The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The USPS... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
You may not want to hear this, but I think it is true. If you take the number of USPS errors, damages and losses, and compare that to their number of successes... I think you will find they have a pretty good batting average. I also think that where you live has something to do with the score. A big city has many people working in it. The USPS in a large city has many points of quality control. Smaller towns, not so much.

Fact is the post office takes a lot of heat, and more so since Fed Ex came on the scene and e-mail which drastically cut their business. My guess is that the USPS is likely on the way out and I hope that does not happen. The USPS must do what ever they have to do in order to deliver any piece of mail or package anywhere you need to send it. A private shipping company may take your package to an out of the way place, but they can either charge you through the nose for it, or they may simply refuse.

Does the post office have issues? Of course they do, and sometimes those issues suck for the buyer or seller or both, but again. Most of the time they come through.

(When I was in college, several of us had a night shift job working at UPS. Don't get me started on the stuff that happened there, mostly deliberate too.)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
When the US needs to reinstate the draft for military, they'll need to know every address, ie the USPS. My draft board was in LA, but they tracked me via the post office to Boston where I got my 1-A. An all volunteer army is working now, but wait til they need 500,000 soldiers overnight. Lynn
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2016, lynnef wrote:
When the US needs to reinstate the draft for military, they'll need to know every address, ie the USPS. My draft board was in LA, but they tracked me via the post office to Boston where I got my 1-A. An all volunteer army is working now, but wait til they need 500,000 soldiers overnight. Lynn

Desert Storm has shown us that all future wars will be primarily fought in the air and space. If we ever come to a point where we need 500,000 troops overnight, then it is already too late.

USPS does fine for me over here. Sometimes things go to another country first, but that is because of the way the sender wrote down the zip code.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
...is a bunch of morons.

I was sending a small flat rate box to a customer, so did the Click & Ship thing, and scheduled a pick up at my mailbox. So after I get back home today, the regular mail had run and the package was gone. I figure all was OK. Then later, I get an email telling me the package pickup failed because the box was not found. WTF?? It would have had to be removed from my mailbox in order to put my mail delivery in.

So, I'm left wondering if some jack-wad is stealing stuff from my mailbox. After being thoroughly ticked off for awhile, I decide to go check the tracking number from the original label creation. At first the website would not let me view my account activity, but once it did, I checked the tracking info which says the package is in transit.

Bear in mind that THEY sent me the email stating the package had NOT been picked up.

Now I have to follow the tracking on this until I know it has been delivered.

Morons...
That's why I still prefer to drop stuff off right at the postoffice.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
...is a bunch of morons.

I was sending a small flat rate box to a customer, so did the Click & Ship thing, and scheduled a pick up at my mailbox. So after I get back home today, the regular mail had run and the package was gone. I figure all was OK. Then later, I get an email telling me the package pickup failed because the box was not found. WTF?? It would have had to be removed from my mailbox in order to put my mail delivery in.

So, I'm left wondering if some jack-wad is stealing stuff from my mailbox. After being thoroughly ticked off for awhile, I decide to go check the tracking number from the original label creation. At first the website would not let me view my account activity, but once it did, I checked the tracking info which says the package is in transit.

Bear in mind that THEY sent me the email stating the package had NOT been picked up.

Now I have to follow the tracking on this until I know it has been delivered.

Morons...
That's why I still prefer to drop stuff off right at the postoffice.

You know, and that's what I typically do. But a couple factors made the decision for me. First, I was very busy for that whole week, so taking time to go run that errand for a small package seemed a waste of time better spent. Second, It costs me a fair amount in gas to drive to the post office from my home. Considering the relatively small amount of this order, it also seemed economically better to have them pick it up.

They tout this in their advertising, so I figured why not take advantage of it. I'm sure the cost is already built in to what is spent on postage, or they couldn't afford to do it.

BTW - for all I can tell, the package did arrive at its destination. Whether human error, or computer glitch, it caused unwanted stress that particular day.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The USPS... (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL