The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Never There by Morgan Strebler and SansMinds (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2259 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Barts185, this can only be done for people with no inclination to check there deleted folder, etc.
Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
Well said Marc O.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7232 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
Barts185, this can only be done for people with no inclination to check there deleted folder, etc.

Oh dear.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3670 Posts

Profile of JanForster
So, you could do it with me as I've just discovered this folder on my iPhone due to the ongoing discussion here Smile Just kidding, even my younger daughter (still 12) knows that folder... But I guess there is a way taught how to empty it as well during performance. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7232 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
190 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2016, JanForster wrote:
So, you could do it with me as I've just discovered this folder on my iPhone due to the ongoing discussion here Smile Just kidding, even my younger daughter (still 12) knows that folder... But I guess there is a way taught how to empty it as well during performance. Jan

Is there a way taught to empty the deleted folder? (I would not be a happy camper if I found my deleted folder emptied...)
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2016, WolfgangStiller wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2016, JanForster wrote:

Is there a way taught to empty the deleted folder? (I would not be a happy camper if I found my deleted folder emptied...)

I think we can all assume this is NOT Taught on the DVD as it is Not Possible to Wipe this in one go you have to select (Tick Box) the Photo's you want to completley Remove
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1844 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Creator: Morgan Strebler
Publisher: Sans Minds
MSRP: $ 20
Skill Level: Beginner
DVD Run time: 19:35

Type of effect: Magician Disappears from a spectator's phone

Manufacturer's Write Up:

What if you have the ability to go back in time and erase your past? From the mind of Morgan Strebler, we present "Never There."

Imagine taking a picture with a spectator. But before the spectator wants to post it on any social media platforms, you erase yourself from the photo. An insane illusion that is done with a borrowed phone.

*No special app is required
*Borrowed smart phone
*Works on any smart phone brand

You have to check out the live performance in the trailer now!

How accurate is the ad copy? This is exactly what happens

What's in the box? 20 minute DVD

Key points: You don't need anything, this can be done impromptu at any time.

How are the production values: It's Morgan talking to you on a couch. It's not "highly technical."

Is it well taught: Morgan gives you some good advice, but I would have appreciated more tips for other models of phone besides the iphone.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked that this is a trick that doesn't require anything to perform. It's a nice "disappearing effect" that you can do anytime. Using someone's personal phone and integrating it with social media is a cool modern approach. Plus it also leaves the spectator with a very modern "souvenir."

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" Nothing is needed

Does it "play big?" This would be a terrific closer to any mentalism routine.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) It can because it works as a "selfie" or if a friend takes the picture. I would argue that "practice" is key here. It's going to mean you are proficient and comfortable "play acting" at the same time as you are "fiddling" with someone's borrowed phone. This isn't going to work "straight out of the box" expect to do a lot of "behind the scenes" work.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZObKavUu4
New Magic / Playing Card Reviews EACH WEDNESDAY
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
190 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Nice review. What are your thoughts on the deleted photos issue?
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of academy
This reminds me Impression by Jason Yu.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4066 Posts

Profile of videoman
David, normally I like and agree with your reviews but I think you were too easy on this one.
I received it and sent it right back for a refund.

While I suppose this effect can be pulled off successfully it's just way too much trouble for me, and I'm not referring to practice. I would just worry too much about the before and after photos looking too dissimilar, I mean people aren't stupid. As others have said, this should have been a trick maybe written up in a magazine and included with the cost of a subscription. It's not even so much that I couldn't pull it off, I just wouldn't want to bother.

The nuances and subtleties described on the video consist entirely of "playing dumb". You have to act like a moron who has never seen a smartphone before.
Not to mention that this rules out performing for family, friends, colleagues, and anyone who knows what kind of phone you have or how technologically ignorant you are (or aren't.). And playing dumb isn't really bringing anything new to the table, that ruse has been done since the beginning of time. Plus, it doesn't fit the performing style of my character and I doubt it would fit well for many.

If that were all of it I would have simply stuck it in a drawer and chalked it off as a loss, but to me this was a really half-baked idea that while it shows some potential, as a purchaser I shouldn't have to be the one to put it in the oven and turn it into a cake.
Magic McKing
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Magic McKing
Here's the review from Wizard Product folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKlb8uTwJA

After some time invested in this, love it. So practical. I think the WPR review is spot on.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of academy
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, Magic McKing wrote:

After some time invested in this, love it. So practical. I think the WPR review is spot on.

Sometimes I miss Craig Petty. I remember WPR rule was 90% up means they would perform a trick not "I will give it a try". This is not the first time WPR gives high scores to impractical tricks. I'm also impressed woth how much time nowaday magicians spend for video editing rather than coming up with solid magic.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1844 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
"Nice review. What are your thoughts on the deleted photos issue?"

I'm not an iphone user, so I had no idea about this cloud thing.... you guys have clouds? See this is why I hate MACS Smile
New Magic / Playing Card Reviews EACH WEDNESDAY
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1734 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, academy wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes I miss Craig Petty. I remember WPR rule was 90% up means they would perform a trick not "I will give it a try". This is not the first time WPR gives high scores to impractical tricks. I'm also impressed woth how much time nowaday magicians spend for video editing rather than coming up with solid magic.

WPR Must have over ordered and want to shift them fast

Not the first time they have over rated Sansminds product

Must have listened to one of Titanas sales pitches !
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of baobow
A review posted on mylovelyassistant

http://mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/5095
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
605 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, academy wrote:
Quote:

WPR Must have over ordered and want to shift them fast

Not the first time they have over rated Sansminds product

Must have listened to one of Titanas sales pitches !

It's hard to take you're opinion seriously about sansminds stuff. You let your obvious bias overwhelm the actual product on every thread. I wonder how many of the effects you actually have and have a real valid opinion on. This is pretty good as has been contrast, compress, extract, oh snap, and cornered recently released very good sansminds tricks. This has gotten very good reviews from all the actual review sites. There's another 5 star review over at my lovely assistant. No offense but I'll take their actual hands on opinions over you're speculative bashing.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2259 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have it. Not sure I have the nerve to work out the kinks. If anybody's working it let us know
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I just got this. I really like it. Lots of points to the trick Morgan makes. It will need practice. I'm going to try it after I play around for a while.
One thing, a lot of phones still make a shutter sound even when muted. I just cover the speaker with my thumb on iPhones.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7232 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Would you like to be able to photobomb a group photo that YOU, YOURSELF, take, with a borrowed phone?
You have a half-size cardboard cutout of yourself (same clothes hairstyle etc) that your accomplish holds, hidden from view. When the group get in position facing you, your friend holds up and hides behind the cutout just behind the group.

Either that or you are lucky enough to be an identical twin. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Never There by Morgan Strebler and SansMinds (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL