The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what does everyone think about Apple having to break into that phone? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19 [Next]
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
This:

Quote:
On Mar 30, 2016, lunatik wrote:
There's a subpoena due to a search warrant.

next

and this:

Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2016, 0pus wrote:
I don't think a subpoena of a non-party can (or should) force a person or company to work for the law enforcers.

Under absolutely no circumstances whatsoever?

I have better things to do than trying to talk to this guy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea. Because he is about to create some fantasy land scenario then say SEE!!!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
We just had a terrorist attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE!!!!!

How much worse does it need to get for you guys????? pathetic excuses ya'll have. Just come out and say that you support ISIS via your interpretation of the Constitution and while you're at it, sneak across into Syria and join them with your iPhones.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, 0pus wrote:
This:

Quote:
On Mar 30, 2016, lunatik wrote:
There's a subpoena due to a search warrant.

next

and this:

Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2016, 0pus wrote:
I don't think a subpoena of a non-party can (or should) force a person or company to work for the law enforcers.

Under absolutely no circumstances whatsoever?

I have better things to do than trying to talk to this guy.

None of us thought that you'd could answer my question because you'd have to backpedal. Just like Danny.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lunatik did you read my link?

No matter how bad or gets I do not want to have a tyrannical government based on your fantasy land made up fear mongering.

My pathetic excuse is called the constitution. Look it up. Without it your second amendment right does not exist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
It just boils down to the fact that your opinions are not my opinions, and like you, I will staunchly defend them. There is no fantasy Danny, we just had a terrorist attack and have his phone. Do you have a different threshold for the amount of deaths before we can order a company to provide the contents of a phone? 13 deaths may be kind of low, how about 9-11? Would hay be enough to order Apple or any company to provide law enforcement with the contents? Just curious.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I don't want my last post to be perceived as harsh, but (as I see it) you are either having a go and winding us up for S&G's, or (IMO) worse that you can't tolerate us not being in agreement with your take on the world.

My intention is not to get anyone worked up. But I do get passionate about things sometimes:)
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Did you think that the Patriot Act was a good idea?

Not to appear as a loaded question I'll answer my own question first. I didn't and don't.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I didn't and don't either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Too often your passion blinds you to reality. Then you concoct strange fanatic scenarios to prove some point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
How is the most recent terrorist attack on our soil "fanatic"? It just happened in our real world in OUR country. Please explain
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
How is the most recent terrorist attack on our soil "fanatic"? It just happened in our real world in OUR country. Please explain

Does peole attacking us change our rights?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
No, subpoenas and search warrants are still legal.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Should fear change who we are?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3001 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Did you think that the Patriot Act was a good idea?

Not to appear as a loaded question I'll answer my own question first. I didn't and don't.

The story behind the passage of the Patriot Act is a good example of how we balance equities between privacy and law enforcement in the USA. Most of what wound up in the Patriot Act had already been proposed by the FBI and the intelligence agencies, but never made it into law because of privacy concerns. Then, after Sept 11, the balance of equities shifted enough that all of these prior proposals, plus some new ones, were gathered together and given the admittedly loaded name "Patriot Act." But you know who supported it, of all people? Alan Dershowitz, a rather well known and left-leaning lawyer. His argument at the time was that if we don't do what it takes to stop the worst of the terrorist acts - ie, the "big" ones - the government will gain public support to pass ever more draconian laws. The Patriot Act wasn't written in the six weeks after Sept 11, it's just that the political reality changed. Imagine how the equities will shift if, for instance, a nuclear device is ever successfully detonated in the USA or Europe. My guess is that whatever the response, it will make it look like the Patriot Act was written by the ACLU. So in the long game, it seems to be in the interest of privacy advocates to at least support an effective intelligence and law enforcement capability.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The only thing that shifted was fear. They took advantage of fear in order to pass it. They always use "we must act now" and scare people out of their rights. It is sad that people will fall for it so regularly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3001 Posts

Really? Is it just "fallling for it," or are you prepared to admit that there are some legitimate concerns for safety?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4871 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Alan Dershowitz, a rather well known and left-leaning lawyer

Dershowitz has not been left leaning for a quarter of a century, and is an apologist for torture laws and shutting down campus debate. No one on the left claims him, you can have him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Really? Is it just "fallling for it," or are you prepared to admit that there are some legitimate concerns for safety?

Safety is a legitimate concern. Always has been. But which rights do you wish to concede in your quest for the impossible?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
3001 Posts

Yeah, I get that. Used to love going for a run on the National Mall in DC on Sunday morning, then running up the Capitol steps and looking out at the morning sun over all of the monuments and park land. I really miss that. Now the steps are all fenced off and guarded by guys in Kevlar vests and rifles. You can't go in the museums here anymore either without going through a TSA style search. Heck, I remember when you could go on a plane without going through a security checkpoint at all. If people just behaved themselves, we'd still live in that world.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what does everyone think about Apple having to break into that phone? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL