The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eillo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Eillo
I'm very, very new to magic, and I'm currently trying to teach myself a few card tricks and close-up tricks. As well as this I'm learning some flourishes and basic sleights, although I find I'm struggling slightly as I have quite small hands, and find myself stumbling with a deck of cards. Is the problem really my tiny hands? Or is this just a poor excuse and practice is the answer? I'm often finding myself thinking "This would be a whole load easier if I had bigger hands" - Is this the case with card magic? And if so, does anyone have any pointers towards things that are easier to grasp with smaller hands?
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Hand size is irrelevant. You just need practice.

P!
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Ado wrote:
Hand size is irrelevant. You just need practice.

P!

True, but there are a few things you might consider to make things easier on yourself. Use bridge size cards instead of poker size. Use quarters instead of half dollars, sponge balls come in different sizes, etc. find the size that works for you and yes, practice.
vannma
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of vannma
Also, manipulation cards are much thinner, you may try those.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The problem is that you THINK your problem is the size of your hands, therefore your focus is on that problem and it is holding you back. Plenty of magicians with small hands (we ALL had them at one time!) just ignored the hand size and learned to deal with it as their hands grew. Meanwhile, we did what humans do best when confronted with such problems - we adapted. We found smaller props, or found ways to handle larger objects with small hands. My own "hobby within a hobby" is converting card tricks performed with "regular sized" playing cards into jumbo and super jumbo card tricks where EVERYONE'S hands are "too" small.
Eillo
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Eillo
Thanks for the replies, looks like more practice is the answer! Although I'll pick up a bridge size deck sometime soon as well, and a good point about coins and sponge balls too, as these are things I'd like to experiment with in the very near future!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL