The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fist Full of Dollars by Gregory Wilson (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Competition for Triad Coins?

Looks pretty cool, anything from Greg Wilson is going to be great. Easily one of my favorite creators.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6731
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
That (like everything Greg does) was fun to watch!
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
I agree, very entertaining
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
This is on his In Action vol. 1 dvd.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Does this use a gaff coin?
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
302 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
I assume so
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, Romano911 wrote:
Does this use a gaff coin?

Penguin gives you a choice between Halfs or Ikes, so it seems like it's probably Greg's take on using gaffs similar (if not identical) to Triad Coins.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
I've been doing this since I got his in action set. To quote Penn and Teller, it uses a turtle. It's an amazingly well thought out routine. I'm curious to see if he's made any changes since he put this out in In Action
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
One nice thing about Triad Coins is that the first 2 coins vanish pretty cleanly.
I would be curious to know if there is an extra ditch involved in Greg's version. Sounds like there is.
A pitch & ditch, or pitstop perhaps?

I'd like to see Greg's handling because I'm a big fan of his work. I just wish the routine were sold separately as I already have the coins.
I guess I'll have to see how much his Action DVD costs. But I also think that a lot may have changed since that was released.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......umes-13/ <-- best investment in magic I ever made
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......umes-13/ <-- best investment in magic I ever made

Thanks for sharing.

Added to my wish list
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
In Action was pretty good but I will always have to revert back to one of the first magic VHS tapes I ever bought. "Double Take", It changed my magic 100%. Made me feel like a "Real Magician".

As for Fist Full of Dollars, I'm sure (as with all his releases) he has probably added some fine tuning over the years. If the gimmick and 2 regular coins are even of decent quality, It is worth getting for anyone who does not already own "In Action" (and a single turtle) Smile You will pay almost the retail price for the coins and gaff alone (again, if you don't have them already - and most will, especially if you are at the stage in your coin magic that you can pull off the sleights. They are not highly advanced, but require basic and intermediate SOH skills). "Triad" guesses are off... But... If you have a Triad set and one extra regular coin. You have what you need (plus one thing you won't).

Too bad this is not sold as a "Download only" as a third option for those who do not have "In Action" but do have the required set as well as someone who may want to purchase it just for any updated material that may be covered. I fall into another category as I only use Walkers (when it comes to halves) and Morgans (for dollar coins) so even if I did not have "In Action" or a "Turtle", it just wouldn't be for me. (Luckily I have both and if a download only version becomes available with a review that says it is more in depth, I would still probably pick that up just because it is Gregory Wilson and his material is always worth further study).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hey PD - price doesn’t seem too bad, even though as you mentioned I already have all the coins and gaffs I need. One issue is that Penguin isn't saying who makes the supplied gaff - someone asked that very question on the product page and the Penguin rep that answered skirted the question by saying only that they are "...professionally made...", which tells me that it isn't anyone known for their coin gaffs.

Additionally, if there is only one "turtle" supplied as a gaff then why on earth is the Ike edition $30 more than the Kennedy half edition?!

Thank you.

Jim
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Kueppers has both listed (as a turtle) on Penguin. Ike being $55 (although out of stock as a stand alone purchase) and Kennedy $27. With "Fist Full of Dollars", you also get the 2 normal coins needed and the DVD (or download, however they are doing that part) so I kind of see the $30 difference if it is him making them. Pure speculation on my part though. (I have "In Action" and he uses Morgan Dollars on that taping). I will play around with both Walkers and Morgans and see which I like more. The main "Snap Production" I am finding very difficult with the larger coin right now but that may get better with practice. I have slowly been moving up to Morgans since I do have pretty large hands. I just always found halves easy, so I stuck with them. Now I am trying to challenge myself more. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
If you have the gaff than the DVD set is the way to go. Great value
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I too wish that Penguin would release a download without the coins as well. Gregory Wilson is always worth watching even if the updates are sparse. I have too many "turtles" already and surely don't want to add another.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, Jared wrote:
I too wish that Penguin would release a download without the coins as well. Gregory Wilson is always worth watching even if the updates are sparse. I have too many "turtles" already and surely don't want to add another.

Agreed! I would probably purchase a download only option.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
If a DL was offered for under $10 (and many are) I would own it already without a doubt.
Don't think it comes with a DVD but if it does we'll probably be seeing a lot of "DVD only" soon in the for sale forum.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, flipped wrote:
This is on his In Action vol. 1 dvd.

He also released it before that on the A-1 Convention at the Capital video in 1998.

I just watched the download for the new release. It's very thorough, 28 minutes long, all the moves are shown clearly and with slow motion repeats and explanation. Best part I thought was how Wilson, as he's progressing through his explanation of the routine, flags pitfalls and little things to avoid doing at various points. There's a lot of "here's why I do it this way and not that way" which is very helpful. This is a routine he's been doing for decades, and he passes along the thinking behind every aspect of it. The routining is very well thought out and uses a variety of simple sleights. I especially like the vanish at the end. Haven't received the coins yet (I ordered Ikes), so can't comment on the quality of the gimmick.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Received the coins today. The gaff seems to be more or less Johnson quality. If you put it right alongside the regular coins, you really can't tell the difference even up close. Everything fits as it should - not too tight or loose, no snags. The two regular coins have been circulated and look it, one with just a bit of tarnish in one spot, which is fine with me. Not entirely sure, but I'm guessing that the gaff was made from a very lightly circulated coin as well. The edges of the regular coins have no nicks or damage, so no problems there. I could polish everything up, but probably won't. The set comes in a small ziplock bag inside of a nice durable storage tin that's just the right size for the coins. Considering the price, the coins, the gaff, and the routine and tips, I'm very happy with total package.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fist Full of Dollars by Gregory Wilson (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL