The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what does everyone think about Apple having to break into that phone? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Definitely.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Today's NY Times: "U.S. Says It May Not Need Apple’s Help to Unlock iPhone"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/techno......tml?_r=0

Suhprise, suhprise, suhprise.

That's why you should never believe the first thing they tell you.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
FBI breaks into dead gunman's Apple iPhone:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35914195
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
And...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
... that's all. folks!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, slowkneenuh wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2016, landmark wrote:

But where's the rest of the info? You've left out filling in many of the blanks. You have nothing to hide.

Everyone has something to hide, but some of us are smart enough not to put it on our phones.

The point here is the lameness of the "nothing to hide" argument. Just because one has "nothing to hide" (a dubious proposition to begin with), doesn't mean that we are thus willing to have our personal info available to everyone.

There's an even larger, much more interesting, and beautiful argument in favor of privacy that Glenn Greenwald has delineated in some of his articles and books, but it's not really amenable to summary in this kind of venue.

That's all true, but none of that applies in the case between Apple and the FBI. The phone is owned by a government agency that has given its consent for access, and the user was on notice by the agency that assigned the phone to him that he had no expectation of privacy in a government phone.

This case seems to have become a proxy for the larger debate re: privacy versus security measures, but courts are only supposed to look at the unique facts before them in a specific case. Under that analysis, there's really no privacy issue here at all.

Now, apparently, the FBI is in possession of a technique to hack Apple phones, which might not have occured if Apple had just complied in the beginning, and opened the phone without giving the keys to the FBI.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
This case seems to have become a proxy for the larger debate re: privacy versus security measures, but courts are only supposed to look at the unique facts before them in a specific case. Under that analysis, there's really no privacy issue here at all.

Now, apparently, the FBI is in possession of a technique to hack Apple phones, which might not have occured if Apple had just complied in the beginning, and opened the phone without giving the keys to the FBI.

Disagree on both counts. The FBI's former "solution" would indeed have set a precedent for all phones. It would not have been just that specific phone whose security would have been compromised, but all phones.

As for the FBI suddenly finding a new method--Ed Snowden said all along that the FBI was lying and knew that there were known techniques, which the NSA already had, to access info in such a situation.

Finally the dichotomy of privacy versus security is a false dichotomy. In a free society, the public sector is supposed to be transparent, and the private sector...uhh...private.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Disagree on both counts. The FBI's former "solution" would indeed have set a precedent for allphones. It would not have been just that specific phone whose securty would have been compromised, but all phones.

As for the FBI suddenly finding a new method--Ed Snowden said all along that the FBI was lying and knew that there were known techniques, which the NSA already had, to access info in such a situation.

Finally the dichotomy of privacy versus security is a false dichotomy. In a free society, the public sector is supposed to be transparent, and the private sector...uhh...private.

Guess what - the FBI now can access all iPhones, or at least those of this particular model. That might not have happened if Apple had opened the phone and kept the code to itself, which is all it was asked to do.

As for Snowden, he defected to Russia several iterations of iPhone security ago, so his thoughts are becoming less and less relevant.

Finally, you say the public sector is supposed to be transparent, and the private sector private. How does that statement apply to a government phone?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
That might not have happened if Apple had opened the phone and kept the code to itself, which is all it was asked to do.

You need to familiarize yourself with the facts of the case. That was not what Apple was requested to do.

Snowden's thoughts are extraordinarily relevant since he had first hand knowledge of the capabilities of the NSA--so he knew the FBI was lying as indeed it was proven. Of course not just Snowden , but pretty much the entire informed tech world said the same thing.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

As for Snowden, he defected to Russia...

When you say it like that it makes him sound bad.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Sorry. He's on an extended goodwill tour. Better?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, landmark wrote:
Quote:
That might not have happened if Apple had opened the phone and kept the code to itself, which is all it was asked to do.

You need to familiarize yourself with the facts of the case. That was not what Apple was requested to do.

Snowden's thoughts are extraordinarily relevant since he had first hand knowledge of the capabilities of the NSA--so he knew the FBI was lying as indeed it was proven. Of course not just Snowden , but pretty much the entire informed tech world said the same thing.

Really? Show me where the FBI asked for the code to unlock the phone. I know people keep saying that, but that's not what the application for the court order says.

Yes, Snowden had first hand knowledge of the capabilities of the NSA. The key word there is "had." The NSA's capabilities change every time new security platforms are introduced. If the FBI could've unlocked this phone without a huge public debate, it would have done so quietly. There was nothing to be gained by asking a private company to replicate a pre-existing ability.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
No matter what the court order requested, what is clear is that it could not be done without jeopardizing all phones. Which was the point.

Not just Snowden, but every informed tech person said the same thing. As was proven.

The FBI could have unlocked the phone--they were the ones who re-set the password in the first place so that it couldn't be entered.

Quote:
If the FBI could've unlocked this phone without a huge public debate, it would have done so quietly.

Laughable. The FBI misjudged--they thought people would fall for their story, but fortunately their story was shown to be a lie. Thank you Ed Snowden and Tim Cook for your service to your country.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Wow, not sure how to respond to all of that, but I'm guessing you're a big Noam Chomsky fan.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A very recent Conversation With Chomsky, Greenwald and Snowden on Privacy:
https://theintercept.com/a-conversation-about-privacy/

Snowden's twitter page is enlightening too. Every time the FBI and NSA lie, he calls them out. So far his percentage is 100%.
https://twitter.com/Snowden
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
There are definitely people here that support privacy over public safety.....at any cost, to include innocent lives. They would probably even justify their own family's lives being lost to keep that privacy.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2016, lunatik wrote:
There are definitely people here that support privacy over public safety.....at any cost, to include innocent lives. They would probably even justify their own family's lives being lost to keep that privacy.

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
It still doesn't take away from the fact that they don't have a real plan of action if anything horrendous happened. They'd most likely be busy crafting clever responses while terrorists run free. Theyr ok with a search warrant that allows police to go through their underwear and bras, but their phone? Heck no!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I support the constitution one fear mongering. Try reading it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I didn't know you were against search warrants.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what does everyone think about Apple having to break into that phone? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL