The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to check if a method or routine is 'new'? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
While studying, practicing and performing, one of the things that I am striving for is to come up with my own approach to each routine. Others have wisely advised not to copy another performer, but adapt what you learn to to make it part of your own character and style. I'm really trying to do that, to take different ideas I've learned and combine them into something new.

Initially I got pretty excited when I came up with something I think is really great. Then it occurred to me that while it may be new to me, someone else probably already came up with the idea, maybe a long time ago. This happened again with a second idea I stumbled upon that I thought was new and original. But then again, maybe it's not new at all.

One of the things I've noticed in some newer items I've purchased is in most cases the methods are not new, only the routines.

To be clear I'm not thinking about writing up any of my routines anytime soon. Nowhere near ready for that. But one day I hope to publish something of value that I have developed, refined and perfected over many performances.

Before that time comes, I can search here and google to see if the idea is already out there. In addition to those, what are the recommended ways to check and find out if someone has already come up and published the method or routine? Or something really similar?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
818 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Mark Striving speaks at lenght about this topic during his second penguin lecture.

The best way is to read as much as you can on the subject and, when you feel ready to publish an idea, to seek the knowledge of experts on that matter.
Even then you will publish ideas that are not as original as you might think. At least you will be able to correct yourself.

Knowing that "every idea is already published until proved otherwise", to quote Mark striving, is a good starting point Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
You should be learned by the time you come up with your own publication. If not you have published too early. That's what I think.

You can't Google and get a list of magic concepts that have already been done. It takes experience and experience takes time.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Houdini Trix
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
18 Posts

Profile of Houdini Trix
The Conjuring Arts Research Center and Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive are two very good resources for this kind of thing. Besides that, anyone you know who has their own library and knowledge of magic is a good resource and they are mostly an email away.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2624 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Yup. Read absolutely everything. Takes a few years. But you'll be glad you did.
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Thank you all very much for offering your excellent suggestions. Much appreciated!
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
You need to publish it, if it's not original than within minutes you'll find out... From 101 messages in your inbox calling you an ***
Reader discretion is advised.
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, Michael Zarek wrote:
You need to publish it, if it's not original than within minutes you'll find out... From 101 messages in your inbox calling you an ***

:) That's one way, I guess.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, Michael Zarek wrote:

Probably the fastest way for sure.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
544 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Great advise by Michael Zarek. I think probably the best advise for would be magic creators and possibly the shortest one like John pointed out. Really enjoyed this thread. Thanks Michael.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to check if a method or routine is 'new'? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL