We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4953 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well at least this time Ellusionist first didn't take everybody's money with a pre-order. Baby steps......
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8331 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2016, Jon Allen wrote:
What is the difference between this and the Rob Bromley Changing Card put out by Bob Swadling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdtw2JMECac

Good point John. Will be interesting to see Rasmus' version, hopefully soon.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1731 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2016, Magic McKing wrote:
After putting hours of practice in it, I can honestly say it looks great... on camera. I don't usually complain about things under $20, but I wish I didn't toss $15 away if I didn't have to. The 'secret' is just too obvious and doesn't work live. There's a reason why in the trailer it was always partially out of frame during a critical moment. Be warned.. save your money folks..

Noooooooooooooooooo, E selling stuff only looking good on camera ??? You gotta be kidding me ! It's not like they've put out the biggest trash product for years called "Change" by Mr. Barnes..

People never learn.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1794 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
What is the difference between this and the Rob Bromley Changing Card put out by Bob Swadling?

There is no difference. Lloyd's version of the gimmick is the same... Nicholas has a slight variation, but still pretty much the same method.

That was part of my disappointment as this is nothing new.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
With The Band | SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
So if there is no difference in the gimmick or the method, why is Rob Bromley's Changing Card being sold as a different product?

If anyone involved with its release can comment that would be decent.

Also, if you could take the time as well while you're commenting, why is it described as using "No flaps" when it absolutely 100% does use a flap?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1350 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:

Looks like they don't throw it. Hence it's totally new right?
Official Thread Killer
StevenHimmel
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of StevenHimmel
Alrighty everyone...here it goes...
I have received my copy of Chroma. I put it together in just a minute. I played around with it. And honestly, I think this is good. Not great. But very good. It is definitely knacky and will take a fair amount of practice to get it down smoothly. Nicholas is a worker. I have supported him from the beginning and I know that everything he creates is workable in the real world.
I'll be honest, this gimmick is not necessarily a new idea. It's just reworked to make it simpler and less expensive. You may have seen the Boomerang card change a number of years ago. It was really cool. But it used elastic and would break and couldn't be replaced and was kind of expensive. This an awesome alternative. There are two different gimmick designs, which I really like. I could make one on the fly if I needed to. There have been other versions out there. This is just some more ideas on the concept. I think this version is more accessible for everyone. I think for the price it is definitely worth it. You pay $15 for knowledge you will have for the rest of your life. This is a very cool quick color change and is extremely practical. I have been a little disappointed in a number of Ellusionists releases over the past couple of years. This is not a disappointment. I'm going to use this. I really think a lot of you will like it and use it as well.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4953 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, StevenHimmel wrote:
I have received my copy of Chroma. I put it together in just a minute. I played around with it. And honestly, I think this is good. Not great. But very good. It is definitely knacky and will take a fair amount of practice to get it down smoothly. Nicholas is a worker. I have supported him from the beginning and I know that everything he creates is workable in the real world.
I'll be honest, this gimmick is not necessarily a new idea. It's just reworked to make it simpler and less expensive. You may have seen the Boomerang card change a number of years ago. It was really cool. But it used elastic and would break and couldn't be replaced and was kind of expensive. This an awesome alternative. There are two different gimmick designs, which I really like. I could make one on the fly if I needed to. There have been other versions out there. This is just some more ideas on the concept. I think this version is more accessible for everyone. I think for the price it is definitely worth it. You pay $15 for knowledge you will have for the rest of your life. This is a very cool quick color change and is extremely practical. I have been a little disappointed in a number of Ellusionists releases over the past couple of years. This is not a disappointment. I'm going to use this. I really think a lot of you will like it and use it as well.

Hmmm..... Very interesting. A good review from a working magician. For $15.00 might be worth it.
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
We were not Aware of Rob Bremley's creation taught Bob Swadling but we were aware that similar things have existed like hold-outs & non-visual changes but from what I had known its not available any longer. What lloyd & Myslef have really done here is found an old idea and taken it further by not only chnages the face of a card which is the only application ive been able to find in my research but what we are doing is changing both sides which I personally have never seen before jamming with Lloyd. He also took it even further by conjuring up the Dual Printing of a completely blank playing card, which in my opinion is just insane.. I understand this isn't an amazingly brand new concept but we have both put work into teaching anyone interested in this re-visited concept which I feel we have greatly improved upon aswell included our own original ideas.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, StevenHimmel wrote:

Let us know how it goes for real people!
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1794 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Rob Bromley still sells his Credit Card Change, which is essentially the Changing Card applied to a Credit Card to Playing Card...

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Credit-Card-Change.html

To say that Chroma is unique because both sides change.... well in all fairness that's essentially what the Credit Card Change is.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
With The Band | SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi All

Ok so I have had sometime to play with Chroma, many will know that this is not my type of thing as I'm more known more mentalism, but after seeing Chroma it had me thinking how I would use something like this.... PHOTO

I made up some photos and created a version where by a thought of person would vanish from a group photo, this works really well and looks amazing to the spectator to see the one person they named in the picture suddenly vanish.

Top job LLoyd and Nicholas

All the best

R
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
This is definitely a better release from E considered I bought the previous release from Lloyd. That one I didn't even want to keep in my drawer. But this is NOT workable at all. After hours of practicing this 'new' handling, I can confirm that it looks way better on camera than live. It's painfully obvious to see this in person. I have Rob Swadling's original version. The original handling made sense and it's a real working piece. I feel this is a bad rip off. Same gimmick, same principle, nothing new at stake. If you want something for your webcam, get this. If you want something you can do live, pick up the original Bob Swadling-Changing Cards.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Please stop saying things aren't workable when other people have said they are. Say it's not workable for you. One of the problems with reviews is people act like their experience is everyone's experience. It's very interesting how many times on here well known working magicians like something and give it thumbs up while unknown magi and hobbyists complain about it not being usable. Same thing is happening in the Never There thread right now. They're usable if you want to take the time to make them usable.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8331 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:
This is definitely a better release from E considered I bought the previous release from Lloyd. That one I didn't even want to keep in my drawer. But this is NOT workable at all. After hours of practicing this 'new' handling, I can confirm that it looks way better on camera than live. It's painfully obvious to see this in person. I have Rob Swadling's original version. The original handling made sense and it's a real working piece. I feel this is a bad rip off. Same gimmick, same principle, nothing new at stake. If you want something for your webcam, get this. If you want something you can do live, pick up the original Bob Swadling-Changing Cards.

Thanks. I appreciate your honesty. Another unsatisfied customer. However, I'm going to purchase because it might work for me. Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Seems like the main issue mostly surrounds the need to - at least in a live performance - misdirect audience attention away from the gimmick for a moment while it does its thing, but was presented on the trailer as a gimmick that needed no misdirection.

If the gimmick had been presented as below (Swadling's effect), would there have been a problem?

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, HoDinhYu wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate your honesty. Another unsatisfied customer. However, I'm going to purchase because it might work for me. Smile

While I appreciate the sarcasm, you're actually making my point. I went back and counted up the positive and negative reviews (it's a little hard to tell who actually has it and who's speculating). Ends up 4 negative, 1 middle, and 3 positive. 2 of the positive reviews are from very well known and respected pros. It's possible the negatives are as well, but I don't know their names.

My point is, if I listened to everyone's negative opinion I'd have missed dozens of great tricks along the way. Just as I've been led astray by some positive reviews which turned out to be unworkable for me. It's more whether an effect fits my needs.

As to this review, I'm confused. On one hand the complaint is that the new gimmick is exactly the same as Swadlings gimmick but somehow this one is unworkable live but the original is great?. Either it's the same gimmick, meaning it would work the same as the original gimmick or it's different and therefore not the same. Can't have it both ways.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8331 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Why don't you buy it then SK? Jeez.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1794 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Lloyds version is same as Swadlings. His handlings make it difficult not to flash, if you did it as Swadling teaches, with the toss, it works.

Nicholas' version is a bit different but relies on the same core principle- his is a little different than Sawdling's as the toss handling wouldn't work with his.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -

Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Why don't you buy it then SK? Jeez.

Lol I put it in my cart but haven't for two reasons. One is I don't really like to buy from Ellusionist, I prefer dealing with Penguin and getting free shipping so unless I can't live without I rarely pull the trigger. Second, I used to buy everything and I've bought an awful lot of gimmicked cards over the past few years and I find I don't actually use most of them. I'm learning to be more selective in buying effects I'll actually use. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL