We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..23~24~25 [Next]
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, pelicantrapper wrote:
I watched Etiennes performance on fool us and I really do like how the box goes over the card because it seems so natural. 2 business cards does not. But hey, maybe they worked it into the routine perfectly.
I recently received Psypher 2. I know I am late but I'm trying to pick the advantages and disadvantages of them both. But right now they are looking rather similar.

Once you know Steam, can't you adapt it to anything you want? If the special something is easy to source, can't you use a card box instead of a business card if you wanted to??? Even if that is not how they teach the new version.
Thanks!

I think your right and providing the chemicals are used then I guess I does not matter what is used as the 'top' object. I think they have tried to go down the route of making the 'gimmicks' as organic as possible. The downside of this is yes as organic as they are, this may not reflect in it being the most logical in performance I guess
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2096 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
The PH team is usually pretty good in answering our questions. Hope they drop by here soon.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
The question isn't of how organic the gimmicks are made to look. Any Routine/performance must have logic and reasoning. The performer cannot ask the spectator to add an object and then later, just before the revelation, takes the added object from the spectator. As far as possible such actions should be avoided.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Totally agree, but I think they have decided to solve the 'logic' and 'reasoning' by introducing organic gimmicks. Alas this still doesn't alter what is perceived logical in actions when performing it like you said. For me I would need a good reason and justification why I say to cover their card with an envelope/other card then have them cover their hands over everything. When they back track they too will ask them self the question of why that extra envelope/card had to put on top of the signed card - when he's not going to see anyway as my hands are/were covering it.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Plus I don't for a minute think that I or anyone else with the same feelings on this logic and reasoning are over thinking anything. Or "we are thinking to much like a magician" this would honestly be a thought process of a normal lay person when trying to work out how you knew the word/drawing etc.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3778 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Organic gimmicks do not improve an effect if their use does not make sense. A potato is organic but I'm not sure it would significantly improve a drawing dupe.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi all.

Good questions. All actions during performance are properly
motivated and appear completely innocent and logical to the audience.

I think your going to love this thing!

Janet Harris
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9305 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, PHSIS wrote:
Hi all.

Janet Harris

Then why edit it out of the demo?
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
Hi all.

Janet Harris

Hi Janet and thanks for the post and letting us know. It would be great if you could please mention what is said at the time to the spectator as a logical and justified reason to putting the additional envelope/card on top of theirs please, before they then cover everything with their hands.
Many thanks
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Just give us an unedited demo. If it's good people will buy. Remember this is not a routine you are selling. U r selling a gimmick. You have nothing to lose by releasing a proper demo : unless the use of the gimmick is suspect. I for one know STEAM already. I will not support any effect that relies on custom props where the creator refuses to give a proper demonstration.
There is no holy grail!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
Sorry Janet, I love you and Paul but that is not a satisfying answer. The big claim here is that you have eclipsed the standard methods of obtaining information including billets and wallets (which are also motivated by the way) So how can you possibly convince me of that without showing the performance. It's like me saying I've created a vanish that's cleaner and more motivated than other vanishes out there and then cut out the moment the coin is vanished. Why show a video at all? I think the comments here say it all.

Quote:
Hi all.

Janet Harris
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of markhitton
There is a video cut .
The performer talks about a envelope
I just see a billet and a pen
Is the envelope used as support for writing?
If the method is what Ustaad tells I think can be a steam improved .
Smile
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1307 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
This one seems to have been the re-launch of a utility that seems to have been languishing in many people's bottom drawer.

I think it's perfectly obvious that the effect needs something placed on the specs card and its down to how that's justified.

But from memory you needed to press the other object quite firmly against the written on card and you needed to do it all relatively quickly ?

Have these aspects been improved.?
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
The spectators hands (when asked to cover everything)are the weight device to be pushed down on the envelope that is on top of the card they signed - I think
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
The edited bit in case of any confusion with others or wondering about what is edited, is what happens to the envelope that was on top of their card as she then puts her hand on top of everything, as the next frame shows her lift her hand and turn the card over. So there is a scene missing where she then lifts her hand up, the envelope is removed, then her hand is placed back down on the card ready for the final reveal of lifting her hand again to turn over the card.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2096 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
...I think we have revealed too much here...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, pelicantrapper wrote:
I watched Etiennes performance on fool us and I really do like how the box goes over the card because it seems so natural. 2 business cards does not. But hey, maybe they worked it into the routine perfectly.
I recently received Psypher 2. I know I am late but I'm trying to pick the advantages and disadvantages of them both. But right now they are looking rather similar.

Once you know Steam, can't you adapt it to anything you want? If the special something is easy to source, can't you use a card box instead of a business card if you wanted to??? Even if that is not how they teach the new version.
Thanks!

You can adapt it to anything
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Ray Chelt wrote:
This one seems to have been the re-launch of a utility that seems to have been languishing in many people's bottom drawer.

I think it's perfectly obvious that the effect needs something placed on the specs card and its down to how that's justified.

But from memory you needed to press the other object quite firmly against the written on card and you needed to do it all relatively quickly ?

Have these aspects been improved.?

Not my drawer. I use at every large show.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4403 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I still use steam,i love it and I use it many different ways,so I am happy with it the way it is,not sure you could improve on how this is used weather it be a card box ,cash e.t.c.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
Hi all.

Janet Harris

Why do we go through these same machinations every release? Couldn't Titanis with his knowledge,
input and creativity get things back on track?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steam 2.0 by Ali Nouira (134 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL