The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
556 Posts

Profile of brandon90
I agree with Slackerking...

The question of "How easy is this" has also been popping up an awful lot lately.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
I don't have this, but since it was literally just released it seems improbable that anyone could have practiced this enough to make it look good in one day. One of the constant on threads I've noticed over the last few years I've been here is that an awful lot of people want self working, perfect angles and examinable. Very unrealistic, magic takes practice. If you want novelty gags then that's a different thing. Magic takes practice.

Again, I haven't bought this. It could be crap but a few hours of fiddling doesn't seem like a basis for reviewing.



I agree with you 100%

If I find something worth performing, I wil practice for hours upon hours daily to perfect it before ever putting it in my show.

But each day between day 1 and my performance, I would perform it for a family member or good honest friend. To be sure I'm on the right track and not wasting my time.

I performed this piece for a family member and my girlfriend/assistant (who is always brutally honest.) They were both immediately able to see the secret.

In some cases, a method isn't strong enough to support itself regardless of practice.

So while I wholeheartedly support Nicholas Lawrence and think he is SUPER creative, this one just misses on so many levels. So much so, that I have no desire to practice it any further. When you're in the magic business literally your whole life, you can start to easily recognize what is practical and what isn't from the moment you see it.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1761 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Don't you think its odd that E would say the difficulty level is "Easy" if the effect was very angle sensitive and required a lot of practice to look good in the real world? isn't listing something as "easy" a selling point, even if it in reality it may not be? hmmm...
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Oh well Madison ... Thanks for the review , I might have to reconsider ...

Maybe E only meant : " easy to perform for cameras ... "
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7896 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Difficulty: Easy

That to me states no practice required.

Give it up Slackerking, you wanted it to be workable but it isn't. Don't kid yourself and move on.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
539 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
I don't have this, but since it was literally just released it seems improbable that anyone could have practiced this enough to make it look good in one day. One of the constant on threads I've noticed over the last few years I've been here is that an awful lot of people want self working, perfect angles and examinable. Very unrealistic, magic takes practice. If you want novelty gags then that's a different thing. Magic takes practice.

Again, I haven't bought this. It could be crap but a few hours of fiddling doesn't seem like a basis for reviewing.



I agree with you 100%

If I find something worth performing, I wil practice for hours upon hours daily to perfect it before ever putting it in my show.

But each day between day 1 and my performance, I would perform it for a family member or good honest friend. To be sure I'm on the right track and not wasting my time.

I performed this piece for a family member and my girlfriend/assistant (who is always brutally honest.) They were both immediately able to see the secret.

In some cases, a method isn't strong enough to support itself regardless of practice.

So while I wholeheartedly support Nicholas Lawrence and think he is SUPER creative, this one just misses on so many levels. So much so, that I have no desire to practice it any further. When you're in the magic business literally your whole life, you can start to easily recognize what is practical and what isn't from the moment you see it.


Madison with out revealing methods or the gimmick what is it about it, in your opinion, that is tipping spectators. Is it angles the speed of gimmick or its motion or thickness....etc. None of these factors seem to be present in the trailer. Yes I know trailers always showcase an effect in its "best light" but your review and what we see on the trailer seem 180 degrees apart. Not questioning either you or the trailer but wanted you to elaborate on the levels it misses at (if you can) with out exposing anything.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, Scott Imler wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, Slackerking wrote:
I don't have this, but since it was literally just released it seems improbable that anyone could have practiced this enough to make it look good in one day. One of the constant on threads I've noticed over the last few years I've been here is that an awful lot of people want self working, perfect angles and examinable. Very unrealistic, magic takes practice. If you want novelty gags then that's a different thing. Magic takes practice.

Again, I haven't bought this. It could be crap but a few hours of fiddling doesn't seem like a basis for reviewing.



I agree with you 100%

If I find something worth performing, I wil practice for hours upon hours daily to perfect it before ever putting it in my show.

But each day between day 1 and my performance, I would perform it for a family member or good honest friend. To be sure I'm on the right track and not wasting my time.

I performed this piece for a family member and my girlfriend/assistant (who is always brutally honest.) They were both immediately able to see the secret.

In some cases, a method isn't strong enough to support itself regardless of practice.

So while I wholeheartedly support Nicholas Lawrence and think he is SUPER creative, this one just misses on so many levels. So much so, that I have no desire to practice it any further. When you're in the magic business literally your whole life, you can start to easily recognize what is practical and what isn't from the moment you see it.


Madison with out revealing methods or the gimmick what is it about it, in your opinion, that is tipping spectators. Is it angles the speed of gimmick or its motion or thickness....etc. None of these factors seem to be present in the trailer. Yes I know trailers always showcase an effect in its "best light" but your review and what we see on the trailer seem 180 degrees apart. Not questioning either you or the trailer but wanted you to elaborate on the levels it misses at (if you can) with out exposing anything.



Yes to all of your questions Smile
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
Tunehv- Ive personally fooled working magicians LIVE with Chroma & concider the working to be 'easy and practial to say the least but even an "easy" trick is not technically Easy... Is it ? Its magic, there is a reason only 1% of the earths population chooses magic as there personal hobby or profession. Im quite confident using Chroma & not bothered by those who cant... Every magic product is not for everyone, see me at a convention & ill show you how a professional can take a simple tool or system and apply it to a real world situation easily & make it look like real world Workable magic, simply because it is.
I appreciate the feedback & respect your opinions, as well ill always take criticism and apply it to my future projects.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
There is almost nothing more to practice with this other than flicking your wrist.
Even in the video demo you can see flashes so in real life it is worse. Low lighting helps.

Cool for the camera though, especially if the card moves just out of shot during the change.

More ellusionist hype as to be expected, but their claims are true:

- No flaps > technically true
- No folds > true
- No creases > true
- Use ANY cards, even Madison Blanks > true

Even Madison blanks eh? - well, if you can use those cards then it must be amazing! Although you would need to adopt a 'tough guy' low pitch voice and take yourself rather seriously.
christopherTheConjurer
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of christopherTheConjurer
As a singular effect this looks nice and if used for a promo video would certainly add some wow. I think if added to a routine in the right way, this could add polish. but the really skill in a trick like this is in audience management. Angles shouldn't be a problem to anyone with good audience management skills. If you hold up the card and say "look" your asking to be court but if you slide it in to a routine in the right way your going to get something your audience will be talking about.
WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
512 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
I am privy to the workings of this and I just made one up with the stuff I have around...super easy to make! Love it!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1761 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Well I'm a huge fan of Nicholas' work, so I'm not going to argue further as the effect's limitations just arent for me. I've shared my thoughts and will move on and eagerly look forward to his next release.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, christopherTheConjurer wrote:
As a singular effect this looks nice and if used for a promo video would certainly add some wow. I think if added to a routine in the right way, this could add polish. but the really skill in a trick like this is in audience management. Angles shouldn't be a problem to anyone with good audience management skills. If you hold up the card and say "look" your asking to be court but if you slide it in to a routine in the right way your going to get something your audience will be talking about.



I think people try to justify way too many problems with the "audience management" answer. The angles are too sensitive. It's not the angles in worried about. It's the undeniable flash of color that can be seen clear as day by the spectators.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7896 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, christopherTheConjurer wrote:
As a singular effect this looks nice and if used for a promo video would certainly add some wow. I think if added to a routine in the right way, this could add polish. but the really skill in a trick like this is in audience management. Angles shouldn't be a problem to anyone with good audience management skills. If you hold up the card and say "look" your asking to be court but if you slide it in to a routine in the right way your going to get something your audience will be talking about.


Oh dear, oh dear. Lol. "Ok, audience, on the count of 3 I want you to all close your eyes for 1 second."

Smile
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of Maxy
I think waving hand while change is happenning will cover any possible flash.
IMHO for this price it is a good deal.
I didn't buy yet it but I will.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2660 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Your better off with a DB card !
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Tunehv- Ive personally fooled working magicians LIVE with Chroma


Well quit bugging them while they are working so they can pay more attention. Sheesh. Smile

Quote:
see me at a convention & ill show you how a professional can take a simple tool or system and apply it to a real world situation easily & make it look like real world Workable magic, simply because it is.


Well aren't you rather chuffed with yourself. It makes it sound like you're insulting the rest of us who might be beneath a "pro" like yourself.
Official Thread Killer
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7896 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, Maxy wrote:
I think waving hand while change is happenning will cover any possible flash.
IMHO for this price it is a good deal.
I didn't buy yet it but I will.


Listen to Tophatter.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1703 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
What is the difference between this and the Rob Bromley Changing Card put out by Bob Swadling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdtw2JMECac
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Magic McKing
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Magic McKing
After putting hours of practice in it, I can honestly say it looks great... on camera. I don't usually complain about things under $20, but I wish I didn't toss $15 away if I didn't have to. The 'secret' is just too obvious and doesn't work live. There's a reason why in the trailer it was always partially out of frame during a critical moment. Be warned.. save your money folks..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chroma by Nicholas Lawrence & Lloyd Barnes (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL