The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » GODFATHER'S OPEN PREDICTION (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
IMPROMPTU CAN BE PERFORMED ANY WHERE THAT HAS A TABLE
anyone interested in the handling can pm me it uses most all my slights
vinny

https://youtu.be/67WuzOBr2wY
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1441 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Hi Vinny. I don't think this can be called an Open Prediction, either in premise or procedure.

What advantages would you say this has over other handlings of the OP?
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Interesting.
You would need a spectator who touches the card just how you want for it to work, wouldn't you? If I take it out of the spread, you're pretty much screwed (as far as that move is concerned) are you not?

P!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
No I have other means even if the spectator takes the card out of the spread .....this is just one handling.

i shared this to get opinions..........this may not be a open prediction...a better name would of been a thought of card.

I called it that. if I had a spectator name a card I can still do it but not as clean .

Ado and rupert thank you for you input any suggestions would help

vinny ia

i gusess I could of called it a thouft
Come check out my magic.

marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Hi Vinny, I try to stay away of that technique unless it delivers a huge punch (card in the pocket, or card traveling packages), but I would not use for the purpose you use it there. There are lots of other ways to do that. What the spectator see is;

Magician makes a prediction and puts it in an envelope. She picks a card, and the card is revealed. The prediction is revealed and it matches the card selected.

Just from the effect point of view there are a improvements you can make... bring the card in the envelope from home already. Reveal the prediction before the card. Add a number by another spectator and you have something similar to an ACANN. Etc... Or use some of the Do as I do plots with two decks where you "don't touch" the spectator deck, and you accomplish the same result.

Just my thoughts
discobungle
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of discobungle
Hey Vinny. I think it worked well. I missed it the first time, because I wasn't "looking" for anything. When I rewatched, of course I saw the sleight. A spectator doesn't have the luxury to go back and rewatch when a trick is performed for them. And of course, if the spec had drawn the card fully from the spread a good DL would have worked. Good job overall.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I use this technique for many different effects , ill put up a demo where the card is pushed out of the spread or the card is delt down to a called number and it is the predicted card or selected card
every one thanks for you help
vinny
Come check out my magic.

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Https://youtu.be/3uo_IgMCkb4

here are some other reveals either as a selected card a prediction or thought of card
Come check out my magic.

Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
271 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
Vinny,

In my opinion the right hand has no business touching the top card of the mini-spread on your left side. After all, your left hand is completely empty and capable of pushing the supposed selection forward. To me it appears to be illogical.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
That's why I use two hands Tom.. it is impossible any other way..
However not thinking like a magician would the lay audience pick up on that ???? not sure
vinny

here is another version a quicker pace https://youtu.be/Q7lD8oatcRk
Come check out my magic.

ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
211 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
There is a really nice rythym to this, I particularly like the slight nudge to the left of the initial selection, it draws the eye at just the right moment. Tom is correct that it is illogical to bring the right hand over but there is an internal logic because the left hand appears to steady the rest of that spread to prevent the cards scattering. Nice Vinny
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9228 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just happened to come across this and think it's a winner!

If this is shown to laymen and many magicians as well, they will only be fooled.

Once again, the Godfather goes "boldly" where no one goes much if at all. Smile

While there are many ways to deliver an Open Prediction, I think this is done as deceptively as many of them, IMHO.

I was watching another Open Prediction effect just today, called, "The Last Prediction." It uses no sleight of hand, is clever-enough, and works every time. A lot of people found it to be maybe too simple as to method, only laymen would never pick up on it…Never! So, it works and delivers the effect as effectively as most other routines in this genre, truth be told. Magicians take their exceptions on this & that, as they are fine-print like as to things, but it depends what you like in this effect of Open Prediction. For some, they don't like gaffed takes, others don't want the trickery of sleights or arranged decks, etc. That's magicians for you, but as to laymen, in most of nearly all these versions over the many years, laymen just see astonishment as the prediction is shown to be mysteriously correct. Smile

With that, Vinny -- Good job, and you continue to boldly, creatively amaze. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I really like this one, and also agree with Vinny that for a spectator the sleight is not to be seen. Not sure how easy is to do it.
I was not clear on Tom's comment about the left hand, I thought that there is a reason for it in the routine.

Pablo
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Vinny,

Quote:
On Feb 24, 2016, vinsmagic wrote:
That's why I use two hands Tom.. it is impossible any other way..
However not thinking like a magician would the lay audience pick up on that ???? not sure
vinny

here is another version a quicker pace https://youtu.be/Q7lD8oatcRk

For me, the left hand was the disturbing and illogical one. For somebody right-handed it might be fully justified to put away the unused top stack with the right hand and then pick-up the chosen card with it. Of course the sleight would be more difficult. If I am right with what it is, I will PM you.

Jens
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I am correcting my post, sorry, I meant Tom commenting on the right hand
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
271 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
I stand by my original observation. It's illogical for the right hand to reach across the body in order to push the supposed selection forward. Not even to keep the spread from moving. In the real world one would merely place their left, extended forefinger, onto the card and slide it outward. To completely cover the supposed selection with the right hand screams that a switch is taking place. To assume that observant spectators won't find this action suspect is simply wishful thinking.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1441 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Tom is correct.

Why not change the moment and clip palm in the act of spreading, ala Marlo? I don't think that's a particularly GOOD approach, but it's certainly a BETTER approach, and one that seemingly satisfies Vinny's desire to only perform stuff that he's created (regardless of the existence of better alternatives).

Settling for something that we think will "fly" is simple laziness. Just because you come up with something doesn't mean it's good.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2963 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I too agree with Tom. When you intimate that the stopped at card is going to be the one predicted, the specs will burn that card. The obvious way to make the prediction true is to switch in the actual card. It is very difficult to execute a switch at a moment like this without the specs "smelling a rat." In some instances they won't know the exact method, but they'll know you did something. Tom's words were "... screams that a switch is taking place." I agree. Show the video to lay people and then ask if they think they might know how it worked.

Mike
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Well I have several other switches that I do .. however in real time with misdirection that I jut cant do on camera and keep in frame
it works....
I have been performing these techniques folr years
andi get what you say mike that the card screams something has happened .
alos this is very bold that only a few magicians will attempt....

it is just like atop change the right moment to excute ..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Interesting... After re-reading Tom's post and observe my own performance
I've found that I always use right hand to push the selected card forward whenever I have audience remove a card

1.right hand spread the card face down
2.both hand gesturing
3.left hand rest at the edge of the table
4.audiance remove one but not completely
5.right hand come to the selection and push it forward
6.both hand gather the rest of the pack

Well, while I do not prefer the handling from Vinny's video, I wouldn't say the handling is illogical, it just the way different people handling the card
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » GODFATHER'S OPEN PREDICTION (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL