The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Shocked Quarter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4254 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just curious if anyone has picked up one of Mark Mason's Deep Dish Shells (Shell-Shocked) in US quarters? And what their thoughts on it are?
Although certainly not necessary, I was thinking it could be a small yet subtle improvement if used for the popular Imagination Coins routine.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4693 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have heard nothing but good things about the deep dish shells.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4254 Posts

Profile of videoman
I can attest to that myself. I own a deep dish in a very soft Morgan and it is wonderful for my Victorian Coins in Glass routine.
Because I already own several quarter shells in both eagle and state I can't really justify the expense for the quarter version just to gain a tad bit extra depth.
However, I could be probably be convinced otherwise if I were to see enough rave reviews about it.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Oddly enough, the shell that came with my Imagination Coins is great - definitely the best quarter shell I own.

With regard to the shell-shocked shells from Mark Mason/Bob Swadling, I have one in Walking Liberty half dollar size. While the depth is nice the diameter is pretty much over-sized. If you look at the stack of W/L half $'s that came with mine from the side you can easily see the shell. It's that much wider than the regular coins. (Unlike my Lassen Barber shell, and even my Lassen clad Kennedy shell... It's difficult to pick both of those out even from a side view in a stack!)

Thanks!

Jim
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1945 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I had a WL Shell Shocked set for a while, and _because_ it's deep enough to provide full coverage, as you say below, it's clearly "thicker" than the other coins. I suspect that the smaller the coins get (dollar->half->quarter) this issue gets magnified as the shell thickness likely remains constant but becomes an ever increasing proportion of the thickness of the real coins. Pretty much the same issue when viewing a nested shell "mouth up". Easy with dollars, more noticeable with halves and quarters.

I think whether this discrepancy is preferable to less than 100% coverage is a matter of choice/taste, and mostly irrelevant as that sort of side display that begs for comparison shouldn't be made anyway.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv73h1j8m5wqlo......9.06.jpg

Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, J-Mac wrote:
Oddly enough, the shell that came with my Imagination Coins is great - definitely the best quarter shell I own.

With regard to the shell-shocked shells from Mark Mason/Bob Swadling, I have one in Walking Liberty half dollar size. While the depth is nice the diameter is pretty much over-sized. If you look at the stack of W/L half $'s that came with mine from the side you can easily see the shell. It's that much wider than the regular coins. (Unlike my Lassen Barber shell, and even my Lassen clad Kennedy shell... It's difficult to pick both of those out even from a side view in a stack!)

Thanks!

Jim
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Do you still have this picture somewhere? The link seems broken. Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1945 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
Do you still have this picture somewhere? The link seems broken. Smile

Hopefully this will work...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a6yn7ua5ua06b......9.06.jpg
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Yup, that one works - very nice, thanks!
Out of curiosity, can you do an edge palm (or even a classic palm) with the deep shell and not have the inner coin fall out? It occurs to me that that's one benefit of one without complete coverage - you end up making contact with both...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4693 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
Yup, that one works - very nice, thanks!
Out of curiosity, can you do an edge palm (or even a classic palm) with the deep shell and not have the inner coin fall out? It occurs to me that that's one benefit of one without complete coverage - you end up making contact with both...

Actually, I have found that most edge grip / palm info I have come across, the shell has the opening upwards making the question irrelevant. Smile (not to say it was a bad question, just that I have never seen it used that way)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Ahh, interesting. I guess that you how much I've read about those... hence my considering expanding, I guess. (pun intended)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Shocked Quarter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL