The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Handmade prop case (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I figure kids like magic boxes, tubes and bags -- and so do I.
So I took three apparatus effects and routined them together, explaining these are old school magic props given to me by my magic teacher.
And now I have his magic case to go with them. The box is entirely handmade, cut to size. The interior system of elastic and thumbtacks lets me set the props before the show and perform out of the case. Plus I figure it's flexible if I want to eventually carry other props. Not a closeup case, but I like how it looks from a little distance.
The new case debuts at a birthday party this Saturday! By then I'll age down those brass corners a bit.
Marc

Click here to view attached image.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The back of the case

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The case holds props ready to perform so that it can be carried onstage, played flat and opened ready to go

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I figure the inside system of tacks and elastic will let me reconfigure for different shows

mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Here's a look at the case open from the front, ready to perform. If you'd like to see better pictures, check out my Facebook page, Marc's Magic Boxes and Slates. Or if you have construction questions, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for looking,
Marc

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Outstanding work Marc!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
How much does it WEIGH???
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
It's quarter inch plywood so not as much as you'd imagine. About 4 pounds before props.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Nice woodworking job. Did you do it all yourself
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Yes, this is 100 percent handmade, mostly of quarter inch plywood
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
How much does it WEIGH when "full" of the props???
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:

Now come on Dick that has to be a "trick question" (pun intended)... you know that depends on which props and how many will fit into it.
I bet if you filled it with nothing but sponge balls it would weigh the same as if it were empty Smile
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The case weighs 4 pounds empty, but for me the one downside isn't weight but space. This wasn't intended as just a prop case, but a prop itself, designed to hold the props I use in the routine in such a way that I could carry it on vertically, set it on the table and go to work. As the props inside are collectible pieces, they needed to be held in place without additional protective wrapping and be accessible without fumbling so it's not like I have it packed full. The trade off is well worth it for me as the case excites curiosity and lend credence to the back story about it belonging to an old magician many years ago who gave me the props inside.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:

Now come on Dick that has to be a "trick question" (pun intended)... you know that depends on which props and how many will fit into it.
I bet if you filled it with nothing but sponge balls it would weigh the same as if it were empty Smile

Hey! Look at my post above yours! I said "the" props.

OP did not specify what the props were.

As an old roadie, I am ALWAYS concerned with the WEIGHT.1
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
We're I to take this on the road I might feel differently, but for the weight and space I get 10 minutes, 4 effects and three onstage helpers so it's well worth it for local parties and family shows. Plus since it can be performance ready as packed, I save valuable set up time at the venue.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Wonderful.
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Good work on the prop, I like how it is designed.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Marc's work is stellar and his customer service equals his attention to quality. In addition to his smart affiliation with Gemini Artifacts ( http://geminiartifacts.com/collections/slate-books-boxes ), check out his FaceBook page ( https://www.facebook.com/Marcs-Magic-Box......81469046 ) and awesome Etsy offerings ( https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarlocksBoxes?......redirect ).

As a collector, I own quite a few of Marc's offerings, and they are all meticulously created with great attention to not only craftsmanship details, but also with artistic and design sensibilities in mind. I realize this is coming off as a blatant advertisement, but I don't care. Here is someone who cares about what he is putting back into the world.

(And I also like that he has owns that sweeeeeeet Michael Baker Card Star in the background of his pics. Maybe, someday, I'll pick one of those up).
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Very nice work! Where did you get the hardware?
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The hardware came from lowes and Home Depot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Handmade prop case (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL