The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The USPS... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
...is a bunch of morons.

I was sending a small flat rate box to a customer, so did the Click & Ship thing, and scheduled a pick up at my mailbox. So after I get back home today, the regular mail had run and the package was gone. I figure all was OK. Then later, I get an email telling me the package pickup failed because the box was not found. WTF?? It would have had to be removed from my mailbox in order to put my mail delivery in.

So, I'm left wondering if some jack-wad is stealing stuff from my mailbox. After being thoroughly ticked off for awhile, I decide to go check the tracking number from the original label creation. At first the website would not let me view my account activity, but once it did, I checked the tracking info which says the package is in transit.

Bear in mind that THEY sent me the email stating the package had NOT been picked up.

Now I have to follow the tracking on this until I know it has been delivered.

Morons...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Rest assured, they are less moronic than Canada Post. Don't get me started.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15936 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I have been buying loads of things lately on the net and I have had no problems at all. I have been amazed really at how fast it is from the USA and Canada. Years ago a book from the USA would take for ever.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I always worry since I live in Korea, but I find them to be okay.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I don't know when you stop to think of the number of people involved just to get a package from point A to point B it seems that is a small complication. It's not just one guy grabbing a package and riding horseback to it's destination. It's probably hundreds of people involved from computer programmers, machine builders, delivery drivers, airplane pilots, etc. it's a wonder that's all that happened.

_
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5077 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In my area, there are two pickups. One is the regular mail delivery and the other is a special pickup for click and ship type functions. If this is the same in your area, it's possible the regular carrier picked up the package and when the click and ship driver came by, it was gone, hence the email message you got. Anything is possible I guess and this may just have been a glitch. Fortunately you were able to track the package later on.
Where the magic begins
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I recently received a package sent from Chef Anton in California. The postal route was supposed to be LA-Vancouver-Edmonton. USPS indicated that the parcel got to Vancouver in 2 days. Canada Post denied receiving it. Then they told me they couldn't help me because USPS is responible to get the package to them. USPS wouldn't help because I am in Canada. So the burden switches to the sender.

While all this is being chased about, the Canada Post website shows my parcel being shipped to Canada from Malta! So I call them again. Now that it's in their system, they'll talk. I'm promised that someone will investigate. The tracker shows my parcel in Toronto, then it finally shows up in my mailbox more than a month after it was sent. And yes, there was a Maltese postmark on the package.

A week after the package arrived I got a letter from some big boss at Canada Post. Apparently they can't initiate a troubke report for me and if I want my package I should have the sender initiate a report. Nice.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Dave, there is an option to have it picked up by the regular carrier, I always use that option. But I only use that pick-up feature for small flat rate boxes that easily fit in my mailbox. Typically, these are lower valued items. This particular package was worth $25.00. It is not uncommon though for me to need to ship an item worth several thousand dollars, and in some cases items because of their rarity that could not be replaced at any cost. I do a lot of restoration work on vintage props. I use USPS only for small, low priced items, and for international shipping, simply because most overseas customers will not pay the very high fees charged by companies like FedEx. For ALL larger domestic shipments, I use FedEx exclusively. They are more reliable than the USPS.(For the record, UPS (brown) has failed too many times, and broken too many valuable items. I refuse to use them.)

I'm still not sure how this pick-up got recorded as a failed attempt. The irritation and my freak-out was because this could just as easily been an issue with a more valuable item. Before I found it with my own tracking attempts, I was freaking as much thinking it could have been a thief. That's the last thing we need to worry about in this neighborhood.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Malta= Alta Smile You think that's got something to do with it, John? I'm not convinced Canada Post is the "moron" here. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Canada post denied receiving a parcel they received. They sent it to Malta, not to AB (as it was marked). They told me that they could not trace the package because they hadn't received it, then when it got shipped back to Canada from Malta, they admitted that they could. Then 3 days AFTER it was delivered to me (yes, that's the date on the letter), they sent me a letter telling me that they wouldn't look for my package, and that I'd have to get the sender to look for it.

I also didn't mention that the first service rep told me that the parcel was probably in customs. I pointed out that the package is received by Canada Post and marked as received before it goes to customs.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
We use the USPS to ship our products. Most of the time everything is fine. But there are certain countries to which we no longer ship, because the packages inevitably "get lost." One such country is Africa. We no longer accept orders from Africa. Italy has posed some problems, too. Not willing to take a chance shipping there, either. Packages sent to Germany do get there, but sometimes take an inexplicably long time.

Shipping to Canada is baffling. We're on the west coast, in the Seattle area. So you would think shipping to Vancouver, Canada, would only take a day's drive at the most. Nevertheless, all orders to Canada have to be sent via first class (i.e. air mail) which makes the postage exorbitant. Then, on top of that, a package sometimes gets hung up in customs, taking up to two weeks to finally reach its destination!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Canada post denied receiving a parcel they received. They sent it to Malta, not to AB (as it was marked).

If I really stretch, I could almost understand the mistake if Alberta was abbreviated on the package as Alta. But you're saying it was marked as AB? Yeesh!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I once had a package addressed to Australia sent to Austria.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
John, apologies, I missed this bit somehow:

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
USPS indicated that the parcel got to Vancouver in 2 days.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2016, magicalaurie wrote:
John, isn't it possible it was sent from the U.S.A to Malta and that's why Canada post said they didn't receive it? Until after Malta sent it to Alta via Toronto? Could that be what happened, is my question?

The USPS tracking information showed the package arriving in Vancouver.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Yes, see above. Smile

When I got a copy of Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook, it took a tour of South America, I think it was, before arriving here. Brazil, if I recall. I might have saved that envelope- will have a look and confirm if I can. I don't think there was any tracking on that one so I'm not sure who sent the wild goose in that direction. I only know it finally landed in my mailbox and the sender told me to keep the refund he'd given me.

Seems Malta et al have got their acts together, however. Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3133 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The tracking information in my area is a joke. If it says "expected delivery is Monday", I can count on MAYBE getting it Wednesday if I am lucky. Slow service and sketchy at best.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2016, rowdymagi5 wrote:
The tracking information in my area is a joke. If it says "expected delivery is Monday", I can count on MAYBE getting it Wednesday if I am lucky. Slow service and sketchy at best.

That's only one of the reasons that I prefer to ship packages via FEDEX. I am amazed at how large a radius will get delivery in ONE DAY! USPS can't even match that for a package going across town at a comparable price.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
USPS next day/Two day service is merely "aspirational." No guarantees. That's why I hate to see my amazon prime purchases with USPS as the carrier. That shoots the "two day delivery" promise of amazon prime all to H3LL.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1124 Posts

Profile of imgic
Our small town post office is so bad, we drive to next town over to mail our things. We use to complain to our Post Mistress, but she's one of the rudest, most ignorant, unemphatic workers I've ever met (and I spent many years dealing with civil servants). Many in our town have filed complaints with Postal Service Inspector General...though we have little hope for change.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The USPS... (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL