We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..23~24~25 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10646 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Hmmm don't care much for that particular method as the performer Kyle is essentially scribbling over the actual imp - kinda meh.

Who came up with that?

Is that what Bro Gilbert teaches on the DVD?

I'm sure whoever came up with it will brag about killing the evidence - but it is inelegant IMO.

Also the peek seems at the wrong time.

To me the cleanest is to use a simple small memo pad available at any Walgreens. You could then even have the spectator hand the pad back to you. You can then have all the time in the world to get what you need and even use the pad to write what you are receiving.

The key word is isolation.

For this project they perhaps should have brought in someone with a deep understanding of mentalism ideas.

But thank you Kyle for showing an unedited performance.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
CSArscott
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of CSArscott
An interesting way to do it.
Chris
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
680 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Hmmm don't care much for that particular method as the performer Kyle is essentially scribbling over the actual imp - kinda meh.

Who came up with that?

I'm sure whoever came up with it will brag about killing the evidence - but it is inelegant IMO.

To me the cleanest is to use a simple small memo pad available at any Walgreens. You could then even have the spectator hand the pad back to you. You can then have all the time in the world to get what you need and even use the pad to write what you are receiving.

For this project they perhaps should have brought in someone with a deep understanding of mentalism ideas.

Saysold;

As I trust your opinion 100%

Did you mention earlier in this thread that you prefer Psypher?

I don't own any Impression devices by the way, I'm curious to jump on the bandwagon tho.

brandon
dj
View Profile
Special user
962 Posts

Profile of dj
The Mentalist Chester Sass from Germany has released in 2010 a routine called the "What if ...?"
It is based on the Steam principle.
With Chester´s routine you get the script, business card holder (aluminum), "What If ...?" business cards and much gimmicks.
Chester Sass used no envelopes (as in the Steam 2.0), but business card holder.
I hope I didn´t reveal too much.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1345 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:

Who came up with that?

Writing over the imp is how they can claim that you don't ditch anything and wind up 100% clean. When I first heard that, I thought it was a mistake and then figured that's what they had to do.

At least that's my guess.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
Thanks Kyle! That's great. Now we can fairly compare moves/dirty work and make an informed decision on if this is right for us. I like it, and think it has a place next to Billets, NW and electronic methods. Thank you again. I'll buy it from vanishing inc because they're the first and only company to give an honest demo. Nice work, man.

Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, VanishingInc wrote:
Hey guys

Here is a full performance. Unfortunately I had no one to perform it for so it's direct to the camera.

-Kyle
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1345 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, VanishingInc wrote:
Hey guys

Here is a full performance. Unfortunately I had no one to perform it for so it's direct to the camera.

-Kyle

It seems like it was just a bad coincidence, but after the trailer deliberately left out the part about something being put on top (and people mentioning that it was left out) and then your Q&A leaving that out as well, you seem to have understood (based on your comments above) why it seemed like it was deliberate even though it wasn't.

Thanks for providing a full performance for people to see.
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
I don't understand why some people are making a big deal about the trailer. Maybe because I know how it's done. I'm glad that those some people didn't get this when it was a french ad, and written instructions. Everything in the trailer and performance is justified. The way I use it, I have them write a card they are thinking ofdown and then I have them place the deck on top of what they wrote. The "reason" so you don't think I can see through the card.

I have no doubt that once you find out the method, you will love it. But then again I'm sure some people are going to complain about not being able to use a pen or a pencil. So stop acting like babies.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
No one is acting like a baby, they're asking fair questions...

on the subject of justification...i have a question...

in the real world, at what point would you have something secret hidden safely away inside an envelope, but then take it out of the envelope, and then rest it on top? and then, when there's proof that you have something else papery to write on (the card inside the envelope) its not a huge jump to think that you could easily carry two of those things inside the same envelope is it?

so for me, its an illogical use of an everyday object...if I have something secret written down, I wouldn't put it on the table and cover it with an envelope - I'd put the thing inside the envelope...its pretty much the ONLY use for an envelope! (maybe as a big for a very small child? fold the flap back and tuck it into their top?)...

not knocking the method - just I think the premise of the envelope doesn't work logically...
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10646 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Exactly.

They should have had a mentalist do the DVD.

Me? I just have the spectator or me put the pad top on the face down card etc to isolate.

Also to be clear I like steam more than psypher because it is so friggin cool.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
My rant was about people who complained about them editing out replacing the envelope on top. I personally don't like that presentation. You don't have to use envelopes, you can place anything on top, a book, deck of cards, pad of papper.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I know you can do that...

however, its one of the routines they are including in with the package, so that's why its part of the discussion...

and yes, as Kyle has demonstrated, they could have (and probably should have) kept it in their original trailer too...its not like they have to show anything else afterwards, just the bit leading up to the important stuff...

i have the original, it works well enough - people just want a fair baseline in which to make a judgement call...that's all...(in this case, sometimes people get waaaaaaaaaay out of line)...

in the spiel for this release, they focus on the pointlessness of b*ll*t p**ks and wallets and so on, saying how you have to do certain things with it to make it work, mix those comments in with the editing of the vid - its a little bit of a double standard...because you have to 'something' to make this work too! and putting an empty envelope on top of a card, and then writing on an envelope is illogical (captain)...

which detracts from the goodness within the steam method...
I've asked to be banned
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5718 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

* Hmmm don't care much for that particular method as the performer Kyle is essentially scribbling over the actual imp - kinda meh.

* I'm sure whoever came up with it will brag about killing the evidence - but it is inelegant IMO.

Kyle could have handled this better by using another normal Sharpie with a broad tip (say chisel tip) and not use the one by the spectator. This would help prolong the life of the special Sharpie as well as make it much easy to cover the impression quickly & easily with just a single stroke of the broad tip Sharpie.

My thoughts! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Exactly the reason for my rant.

Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, IAIN wrote:
(in this case, sometimes people get waaaaaaaaaay out of line)...

in the spiel for this release, they focus on the pointlessness of b*ll*t p**ks and wallets and so on, saying how you have to do certain things with it to make it work, mix those comments in with the editing of the vid - its a little bit of a double standard...because you have to 'something' to make this work too! and putting an empty envelope on top of a card, and then writing on an envelope is illogical (captain)...

which detracts from the goodness within the steam method...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5590 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, Krazyjay wrote:
I don't understand why some people are making a big deal about the trailer. Maybe because I know how it's done.

Uh, yeah..I think already knowing how it's done makes a huge, gigantic, enormous difference.
C'mon now, take a deep breath and relax and don't get Krazy jay.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Write on this card, put this envelope over the top, put your hands on top...let's wait a few seconds...now I'll take the envelope back and write something remarkably similar to yours.

...and you're saying that method is more streamlined than simply glimpsing an imp pad as you place it away? IMO even a CT is more straight forward.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I'll be buying this as I've heard about the principle and it sounds interesting. But I do get why people get annoyed when peaks are pitched as cleaner than they are. Lets face it; we all have pads, wallets etc etc but they typically have that downside that you have to touch the card, the pad or whatever, so the differentiator is often that lack of touch. That said; I think its fair to say that unless you buy a top end product which will remain nameless; chances are you will need to touch the pad, the billet, the card or something associated with the procedure.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote from Saysold1

I do something similar and I end up clean after using the pad,the pad method is the best way by far and I struggle to see a better method with this Steam 2.0 to tell you the truth and that is the reason I have not invested in it because the first one with a little imagination just ticks all the box's.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
915 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, Zuke wrote:
Write on this card, put this envelope over the top, put your hands on top...let's wait a few seconds...now I'll take the envelope back and write something remarkably similar to yours.

...and you're saying that method is more streamlined than simply glimpsing an imp pad as you place it away? IMO even a CT is more straight forward.

It is really unfortunate that they are portraying this principle this way. One can come up with quite a few other justifications that make sense.

Even the demo of Kyle while to the point is rather weak. I hope the other routines are better. The routine I saw of Steam V1 with money bills (in this thread) is actually killer and makes sense.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, PHSIS wrote:
Hello again. Just wanted to clarify

Regarding the video demo. It's always a tough call on these things. In this case we edited around an innocent subtlety that would mean nothing to a spectator. But on the Café it would likely inspire the typical 20 questions scenario that leads to public exposure of the beautiful method.

This may be a futile attempt to protect the secret..but we are trying our best to honor the method and the creators as well as the magi who are trying to make an informed decision.

Janet Harris

So this misleading Demo has resulted in 45 Posts

Yes 45 Posts !

Also lets not forget Steam has already been shown unedited on Penn and Teller Fool Us
It never attracted any comments from Penn at All

This Demo has done more harm than good

Let's hope that all producers have now got the message

If you can't post a clear unedited Demo

Then don't post one at all
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL