The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triception coin set by Bob Swalding and Mark Mason (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
First proper post everyone, so go easy.

Anyone have any opinions on this coin set, been reading some reviews and seen its the best set for the money it costs, I'm just getting into coin magic seriously and don't want to buy cheap /] and ] just to buy more later on, would appreciate your opinions, thanks.

-P
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
You will not be sorry. It's a fantastic set.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2016, RCP wrote:
You will not be sorry. It's a fantastic set.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Thanks a lot, had a read at this earlier and was wanting to get more opinions before I went and bought it, 135 pounds is steep for a first coin set so wanting to get a good idea of how it is, weather it's worth investing more in the "better" brands, but this looks like an ideal price between quality and affordability, just looking for opinions before I jump in, learned my lesson with a few products I've bought and it just ends up in the top drawer to be forgot about. Thanks for the reply.

-P
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Peter, if you want opinions, do a Café search on "Triception". Believe me, you'll see no shortage of reviews and thought from folks at the Café over the last few years, and their opinions won't be any worse than any newer ones you may find.

Here's mine: Bob Swadling makes very good quality items, and Mark Mason is exceptional when it comes to customer service. If you want the items found in "Triception," I don't think you'll find many - if any - who would criticize a purchase decision.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
The other factor you need to consider is the time.
Ordering similar components from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft could take months.
Depending on what Mark Mason has in stock at the time you order you may have a bit of a wait for a Triception set. But it's almost certain that you won't need to wait as long as you would for Lassen or Schoolcraft, and thre's a very good chance it will be in stock for immediate delivery.
Another factor is that Lassen and Schoolcraft can be much harder to contact and that can cause frustrations too.

But then again, there is certainly nothing wrong with getting a couple things from Johnson or Tango to get your feet wet.
And if you decide to upgrade in the future you will have a practice set, which is nice to have, and could also use it as a back-up.
The more you get into it the more you will discover what you like and need and what you don't, and you may find that certain other things present themselves as well. For instance, you might get an idea for a great storyline for a routine. But the only problem may be that in order to perform it you need a "tails" shell but you bought a "heads". There are a lot of things along those lines that could possibly pop up.
So I wouldn't be afraid to look at the used market as well. I just this week sold 2 Johnson ex shells, one heads and the other tails, and each for under $20. When you get more than 50 posts you will have access to the buy/sell forum here on the Café. Many times using a cheaper gaff is like swinging a lead bat, when you get a truly precision set suddenly moves and sleights may become easier.

Chances are whatever you buy first won't be what you end up using the rest of your life. When I first decided I wanted to use larger dollar sized coins I bought Ike gaffs, and couldn't understand why anyone would spend a fortune on Morgans because the spectators don't care, it's the same effect, right?
I thought these "silver elitists" were silly. Well guess what? Now I'm one of them and only use Morgans.

I know it's common for folks to not want to waste money and get the end all, be all from the get go, but that rarely happens. Over time your tastes and needs will almost certainly change.
Get something basic and cheap to start off and start practicing right away. Don't waste time saving up for the ultimate coin gaff. You can still always get that later and you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Now having said that, I'm going to come full circle and say the Swadling Triception set is probably the best bang for the buck currently available and checks off pretty much all the boxes for folks who aren't sure what they want or what they are going to need.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, Chessmann wrote:
Peter, if you want opinions, do a Café search on "Triception". Believe me, you'll see no shortage of reviews and thought from folks at the Café over the last few years, and their opinions won't be any worse than any newer ones you may find.

Here's mine: Bob Swadling makes very good quality items, and Mark Mason is exceptional when it comes to customer service. If you want the items found in "Triception," I don't think you'll find many - if any - who would criticize a purchase decision.

Thanks a lot chessman, just spent an hour reading through all topics on the triception coin set, got my mind set on buying it, I've emailed jb to see if he can throw in some matching ungaffed coins with the set for an extra few pounds, just waiting on his reply before I go ahead and purchase it. Thanks

-P
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, videoman wrote:
The other factor you need to consider is the time.
Ordering similar components from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft could take months.
Depending on what Mark Mason has in stock at the time you order you may have a bit of a wait for a Triception set. But it's almost certain that you won't need to wait as long as you would for Lassen or Schoolcraft, and thre's a very good chance it will be in stock for immediate delivery.
Another factor is that Lassen and Schoolcraft can be much harder to contact and that can cause frustrations too.

But then again, there is certainly nothing wrong with getting a couple things from Johnson or Tango to get your feet wet.
And if you decide to upgrade in the future you will have a practice set, which is nice to have, and could also use it as a back-up.
The more you get into it the more you will discover what you like and need and what you don't, and you may find that certain other things present themselves as well. For instance, you might get an idea for a great storyline for a routine. But the only problem may be that in order to perform it you need a "tails" shell but you bought a "heads". There are a lot of things along those lines that could possibly pop up.
So I wouldn't be afraid to look at the used market as well. I just this week sold 2 Johnson ex shells, one heads and the other tails, and each for under $20. When you get more than 50 posts you will have access to the buy/sell forum here on the Café. Many times using a cheaper gaff is like swinging a lead bat, when you get a truly precision set suddenly moves and sleights may become easier.

Chances are whatever you buy first won't be what you end up using the rest of your life. When I first decided I wanted to use larger dollar sized coins I bought Ike gaffs, and couldn't understand why anyone would spend a fortune on Morgans because the spectators don't care, it's the same effect, right?
I thought these "silver elitists" were silly. Well guess what? Now I'm one of them and only use Morgans.

I know it's common for folks to not want to waste money and get the end all, be all from the get go, but that rarely happens. Over time your tastes and needs will almost certainly change.
Get something basic and cheap to start off and start practicing right away. Don't waste time saving up for the ultimate coin gaff. You can still always get that later and you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Now having said that, I'm going to come full circle and say the Swadling Triception set is probably the best bang for the buck currently available and checks off pretty much all the boxes for folks who aren't sure what they want or what they are going to need.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Thanks for the great reply, I've had a read through the forum and decided that this is the set for me, quality and price is unmatched, not too expensive and not too cheap either, plus it comes with routines as well which is also a bonus. If all goes well and I enjoy it then I may upgrade to a lessen or school craft, old saying better walking before I can run. Thanks again

-P
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Peter, if you don't have it, I suggest to star with a Hopping Half set first, you get more gimmicks, in my opinion is more versatile, more readily avsilable from different mfgs, Johnson set is inexpensive and very good. With Tricpetion you start with a set with a fli...r, which is not as easy as the other gimmicks to master.
Triception is a great set for sure.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If my reviews (and somewhat constant cheerleading) helped you make the final decision to get Triception, Let Mark know Smile I know he stays off the Café, but I have told him many times that myself and several others are consistently putting his name (and quality / value) out there in his absence.

I am not affiliated with him in any way shape or form and gain nothing from promoting his stuff. I have just met him several times and talked to him many other times on the phone thru the years and think he sometimes get quietly underrated when all the "Big name custom guys" get discussed. Smile

Best of luck with your new set when you get it. Definitely check out the original "Triception" routine and "4 No More" from the DVD. My two personal favorites. Then you may want to look into some other DVDs / Books on Shell work and flipper work

"Flipped out" by Craig Petty (great dvd - all flipper)
"Silver Surf 2" by Joshua Jay (small book on Troy Hooser's flipper work)
"Metal 3" by Eric Jones
"An Extension of Me" by Eric Jones (see Oxy Clean routine)
"WGM Expanded Shell" by L&L Publishing (good shell routines)
"ShellRaiser" (DVD by Troy Hooser)
"Shell Shocked" by Barry Taylor (good dvd if you can find it)
and a plethora of gaffed coin stuff by David Roth on various dvds.

just a starting point of where you can go with the coins in this wonderful set. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2016, pabloinus wrote:
Peter, if you don't have it, I suggest to star with a Hopping Half set first, you get more gimmicks, in my opinion is more versatile, more readily avsilable from different mfgs, Johnson set is inexpensive and very good. With Tricpetion you start with a set with a fli...r, which is not as easy as the other gimmicks to master.
Triception is a great set for sure.

Thanks for the input, I had a look at the hopping half sets aswell before I made my mind up to go with triception, I know I'm new to coin magic but I don't really take into consideration the level of difficulty as I have the time and dedication to put in the hours to perfect anything I learn. The hopping half set just didn't appeal to me as much as the triception set.

-P
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
If my reviews (and somewhat constant cheerleading) helped you make the final decision to get Triception, Let Mark know Smile I know he stays off the Café, but I have told him many times that myself and several others are consistently putting his name (and quality / value) out there in his absence.

I am not affiliated with him in any way shape or form and gain nothing from promoting his stuff. I have just met him several times and talked to him many other times on the phone thru the years and think he sometimes get quietly underrated when all the "Big name custom guys" get discussed. Smile

Best of luck with your new set when you get it. Definitely check out the original "Triception" routine and "4 No More" from the DVD. My two personal favorites. Then you may want to look into some other DVDs / Books on Shell work and flipper work

"Flipped out" by Craig Petty (great dvd - all flipper)
"Silver Surf 2" by Joshua Jay (small book on Troy Hooser's flipper work)
"Metal 3" by Eric Jones
"An Extension of Me" by Eric Jones (see Oxy Clean routine)
"WGM Expanded Shell" by L&L Publishing (good shell routines)
"ShellRaiser" (DVD by Troy Hooser)
"Shell Shocked" by Barry Taylor (good dvd if you can find it)
and a plethora of gaffed coin stuff by David Roth on various dvds.

just a starting point of where you can go with the coins in this wonderful set. Smile

Yes, I read through your post and your posts on other posts and almost all people don't have a bad word to say about the set, even on other forums. I emailed mark on Friday but just waiting on him replying to me to confirm a few things then I'll purchase the set as soon as he does. I can't wait to get it, reading all the posts and reviews it seems like the perfect set.

Thanks for the list of other books and DVDs to get, I've already purchased the metal 3 just waiting on its arrival. It was actually an Eric Jones routine that got me inspired to do coin magic.

-P
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
The triception set is great because the gravity flipper rarely needs to be repaired. Huge Bonus. Great set.
If you don't have the Hopping Halves set, great set for the money. Johnson or Keupers are both great.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
It occurs to me to ask here: does the Triception set have a fl****r with an internal b**d, or is it external? If it's the latter, how does the g****e compare to a normal fl****r, which is usually quite wide? It seems like the e*****c could allow it to be much smaller.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have a Morgan flipper from Joe Mogar, and it (to me) is the best of both worlds. You've got

- interior, elastic band

- edges that are as full as can be on both pieces

- it comes with 2 magnets that you can add - it can be a regular gravity flipper without them, or it can be magnetic at 2 different strengths!

- quality is as good as it gets
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Hey Chessmann. Thanks for the response.

A couple of questions about your gaff from Joe Morgar:
1) I can't tell if he does any of those in half dollars - I only see mention about the special gravity flipper with optional magnets for the Morgan.
2) Do the magnets make it thicker/not close fully? When added, do they make the flipper lock closed (like the double deception), or just stick in a shell (like the triception)? Can you remove them easily, too, or only add them?

More to the original point, though, while I appreciate the input, I had originally been asking about the triception set because (a) it comes with some other stuff, too, and (b) it was the one getting discussed in this thread.

I'd still be interested in a response to the previous question.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think it's only in Morgans. Magnets make no changes in the look or "closed appearance" of the gaff, they only serve to help things stay closed. It is never locked, as you have with DD, but the stronger magnet does as well as you need. At either strength, it is not difficult open get it open, but at the higher strength you would not do so in mid-performance...probably.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Magnets can add thickness, so I figured there was a decent chance they made the whole thing thicker, thus my question.

Can you be more specific about the difference between "stay closed" versus "locked"? (PM is fine, if you'd prefer). It seems like if you need something to help open it, then it's locked, and if you don't need something then I'm not sure how it can "stay closed' more. It's not like a TUC where you can slide a fl****r if the strength is stronger...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The strength of that gaff in DD requires something else to open it up. The Mogar flipper stays closed with the magnets but not as strongly (remember you get 2 magnets for 2 different strengths), but you can still open it a bit with a sharp start-stop flick, like the older Johnson flippers. Use your finger pad at just the right moment to "get a break" Smile to keep it from closing again. I don't use the magnets, but they are there if you need them for any kind of application you would like to do.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Thought I'd bump here again now that the system was back up. I'm still not clear on the answer to my earlier question:

Quote:
On Mar 3, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
It occurs to me to ask here: does the Triception set have a fl****r with an internal b**d, or is it external? If it's the latter, how does the g****e compare to a normal fl****r, which is usually quite wide? It seems like the e*****c could allow it to be much smaller.

Thanks!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
If you wrote it out in plain English more people might understand what it is that you're asking! (Strong aversion to too many asterisks!)

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triception coin set by Bob Swalding and Mark Mason (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL