH camp.
chrismatt have you spoken to the PH team to understand if there is any conflict with your previously published routines booklets?
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Thanks Brett, fair point. Certainly wasn't looking to circumvent the process; my question probably could've been worded differently.

I've pre-ordered this so all will become clear.

I own Ghost so the principle is familiar. I'm sure I'll be learning more as other doors open...
Willie mcgregor
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Willie mcgregor
Agreed Saysold 1
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5718 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

Curious about the Mark Salem thing - would love to hear more.

This what I found:-

In one of Marc Salem's video, Marc Salem does mention that he stumbled upon a new method (we know it by The STEAM Principle) about 20 years ago by fluke. This video was a Penguin Magic release some time during mid-2015.

The name of this download video is 'Visions' - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6036

Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

Correct. You'll need to own Steam to know what you can purchase on your own for cheap and what you might want to buy from the creator for refills. If I were you, I'd just buy Steam 2 and let your mind run wild. You can also at that point have a PM-fest with the rest of us Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
Yep, that's the plan... Cheers fellas. Smile
pelicantrapper
View Profile
Regular user
VA
197 Posts

Profile of pelicantrapper
Pre Ordered. Will review after I receive it.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
A added heat source is not necessary.
The hand covering (not new) serves another important purpose (the most important: pr*****e / b*r***r).

If we talk about palms and Steam: Mr. Mindbender should be mentioned for his brilliant Steam idea!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Looking forward to this shipping.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL